Ducati would consider Harley-Davidson merger - anytime,' CFO says

Jun 12, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Financial Times

“In the US, we do not have critical mass”

Ducati Motor Holding, the listed Italian motorcycle manufacturer, would consider a merger with US-based Harley-Davidson "anytime", said Enrico D'Onofrio, CFO. via Financial Times

Comments
1 - 20 of 47 Comments Last updated May 6, 2008
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
ex harley employee

Charlestown, MA

#1 Jun 13, 2007
I think Ducati needs to re-evaluate its stand on this topic. A merger with Harley?? what the hell are you thinking? Its not all about the money, but I guess it is to Ducati, I am a full blooded Italian and this makes me a little irritated. Harley Davidson has come a long way in the 100 plus years of its existence. But a merger based soley on stigma is a bad idea. at least with Ducati, you dont have to wrench on them...as much.
32boom

Leominster, MA

#2 Jun 13, 2007
This is a good idea for HD. Replace that awful VRod with a new HD - Harley Ducati! It would be a good merger for Harley.
Ben

Winnipeg, Canada

#3 Jun 15, 2007
That will be a very good deal for both, and for costumers who love power and beauty.
alexandre

Redwood City, CA

#4 Jun 15, 2007
noooooooo.... you cannot mix a white trash oriented piece of metal with a motor with a well engineered motorcycle. Daimler-chrysler merger proves that point!! Mercedes started making mini vans!
Tony

Windsor Locks, CT

#5 Jun 15, 2007
Harley riders would consider them to be Itralian crap, and Ducati fans would consider the association to be a tainting of their marque.
The only winners would be the accountants.

FWIW, there is nothing wrong with the V-Rod drivetrain. Its just that Harley can't get beyond building cruisers. Put that engine in a nice sport tourer and you'll sell thousands.
Joey

Richmond, VA

#6 Jun 17, 2007
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!....Sorr y I just ran from the room screaming at the thought. But it will probably happen.

Since: Jun 07

san francisco

#7 Jun 20, 2007
Ben wrote:
That will be a very good deal for both, and for costumers who love power and beauty.
Yes, but what about Harley?
Scum

UK

#8 Jun 21, 2007
I like Harleys up to TC88 ya can keep the rest. If they wanna build a Superbike use the Buell as the donor bike and go from there.
Scott

San Luis Obispo, CA

#9 Jun 21, 2007
I love Ducati but Harkey doesn't make race engines, they tried that with their 1000cc. They dropped the program and for very years in the 1990's they could win one race. Ducati dominates everything. If Ducati goes in with Harley, I hope they are not down degraded to poor Harley engineering.
Also Harley's labor is far more expensive as their US Labor's demand high salaries because US employees are not are good as immigrants from China, India, Mexico or Europe. US employees keep suing each other, complain too much, discrimination issues and etc.
Ducati doesn't need these problems because the US is under major inflation right now and the US dollar exchange rate stinks.
More and more companies in the US are outsourcing because of the cost of America. Too much and salaries are killing US companies left & right.
Don't get me wrong but have you see the prices for Harley changed from 2000 to 2007, a major change, more and more people are buying Japanese because US wants too much. The term buy live American is not the slogan anymore, it is the land of the greedy killing the budgets of the middle class to outsource for buying.
Scum

Dagenham, UK

#10 Jun 23, 2007
Glad your not my countryman we got a word for the likes of you over here. I thought you lived in the land of the free? I also think a few US brothers would not agree with ya views.
Lou

Pontinha, Portugal

#11 Jun 26, 2007
Harley and Ducati ?????
I was owner of some Ducaties, the best two wheel machine in the world( performance, design, style, sound,...)
I will never put my ass on a Harley, the worst two wheel machine in the world.
HD fan

Tˇrshavn, Faroe Islands

#12 Jun 28, 2007
bullocksss
Chaz

Saint Charles, MO

#13 Jul 11, 2007
Lou wrote:
Harley and Ducati ?????
I was owner of some Ducaties, the best two wheel machine in the world( performance, design, style, sound,...)
Lou, PLEASE KEEP YOUR ASS OFF OF HARLEY, ITS NOT WORTHY ENOUGH FOR OUR LEATHER.

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#14 Jul 11, 2007
This has been relegated pretty much to the rumor mill only as of now:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/06/26/...
Rob

Dallas, TX

#15 Jul 13, 2007
Deep breath everyone! See the bigger picture...Let's hope if it happens they do it right by keeping the lines seperate but take advantage of Harley's superior distribution, marketing AND manufacturing vendors. This will help keep the price of Ducati's competitive and allow them to keep up with consumer demand. Their biz plan projects 50,000 sold vs last years 32,000. Merger would be a BIG plus for Ducati.

For HD, gives them a true sport bike line. Since there are also rumors of Buell switching to Rotax engines. Biggest thing is HD and Ducati share a very similar demographic though totally different riders. Older riders with disposable income. This means HD could reach the "other half" of their prospective buyers who have no interest in cruisers.

I see it as good for everyone!
My deposit is in hand for the 848 in Pearl White when they announce!
jeff hinkle

Greenbrier, TN

#16 Jul 20, 2007
Lou wrote:
Harley and Ducati ?????
a ducatie may be the best to you,but not every one is as smart (ass) as you are. Love my harlely
Frix

Washington, DC

#17 Jul 26, 2007
A ducati-Harley merger would only tarnish ducati's reputation. The problem we run into is that HD is about 20 years behind in engine tech whereas ducati is cutting edge. HD makes shit, they do what every other corporation does after they make a name for themselves; they ride on it. Pretty much every harley since the 80's is built from parts that have been around for the last 50 years. Duc's are actually well built with quality parts and an a realistically useful warranty.

Remember guys, loud pipes don't save lives, they just make you look like a bloated faggot riding a great example of yet another shitty american automobile/ motorcycle.

a bit about buell: buell has their heads in the right place, but the bikes still cant compare to anything japanese or euro.
998s - lisboa

Amora, Portugal

#18 Aug 1, 2007
I love harleys after I left them beind on the mirror in 2nd gear, he he he

Harley-Ducati no thanks. For me is the same Suzuki-Harley or Indian-Ducati.
mick

Louisville, KY

#19 Aug 2, 2007
yes assume position as they say a$$ in the air.

girls look better and hotter driving rockets she she she
uspatriotvet

Herndon, VA

#20 Aug 2, 2007
Gee, both bikes need servicing often.
HD's because the 80 yr old design can't be
rode like a Jap rocket.
Some Harley owners won't learn the right way.
Ducati's because it's not legal to ride them
as they were designed.
Q; Why are German Shepards and Harleys alike?
A; They both like riding in the back of trucks.

Q;Why did FORD build a HD commemorative Pickup?
A; to haul your harley around in the back.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ducati Motor Holding SPA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
VW to Build Plants in Mexico, China (Apr '12) May '12 MEND IT 6
VW to Build Plants in Mexico, China (Apr '12) Apr '12 egg on your face 1
Ducati Desmosedici RR: Italian Excellence at th... (Jul '09) Jul '09 GrillerX 1
This Ducati bike will cost you Rs 50 lakh (May '08) May '08 savan patidar 1
Ducati 1098R Twin (at Nearly 1200cc) Will Race ... (Sep '07) Sep '07 Simon 1
Ducati: A Story of Passion DVD Released at ProI... (Jul '07) Jul '07 moto_chris 1
President Napolitano at Ducati (Mar '07) Mar '07 Peter D 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Ducati Motor Holding SPA People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••