AT&T to buy T-Mobile USA for $39 billion

There are 16 comments on the Mar 20, 2011, El Paso Times story titled AT&T to buy T-Mobile USA for $39 billion. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

AT&T Inc., the country's second-largest wireless carrier in the United States, on Sunday said it will buy T-Mobile USA, the fourth-largest, from Deutsche Telekom AG in a cash-and-stock deal valued at $39 billion.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Adolf

El Paso, TX

#1 Mar 20, 2011
Guess the Germans couldn't stay in the game. You know who would have been disappointed.

Since: Dec 10

EP

#2 Mar 20, 2011
Great, i hate att they are greedy and could care less about there customers, not that any company cares. Going to have to start paying more for having a line. I think cricket is next for me ewwww.
Jake

El Paso, TX

#3 Mar 20, 2011
ravieus wrote:
Great, i hate att they are greedy and could care less about there customers, not that any company cares. Going to have to start paying more for having a line. I think cricket is next for me ewwww.
wELL, if our contract is written in ink with T-Mobile, isn't this grounds for terminating the contract. I'm with T-Mobile and have been waiting my time to expire. I'm with you' in that I don't want to have to pay more. There must be a way out. If anyone knows about it, speak up!
Jake

El Paso, TX

#4 Mar 20, 2011
I meant to add: keep a sharp eye on your monthly bill. Mine went up by 51cents. When I called T-Mobile I had to force an answer. It turns out the extra money is "for tax recovery"? This plus the aforementioned baloney just doesn't add up.
Finepix

Pflugerville, TX

#5 Mar 20, 2011
Anything AT&T touches turns to crap.

Since: Dec 10

EP

#6 Mar 20, 2011
Jake wrote:
I meant to add: keep a sharp eye on your monthly bill. Mine went up by 51cents. When I called T-Mobile I had to force an answer. It turns out the extra money is "for tax recovery"? This plus the aforementioned baloney just doesn't add up.
Yeah Jake they added an extra tax for all phones starting this month, I got a letter last month from them telling me. But wow man you called for 51 cents lol, i usually call for $5 and up. Actually since your contract is with tmobile, att has to grandfather that plan so you wont't have to pay more. What you can do to try and get out of the contract is get a service that you pay as you go in a way. It's almost like a regular contract just that its not a contract. I think they charge you a couple more bucks but you can cancel anytime. Thats what I ended up doing and even thou I dont like tmobile as much as i used to i think it the best big company that was left.
yake

Milwaukee, WI

#7 Mar 20, 2011
I hate AT&T!!! Worst costumer care!
Watchman

United States

#8 Mar 20, 2011
I have a bad feeling about this. I was with AT&T wireless back in the day and their customer service is horrible. I'm not sure if that has changed any since (2003-ish).

I told my wife about the sale and she's not happy about it at all. We don't know what to expect--we've been loyal T-Mobile customers for almost 5 years and I've had nothing but great experiences with their customer service by phone. The only thing I've hated about T-Mobile is going to their stores. If things start getting crappy with AT&T, we'll likely find a way to opt out of our contract.

I guess the good news is I might be able to actually get an iPhone in the future.
well well

El Paso, TX

#10 Mar 21, 2011
I was planning on switching from At&T to T-mobile after my contract was up...so much for that.
As a side note, I've never had a bad experience with AT&T. HOWEVER, they are flippin expensive...
Ron Burgundy

El Paso, TX

#11 Mar 21, 2011
oh will ATT bring please back Catherine Zeta Jones for their TV commercials?? She is one hot app I would like to like to download!!
Back to Basics

El Paso, TX

#12 Mar 21, 2011
Aww great! Now I'm goi... Drop....Calls....more than...efor...and I'm going to drop calls all tog
Que Desmadre

El Paso, TX

#13 Mar 21, 2011
If it was the other way around and T-Mobile was buying AT & T then that would be OK, but this is not good for the customer. Hope your contract end date is near, start shopping around cause if you stay with AT & T your service is going to go down hill FAST!
MattMann

El Paso, TX

#14 Mar 21, 2011
Finepix wrote:
Anything AT&T touches turns to crap.
Sam can be said for Sprint.
William Branham

United States

#15 Mar 21, 2011
The CWA contract will expire this year ! AT+T---give me my serverance and retirement money ! Hasta luego amigo ! I was penalized because I could not make it into work during a very bad snow storm we had in New Jersey eventhough the Union Contract provides a MPET snow day for me a card carrying memeber of the CWA. Despite my effort to get to work during a very bad blizzard, I was denied my "paid day" (mpet day)......just incredible ! We union workers at AT+T are monitored to the nth degree, don't forget to push to the little button when it is time to take "tinkle break" !
Well

Laguna Hills, CA

#17 Mar 21, 2011
William Branham wrote:
The CWA contract will expire this year ! AT+T---give me my serverance and retirement money ! Hasta luego amigo ! I was penalized because I could not make it into work during a very bad snow storm we had in New Jersey eventhough the Union Contract provides a MPET snow day for me a card carrying memeber of the CWA. Despite my effort to get to work during a very bad blizzard, I was denied my "paid day" (mpet day)......just incredible ! We union workers at AT+T are monitored to the nth degree, don't forget to push to the little button when it is time to take "tinkle break" !
follow tht rules dude.
William Branham

Somerset, NJ

#18 Mar 29, 2011
Well wrote:
<quoted text>
follow tht rules dude.
Yo ! I and thousands of CWA UNION WORKERS FOLLOW THE RULES OF THE CONTRACT AND THE RULES OF AT+T MICROMANAGEMENT AND WE STILL HAVE PROBLEMS ! This is the last year of the contract, I want my serverance money and pension and it is ADIOS AMIGOS !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deutsche Telekom AG Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Court nixes Deutsche Telekom's broadband cap (Oct '13) Oct '13 Jak Manson 1
News Possible merger deal brewing with T-Mobile and ... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Divil 1
News Deutsche Telekom, Magyar Unit Settle Bribery Ca... (Dec '11) Jan '12 polin 3
News Nasdaq's failed NYSE bid a "brief interlude": CEO (May '11) May '11 Nacy 1
News AT&T to buy T-Mobile USA for $39 billion | The ... (Mar '11) Mar '11 workingdadof7 18
News AT&T to try to buy T-Mobile USA; Wireless giant... (Mar '11) Mar '11 mnremark 11
News Yemen's weakened leader loses support of own tribe (Mar '11) Mar '11 tonia 4
More from around the web