Dogs in Duane Reade? yes, no, yes, no--why???

Posted in the Duane Reade Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Eileen

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2008

Judged:

I am baffled by the so called "policy" or lack of policy of the Duane Reade drug stores in our neighborhood. For several years (our dog is 6 years old), we always brought our dog to the various Duane Reades in the area--72nd and West End in particular, and later the 75th and Broadway. No one mentioned that dogs are not allowed--mind you--years! went by. Then the 72nd st store suddenly posts "No Dogs Allowed", so we go to the 75th and B-way store instead. Then they follow suit and post a sign. Of course, we reluctantly obey--its very inconvenient to not bring the dog when the animal needs a walk and your child needs a prescription or other products.
Then the 75th st store takes down the sign and we happily begin bringing the dog in again. this goes on for several months.
Today we are shopping at DR 75th St and suddenly a manager tells us dogs are again not allowed. There is not a sign posted--just an arbitrary rule imposed by whoever happens to work there.
I must protest this treatment of the customer. Dogs are part of our lives-its not a food store--the food that is sold there is all packaged up in cans, boxes or bags, and there is no health hazard involved. So what is the deal with this?

A confused and angry customer considering moving her business elsewhere
Lll

Westbury, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2008

Judged:

I think you should brush yourself up on the Dept of health codes. before you accuse these stores of just making up these what you call rules. by NY State Dept Of Health Laws Pets Are NOT allowed in these stores
Duane Reade Employee

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2009

Judged:

Lady..obviously you are retarted nd do not know how to read..if u got ur head out of ur ass you would know that it is a health code violation..its just a dog for godsakes..if it dies..get another one..how would you like it if a dog shitted in your house?!?! would u care then?!?! u city ppl r stupid nd have no class...
mike

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

i agree. i live in midtown east and have the same problem. i do my grocery shopping at duane reade while walking my dog, so i'm in duane reade basically every day- the 47th and Lex one, the 46 and 3rd and the 42nd and Lex. There is one manager at this store who says dogs aren't allowed, but I always see dogs in them... I think its because my dog is a pitbull, and frankly, many people are racist against them...

... everyone says its against the health code to have a dog in a drug store, but i don't think so. I think its against the health code to bring a dog into a place food is prepared, but D.R. doesn't prepare anything. someone please show me the health code!(ps i called 311 and they had no answers)
CHERYL

Norwalk, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2009

Judged:

Duane Reade Employee wrote:
Lady..obviously you are retarted nd do not know how to read..if u got ur head out of ur ass you would know that it is a health code violation..its just a dog for godsakes..if it dies..get another one..how would you like it if a dog shitted in your house?!?! would u care then?!?! u city ppl r stupid nd have no class...
HAHA, HOW FUNNY IS THAT? YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SPELL RETARDED! HOPE SOMEONE IS MORE UNDERSTANDING WITH YOU THAN YOU ARE WITH OTHER PEOPLE. I'M PRAYING FOR YOU!
BEANs

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2010

Judged:

TAKE SOME SPELLING LESSENS, THEN TRY TO COMPOSE A POST THAT MAKES SOME SENSE. I'M GUESSING MY DOG HAS MORE CLASS AND SMARTS THAN YOU ;) HAHA. SEEMS AS THOUGH MGRS AT DR'S ENFORCE THIS RULE DIFFERENTLY - I'M NOT SURE WHY BUT DOGS CERTAINLY SHOULD BE ALLOWED.
BEANS

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2010

Judged:

TAKE SOME SPELLING LESSENS, THEN TRY TO COMPOSE A POST THAT MAKES SOME SENSE. I'M GUESSING MY DOG HAS MORE CLASS AND SMARTS THAN YOU ;) HAHA. SEEMS AS THOUGH MGRS AT DR'S ENFORCE THIS RULE DIFFERENTLY - I'M NOT SURE WHY BUT DOGS CERTAINLY SHOULD BE ALLOWED.
Ella

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2010

I'm just extremely curious. Opinions aside and all, is there actually a law that states that dogs are not allowed to enter pharmacies? Or is it left to the disccretion of the chain or pharmacy?
Thanks!
anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2010

Judged:

In the city and every urban area, there is rats and mice everywhere so why are they worry about dogs. Duane reade should like CVS turn a blind eye against those silly DOH regulations. Have you ever drink coffee or a beverage on the subways. Did you know that is a violation according to the MTA. They can fine you for this. Get my drift.
Sebastien

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2010

Judged:

Rite aid 96th and 2nd, Duane Reade 94th and 3rd, CVS 91st and 3rd are other stores that now have a no dog policy. I believe that all the stores of the above listed chains in NYC do not allow dogs. They also all lie and claim that it is a department of health violation. I spent 3 hours researching this claim and calling the Dept of Health and Hygiene, 311, and the ASPCA. I can tell everyone who is curious, THERE IS NO SUCH LAW! This is NOT a health code violation! This is a corporate policy. But no one at any of the chains will admit this. I knew other people were upset about CVS, Duane Reade and Rite Aid’s no dog policy. If enough people voice their discontent, maybe these drug stores will reverse their policy. Today a Rite Aid cashier told me it was because they didn’t like cleaning up the occasional mess. My dog Charlie has NEVER urinated or worse in any store. I remember having to clean up after dog accidents while working at Blockbuster. I never complained. I just did my job. The other objections that were voiced by the cashier were “that it’s not fair to people who are allergic or afraid of dogs”. The FACT is that only 2-5% of the population is afraid of dogs, AKA cynophobia. Furthermore only 10-15% of the population is allergic to dogs, and this is assuming that they have contact with the dog, not standing one foot away from the dog. In contrast 37.5% of US households have dogs. THESE ARE DOCUMENTED FACTS! Google it yourself if you doubt it. So I must ask, why are these chains favoring the minority over the majority?
The Commander

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2011

Judged:

If a dog poops in a store, most dog owners will not
be willing to do the cleanup. They will claim that
it is a natural function & the owners use this as an excuse to evade any responsibility.
This happened in my own store & now I bar any dogs from coming in. The city is no place for dogs.
My Purse Dog Is 60 lbs

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2011

Dog health rules are insane! Please, if there should be a health issues it shouldn't be against dogs, mine is just like a furry baby. There should just be a fine, like if your dog does its business in a restaurant. There should just be certain rules, they shouldn't just go ban dogs entirely! Wouldn't your pooch rather be running around the city, rather than eating your brand new couch at home.
The Emmis

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2011

Judged:

I just went into the DR on Broadway just north of Battery Park. A women was walking the aisles with her dog. Fact: this DR sell fresh fruits, vegetables and sandwiches as do many of their stores. These are not sealed packages like a bag of potato chips. If having a dog in DR is not currently a health code violation, it's only because the DOH has not reclassified DR as a food seller. The DOH will be notified Monday morning.
diana

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2012

Judged:

I couldn't agree more. Hasn't the health dept. Figured it out that "YOU GET SICK FROM HUMANS, CHILDREN AND NOT DOGS!!!!"! It pisses me off to NO END that messy, dirty, misbehaved children can enter stores and not dogs. I don't care for children and yet I have to tolerate them....so you know what? All the people need to suck it up and deal with MY furry kids!
Sebastien wrote:
Rite aid 96th and 2nd, Duane Reade 94th and 3rd, CVS 91st and 3rd are other stores that now have a no dog policy. I believe that all the stores of the above listed chains in NYC do not allow dogs. They also all lie and claim that it is a department of health violation. I spent 3 hours researching this claim and calling the Dept of Health and Hygiene, 311, and the ASPCA. I can tell everyone who is curious, THERE IS NO SUCH LAW! This is NOT a health code violation! This is a corporate policy. But no one at any of the chains will admit this. I knew other people were upset about CVS, Duane Reade and Rite Aid’s no dog policy. If enough people voice their discontent, maybe these drug stores will reverse their policy. Today a Rite Aid cashier told me it was because they didn’t like cleaning up the occasional mess. My dog Charlie has NEVER urinated or worse in any store. I remember having to clean up after dog accidents while working at Blockbuster. I never complained. I just did my job. The other objections that were voiced by the cashier were “that it’s not fair to people who are allergic or afraid of dogs”. The FACT is that only 2-5% of the population is afraid of dogs, AKA cynophobia. Furthermore only 10-15% of the population is allergic to dogs, and this is assuming that they have contact with the dog, not standing one foot away from the dog. In contrast 37.5% of US households have dogs. THESE ARE DOCUMENTED FACTS! Google it yourself if you doubt it. So I must ask, why are these chains favoring the minority over the majority?
diana

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2012

Commander: and you this children are saints? Give me a break.....they are rodents as far as I am concerned!
The Commander wrote:
If a dog poops in a store, most dog owners will not
be willing to do the cleanup. They will claim that
it is a natural function & the owners use this as an excuse to evade any responsibility.
This happened in my own store & now I bar any dogs from coming in. The city is no place for dogs.
LJNYC

Forest Hills, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2012

Judged:

I have a dog and if he pooped in a store I would clean it up (same for if he peed in a store). The people who don't clean up after their dogs are the ones who make trouble for the rest of us.
RNM

Astoria, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

No way Jose. All of you thinking that it is OK for dogs to go into a pharmacy or story sniffing away, you are WRONG. You better start planning your walks separate from your visits to the store. I am allergic and the last thing I need is to be bumping into a dog where they are not allowed. It is an "ANIMAL" for God's sake. I have witnessed one too many dogs putting their nose where it does not belong and clueless dog owners that think it is cute. It is the nastiest thing I could see.
GERARDO ALMANZA

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

DOGS DO NOT BELONG IN STORE WHERE HYGIENE IS REQUIRED BE IT FOOD STORE OR HEALTH STORE THAT SELL MEDICATIONS.
PERIOD THE END. AS TO ALL OF YOU DOG LOVERS, THAT IS FINE BUT KEEP THAT IN THE PRIVACY OF YOUR HOME OR WHERE IT IS ALLOWED. AS TO PIT BULL OWNERS, THESE DOGS ARE NOT RELIABLE FOR THE SECURITY OF OTHERS AS THEY HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO TURN ON THEIR OWN OWNERS AND ATTACK THIRD PARTY PEOPLE RANDOMLY. IT IS A DISGRACE THAT A FEW PEOPLE AND PARTICULARLY LADIES THAT PARTAKE IN HUSBAND SUBSTITUTION WITH DOGS INSIST ON IMPOSING DOGS EVERYWHERE TO EVERYONE.
Ella

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

GERARDO ALMANZA wrote:
DOGS DO NOT BELONG IN STORE WHERE HYGIENE IS REQUIRED BE IT FOOD STORE OR HEALTH STORE THAT SELL MEDICATIONS.
PERIOD THE END. AS TO ALL OF YOU DOG LOVERS, THAT IS FINE BUT KEEP THAT IN THE PRIVACY OF YOUR HOME OR WHERE IT IS ALLOWED. AS TO PIT BULL OWNERS, THESE DOGS ARE NOT RELIABLE FOR THE SECURITY OF OTHERS AS THEY HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO TURN ON THEIR OWN OWNERS AND ATTACK THIRD PARTY PEOPLE RANDOMLY. IT IS A DISGRACE THAT A FEW PEOPLE AND PARTICULARLY LADIES THAT PARTAKE IN HUSBAND SUBSTITUTION WITH DOGS INSIST ON IMPOSING DOGS EVERYWHERE TO EVERYONE.
You piece of shit male chauvinist ass! Because a woman chooses to have a dog does not mean she doesn't want to get married and for your information, most dogs are sweeter, more considerate and cleaner than most men I encounter lately. Also, pitt bulls are very mild mannered and sweet, they only turn on people if severely abused (like any dog would, they just have happen to be bred by mankind to have a stronger jaw). Educate yourself before you sound like a discriminatory ignorant fool.

Ps. I understand dogs not allowed in restaurants, it makes sense, but a phamacy where everything is perfectly sealed is just silly.
Anonymous

Southbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

I LOVE MY DOG. IM PLANNING A SIT IN TO PROTEST THESE ANTI-LOVE DUANE READES. THE WHOLE MONTH OF AUGUST I SAY WE BEING OUR PITBULLS INTO DUANE READE. MY DOG IS A BETTER SPELLER THAN MOST OF YOU GUYS OR ATLEAST WRITES WITH LESS RUN-ON SENTENCES AND I SHAVED HIM FOR THE SUMMER AND NOW HE WON'T EAT DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS. ALSO HE HAS DRY SKIN EVEN THOUGH HIS DIET INCLUDES A LOT OF SALMON. I HEARD ANCHOVIES WORK WELL.
WOOF. FOREVER.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Duane Reade Discussions

Search the Duane Reade Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
should dogs be allowed in all Duane Reade Stores? (Sep '13) Sep '13 hedwig9999 1
Dollar General Names Richard W. Dreiling CEO (Jan '08) Jul '13 Andrea Rayner 4
Walgreens promotes Magnacca to executive vice p... (Feb '13) Feb '13 knowit 11
A Tale of Three CEOs: Romney, Bain, and a Crook... (Aug '12) Aug '12 anneutral 9
dogs inside a pharmacy (May '12) Jul '12 Christopher 2
New York Man Convicted of Armed Robbery (Sep '08) Aug '10 jb Brooklyn NY 2
DRSI ReStore! Energy continues retail rollout (Jul '10) Jul '10 Mike Rogers 1
•••
•••
•••
•••