Ducati would consider Harley-Davidson...

Ducati would consider Harley-Davidson merger - anytime,' CFO says

There are 47 comments on the Financial Times story from Jun 12, 2007, titled Ducati would consider Harley-Davidson merger - anytime,' CFO says. In it, Financial Times reports that:

“In the US, we do not have critical mass”

Ducati Motor Holding, the listed Italian motorcycle manufacturer, would consider a merger with US-based Harley-Davidson "anytime", said Enrico D'Onofrio, CFO. via Financial Times

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Financial Times.

djl

United States

#21 Aug 3, 2007
Grow up,
I ride suzuki sport bikes becuase ducati's suck rocks and pavement, and the dip wad that said he leaves the harleys in second gear is missing the point the harley is a cruiser, and I would be proud to sit my bare ass or my leathers on any harley seat, as a matter of fact on any seat, but keep the european sportbikes in europe where they can be pompus, pretentious and assinine like most things european
998s - lisboa

Almada, Portugal

#22 Aug 4, 2007
Keep your good machines in US, we will keep our bad sport machines like Ducati in Europe.
Please don't ride a ducati, the machine don't deserve jap lovers.
I personaly prefer a Harley to any Jap bike, but I'm a pretentious European!
djl wrote:
Grow up,
I ride suzuki sport bikes becuase ducati's suck rocks and pavement, and the dip wad that said he leaves the harleys in second gear is missing the point the harley is a cruiser, and I would be proud to sit my bare ass or my leathers on any harley seat, as a matter of fact on any seat, but keep the european sportbikes in europe where they can be pompus, pretentious and assinine like most things european
Harleyglide

United States

#23 Aug 6, 2007
A merger would only help ducati,you can count on one hand how many you see on the street in a day.As far as whos better both have there own following.Be glad your riding whatever brand of bike!!!!!
Rob

Brookhaven, PA

#24 Aug 20, 2007
I have owned Japanese and Italian bikes... Everything from an YZ490, CB750, Katana 600, Piaggio Bv200, Ducati 620ie and a Moto Guzzi 1100 Jackel. I bought my first Harley this year. A 2007 Sportster 1200r. No plastic, top finish, well built 1950s motorcycle with modern reliability. Harley is like a tractor, ride as such and it can out last any bike made today. The design is old, but build quality leaves the rest behind. If you want a modern vintage bike that holds value and lasts forever... Buy a Harley. I hated Harley for years, I still don't care for the big twins and some of there attitudes, but don't hate the bike. the best built vintage modern bike in the world is the Harley Davidson Sportster. It is just sad they don't get much respect from other Harley riders. Lets face it, posers s__k no matter what brand they ride. As for Japanese cruisers, they do not sell very well here in the states; they do out perform Harleys, but require more service and do not last as long. The Japanese cruisers also have way too much plastic and other sub standard parts. The dealerships do not kiss your a__ like Harley Dealerships do either. The Japanese dealerships near me mostly sell mostly crotch rockets; performance of Japanese race bikes and scooters is great, but good luck with a warranty issue… The evo motor saved Harley... Look no more oil spots... and it runs... I guess Evo motor makes Harley not so vintage. My friend has 180,000 miles on his... Many old Harley people hate the Evo because there is not much to fix or repair. If you want a reliable tractor like motorcycle for nice rides in the countryside, you can’t beat a Harley. I love mine and you can pass me, put I will be nice enough to call 911 when you are lying motionless on the road… I lived through dirt bikes, I moved onto crutch rockets… I managed to live through them… now I own a Harley. Vintage scooters are for anyone, but big mega scooters are for crippled old men. I may buy one when I can no longer put my leg over the Harley…

Be safe out there no matter what you ride,

Rob
xsjohn

Dunn, NC

#25 Aug 21, 2007
What I don't understand is why Harley doesn't put a water jacket on their cylinders and head and watercool the thing.......It is not against the law........Would a radiator really tick off the die hards......Seems it would be better than loosing the battle completely....

John
Irover

United States

#27 Aug 21, 2007
I saw recently that Harley is building a NEW engine
plant to open sometime in 08-09 time frame. Now why
would they need a new engine plant? Perhaps to build
the next generation water cooled HARLEY ??
buell boy

Seattle, WA

#28 Oct 24, 2007
buell, harly's sister company is building a water cooled v twin coming out in 2008.
PAUL SHYKORA

Calgary, Canada

#29 Oct 24, 2007
NO!NO! NO!! KEEP HARLEY-DAVIDSON ''PURE'',AND NORTH AMERICAN !! LET THIS GREAT COMPANY BUY INTO BUELL,TREK ,AND INTO OTHER GREAT NORTH AMERICAN COMPANIES !!'' BE TRUE UNTO THY SELF''!!HAVE A GREAT AND '''HAPPY-RIDING''' CANADIAN THANKSGIVING THANKYOU !! GOD BLESS YOU !! THE HILLBILLY FARMBOY HAS SPOKEN !!!!....
Irover

United States

#30 Oct 25, 2007
I hate to rain on your holiday, Hillbilly, but todaya Harley is less "made-in-American" than a HONDA!
Where do you think the forks, wheels, electronics,
tires come from ?? Go to York PA and look in the
back of the plant and see all the containers with
JAPANESE company emblems out back. Remember the old VW bug? Great little car that couldnt pass EPA standards. If Harley doesnt get off its engineering butt and change, its going out of business. Damm it, put a hefty version of the V-Rod engine in the large bikes and kick off the next version of the company !!

“Living Life One Ride at a Time”

Since: Oct 07

Albert Bridge, Nova Scotia

#31 Oct 25, 2007
I think Harley has gotten off it's engineering butt with the changes they have made in the last few years. The TC88 seemed to improve on the Evo and to me at least it has proven to be a tough dependable engine. This engine wasn't developed overnight nor was the Vrod power plant. I understand it took over 2 years in co-operation with Porsche to come up with the "revolution" engine that is reportedly almost bullet proof. I'm the cruiser style rider so I am not one that is likely to buy a Vrod but I do appreciate that it has a place in the market. I also suspect that in the not too distant future, we will find a version of the water cooled Vrod "revolution" engine in the other street models. The air cooled engines don't seem to be able to meet the upcoming EPA standards without creating some serious overheating problems. I don't put much stock in the merger rumor mill as although motorcycle sales in general are slumping, HD is still a strong contender. The industry enjoyed a period of resurgence and has levelled off to some degree. As in any industry there are cycles of highs and lows. Harley has a broad market base beyond it's motorcycles ie:, accessories, clothing, regalia etc. so I don't forsee them in a financial bind of any serious magnitude.
The motorcycle industry as a whole produces bikes for every taste and purpose. We as riders need only to find the make, model, and style of bike we want to ride and enjoy the choice we've made. I see no need in slamming any brand simply because it is not one of your personal choices. In my opinion that those who slam particular manufacturers do so out of ignorance, prejudice, and a juvenile mentality. It is always great fun amongst ourselves in good natured bantering to chide one another about the make of bike we ride but when one gets to believing the BS and spewing it with venom and emotion, they have crossed the line. We talk about freedom of choice in respect to helmet laws, noise regulations etc., why aren't we just as adamant about the freedom to choose what we ride?
Mohit

Delhi, India

#32 Nov 19, 2007
these bikes rock the roads
bkw2112

Lincoln, NE

#33 Feb 15, 2008
yes I agree...HD gives the USA a very bad reputation as motorcycle builders, one group of HD riders are meth-heads w/ missing teeth w/ bags all over the bike, cause their homeless, the other is the extreme opposite, doctors, lawyers etc..that think buying a HD makes them a culd-a-sac badass, Americans...why the attraction w/ dirty old hippy turned meth dealer motorcycles???
I Fu*#en hate HD!!! white trash bikes, have been since the 60's

“Living Life One Ride at a Time”

Since: Oct 07

Albert Bridge, Nova Scotia

#34 Feb 16, 2008
bkw2112 wrote:
yes I agree...HD gives the USA a very bad reputation as motorcycle builders, one group of HD riders are meth-heads w/ missing teeth w/ bags all over the bike, cause their homeless, the other is the extreme opposite, doctors, lawyers etc..that think buying a HD makes them a culd-a-sac badass, Americans...why the attraction w/ dirty old hippy turned meth dealer motorcycles???
Who peed in your corn flakes? I take it from your rambling that you are not a Harley fan so pray tell what do you ride or do you ride anything? A lot of venom spewing from such a little snake if you ask me.

“Work to Ride - Ride to Work!”

Since: Nov 07

Kingston PA

#35 Feb 16, 2008
bkw2112 wrote:
Yes. This is why I shall continue to ride HD. Just to aggravate YOU!
bigtony

Sulphur, LA

#37 Feb 17, 2008
Harley gives American motorcycles a bad name. What the [email protected]#k? A freind of mine has riden all over the world on his harley, from Central and south america, all over europe, hong kong, tokyo, even in the middle east. He says he is always meet with enthusiasm and people flock around his bike and they all want to ride or have their picture taken with the bike, say what you will about harleys mechanical short comings, but to say they give motorcycles a bad name is pure bullshit. Besides how many "meth heads" can travel the world. And if you ever insinuate that I am to my face instesd of hiding behind your keyboard, I'll kick you little ass.
John Galt

Cincinnati, OH

#38 Feb 17, 2008
bigtony wrote:
Harley gives American motorcycles a bad name. What the [email protected]#k?...And if you ever insinuate that I am to my face instesd of hiding behind your keyboard, I'll kick you little ass.
Wow, you are a rebel, aren't you? You've just verbally assaulted and threatened battery to a complete stranger on the internet. It must be a big job requiring a big guy to beat up everybody who disagrees with you. You must be very busy. And I'm sure you've changed his and millions of other people's opinions of Harley-Davidsons and Harley riders forever. Congratulations. You must be very proud. BTW, I suspect HD might pay you to NOT defend their image. You might want to look into that. A few extra dollars could be useful for bail, anger management counseling, and grammar/spelling lessons. Good luck with it.
John Galt

Cincinnati, OH

#39 Feb 17, 2008
bigtony wrote:
Harley gives American motorcycles a bad name. What the [email protected]#k?...And if you ever insinuate that I am to my face instesd of hiding behind your keyboard, I'll kick you little ass.
Wow, you are a rebel, aren't you? You just verbally assaulted and threatened battery to a total stranger over the internet. It must be a BIG job requiring a BIG man to commit assault and battery on everyone who disagrees with you. You must be very busy. And I'm sure you've changed his and millions of others' opinions of Harley-Davidson motorcycles and their riders. You must be very proud. BTW, I suspect if you contact HD and tell them a little about yourself, they might pay you to NOT defend them. A few extra dollars could be useful for bail, anger management therapy, and grammar/spelling lessons. Good luck with it.
bigtony

Sulphur, LA

#40 Feb 17, 2008
Im not defending HD, But to say that HD riders are either Meth-heads or Doctors and lawyers only is just bullshit, there are a lot of regular Joes and Janes who ride HD and can appreciate other bikes as well. By the way I have all my teeth and they are perfect. And I make enough money to be bailed out of anything. No I do not threaten people who disagree with me on real issues, but you stared with the name calling.
Ray

Little Rock, AR

#41 Feb 18, 2008
xsjohn wrote:
What I don't understand is why Harley doesn't put a water jacket on their cylinders and head and watercool the thing.......It is not against the law........Would a radiator really tick off the die hards......Seems it would be better than loosing the battle completely....
John
radiators are not for harleys. leave them on the other sh!t so i dont have to look at them.
Ray

Little Rock, AR

#42 Feb 18, 2008
Irover wrote:
I hate to rain on your holiday, Hillbilly, but todaya Harley is less "made-in-American" than a HONDA!
Where do you think the forks, wheels, electronics,
tires come from ?? Go to York PA and look in the
back of the plant and see all the containers with
JAPANESE company emblems out back. Remember the old VW bug? Great little car that couldnt pass EPA standards. If Harley doesnt get off its engineering butt and change, its going out of business. Damm it, put a hefty version of the V-Rod engine in the large bikes and kick off the next version of the company !!
noone wants the v-rod water cooled engine. if you dont like harley the way it is then dont buy one. those of us who can appreciate the fact that they are not going in the direction of whats the newest FAD going are happy just the way they are. it is a loyolty thing, some folks just aint loyal. so if you dont like harley dont buy one i dont care.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ducati Motor Holding SPA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News VW to Build Plants in Mexico, China (Apr '12) May '12 MEND IT 6
News VW to Build Plants in Mexico, China (Apr '12) Apr '12 egg on your face 1
News Ducati Desmosedici RR: Italian Excellence at th... (Jul '09) Jul '09 GrillerX 1
News This Ducati bike will cost you Rs 50 lakh (May '08) May '08 savan patidar 1
News Ducati 1098R Twin (at Nearly 1200cc) Will Race ... (Sep '07) Sep '07 Simon 1
News Ducati: A Story of Passion DVD Released at ProI... (Jul '07) Jul '07 moto_chris 1
News President Napolitano at Ducati (Mar '07) Mar '07 Peter D 1
More from around the web