DG Cashiers and keyholders always get...

DG Cashiers and keyholders always get screwed!

Posted in the Dollar General Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Clara

Annapolis, MD

#1 Jan 9, 2009
Ive been a cashier at Dg for almost 2 years and was offered a keyholder position 2 times which i turned down. I see what the keyholders go through and no thank you!! They have to come in no matter what, they have to come in when a cashier calls off, because the manager is too lazy to come in herself. Now Im sure some managers actually do work, mine does not she sits on her butt most of the day, never thanks any of us for keeping our store clean, and keeping things running smoothly. If one of us gets sick, she makes sure to tell all the other employees we are faking it, but god forbid she gets sick, we all have to listen to her moan for a week. and for al her laziness she gets rewarded with bonus after bonus, being told on conference calls what a great job she is doing keeping the store in model store shape. She did nothing to get the store in shape, it was the cashiers, and the keyholders . the store was filthy before we all started and she was there two years before we started, we cleaned that store on our hands and knees, and made it a model store, not her, but she gets a bonus and praise and we get nothing, no bonus , no thank you, no great job, no pay raise. plus she takes alot of days off, but I bet you she still fixes the logs to make it look like she worked. I always thought when a manager was paid salary, she had to make up the hours she dont come in. And if you tell the DM, he is just as crooked as she is, so as usual the workers lower in rank get screwed!!!
elcie

Montreal, MO

#2 Jan 10, 2009
You damn right about the keyholders getting screwed. The amgr and 3rd key get it big time. But what gets me really pissed off is the way the mgr acts. First off, there is 6 employees. The mgr gets 1 day off, the rest gets 2or3 days off(in a row) EXCEPT 3rd key. She get a day off here a day off there. When cutting hours, instead of cutting at the bottom, it starts with asistmgr and 3rd key or when hiring a new person, the hrs are also. Does this sound wrong or is it me? I'm not alone about this.Just heard today more hrs to be cut. Guess who will be first? Third!!!!!!!
tamcon

Crocker, MO

#3 Jan 12, 2009
I see nothing has changed since the two years I finally left DG. Managers get by with everything because they are hard to find. I know one that has a high theft in her store and she is at the head of the theft, but she is a good liar so gets by with anything and everything. The only people that are dumber than most managers and are the DM's
Agnes

United States

#4 Mar 7, 2009
I agree with all of you that the company sucks, I hate working for them. I am a store manager and I since I have been with the company I have never worked less than 65 hours per week. Many times working one whole month with out a single day off. My DM does not give a crap as long as the store is running at my expense. My payroll budget is so unrealistic, I would like to know what idiot sits and sets this budgets. I am on salary, so I get screwed out every perk, no over time, no holiday pay, nothing. Dollar General Managers are nothing more than legal slaves. The company motto should be "Do more with less". The only way I can come close to my set payroll budget is making up the difference, because when I am there it does not cost the company any additional money, my pay is set, regardless of the hours that I am forced to work. And all of the DM's, and RM's are nothing more than over paid bullies.
fred

Bristol, TN

#5 Mar 7, 2009
Agnes wrote:
I agree with all of you that the company sucks, I hate working for them. I am a store manager and I since I have been with the company I have never worked less than 65 hours per week. Many times working one whole month with out a single day off. My DM does not give a crap as long as the store is running at my expense. My payroll budget is so unrealistic, I would like to know what idiot sits and sets this budgets. I am on salary, so I get screwed out every perk, no over time, no holiday pay, nothing. Dollar General Managers are nothing more than legal slaves. The company motto should be "Do more with less". The only way I can come close to my set payroll budget is making up the difference, because when I am there it does not cost the company any additional money, my pay is set, regardless of the hours that I am forced to work. And all of the DM's, and RM's are nothing more than over paid bullies.
Wow, Not me!! I work 48 hours a week. I am Model store and don't have all of these problems. It is called time management. Sometimes it gets rough. Doesn't matter. You should be thankful these days you have a job
DGSLAVE

Ankeny, IA

#6 Aug 29, 2009
Clara wrote:
Ive been a cashier at Dg for almost 2 years and was offered a keyholder position 2 times which i turned down. I see what the keyholders go through and no thank you!! They have to come in no matter what, they have to come in when a cashier calls off, because the manager is too lazy to come in herself. Now Im sure some managers actually do work, mine does not she sits on her butt most of the day, never thanks any of us for keeping our store clean, and keeping things running smoothly. If one of us gets sick, she makes sure to tell all the other employees we are faking it, but god forbid she gets sick, we all have to listen to her moan for a week. and for al her laziness she gets rewarded with bonus after bonus, being told on conference calls what a great job she is doing keeping the store in model store shape. She did nothing to get the store in shape, it was the cashiers, and the keyholders . the store was filthy before we all started and she was there two years before we started, we cleaned that store on our hands and knees, and made it a model store, not her, but she gets a bonus and praise and we get nothing, no bonus , no thank you, no great job, no pay raise. plus she takes alot of days off, but I bet you she still fixes the logs to make it look like she worked. I always thought when a manager was paid salary, she had to make up the hours she dont come in. And if you tell the DM, he is just as crooked as she is, so as usual the workers lower in rank get screwed!!!
I TOTTALY AGREE WITH YA ON ALL OF IT- HAVE TO ADD WHEN MANAGEMENT IS CALLED UP FRONT THEY GET PISSED SO WE TRY TO FIND WAYS TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT SO WE DONT HAVE TO CALL THEM SO MUCH BUT THAN SOMETHIHG ELSE GOES WRONG AND WHEN WE DONT CALL THEM - GET YELLED AT AGAIN, DAMNED IF YOU DO AND DAMNED IF YOU DONT!!! i WORK MY TAIL OFF AT WORK AND MY MANAGER AND "OTHERS" SIT ON THERE BUTS IN THE BREAK ROOM CONVIENTLY LOCATED AT THE BACK OF THE STORE TO HIDE OUT FROM THE COUNTLESS FREAKS AND DRUGHEADS THAT FREQUENT OUR STORE. IM ON THE FRONT LINE AS A CASHIER SO IM ON CALL AND CHAINED TO THE DAMN REGISTER FOR NEARLY 2HOURS AT A TIME ON BUSY DAYS.. AGAIN GETTING YELLED AT FOR NOT GETTING FREIGHT OUT! BUT NOT A THANK YOU FOR SERVING 60-70 IN THAT TIME FRAME! I GUESS THE BONUSES USED TO BE SPLIT (NOT FAIRLY) BUT SPLIT NEVERTHELESS UNTILL ABOUT THE TIME I STARTED -- OHHHH OF COURSE! WE HAD CAMERAS INSTALLED NOT TO LONG AGO AND I CAME TO FIND OUT THAT THE 14 CAMERAS THAT ARE THERE , THERE ARE 9 THAT ARE ON THE CASHIERS---9! SO THAT SHOWS HOW MUCH THEY TRUST US! OUR DM IS A CROOK I CAN SEE IT IN HIS EYES HES NOT FOOLING ME AT ALL- THERE IS NO ROOM FOR ADVANCEMENT AT DG UNLESS SOMEONE LEAVES AND THIS DAY AND AGE WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WILL DO THAT- AND FORGET ABOUT TRYING TO IMPRESS YOUR BOSS BY DOING EXTRA BECAUSE YOUR CHAINED TO THE COUNTER AND DONT HAVE TIME TO EMPRESS BY DOING EXTRAS. ATTENTION MANAGERS WE CASHIERS ARE CAPABLE OF DOING MORE - AND CAN WE PLEASE GET THAT MAGIC BOTTON THAT REMOVES AN ITEM PLEASE?!!!ITS NOT MY FAULT THE CUSTOMER CHANGED HIS MIND- DO WE NEED TO START ASKING THEM IF THEY REALLY NEED THIS PRODUCT ON EVERY PRODUCT BEFORE WE RING IT???THATS NOT GOING TO WORK!
lol

United States

#7 Aug 30, 2009
You sound extremely bitter. If you're not wanting to be a cashier, or are unhappy. Transfer, find another store, speak to that manager, and see if they need you. If they do, that manager can request you be put there through the DM. Provided you are worthy. Everyone feels they're under paid. I do. If you want bonuses, why dont you apply for a management position? My old boss used to share her bonuses with a 50.00 prepaid credit card, it wasnt much, the new one don't. O well, its their money, not yours.
Joe

Humboldt, TN

#8 Mar 31, 2010
Yep. When I first started, I wanted the key holder position. But after we went through 6 third keys in a year, I decided I'd stay as a regular associate even after I was offered the 3rd key. Aside from our SM, I've been there the longest so I usually get a set schedule and at least 30 hours a week. But I still get stuck running the register at least 2-3 days a week.

I think DG needs to quit being so cheap. They should have at least 3 people in the store at all times. A cashier, a stocker/backup cashier, and a key holder. Like many stores, ours has a lot of overstock. Luckily our store is huge. Lots of extra gondolas and lots of stockroom space. However, if I didn't have to run the register, our overstock problem would go away.

Plus, more employees in a store would cut down on thefts.
Unh

Springhill, LA

#9 Apr 28, 2010
Clara wrote:
Who is this manager? she is probably sleeping with the DM. Everyone has a boss, go above the DM. Document dates and times and don't be afraid of him either.
Unh

Springhill, LA

#10 Apr 28, 2010
elcie wrote:
You damn right about the keyholders getting screwed. The amgr and 3rd key get it big time. But what gets me really pissed off is the way the mgr acts. First off, there is 6 employees. The mgr gets 1 day off, the rest gets 2or3 days off(in a row) EXCEPT 3rd key. She get a day off here a day off there. When cutting hours, instead of cutting at the bottom, it starts with asistmgr and 3rd key or when hiring a new person, the hrs are also. Does this sound wrong or is it me? I'm not alone about this.Just heard today more hrs to be cut. Guess who will be first? Third!!!!!!!
don't complain to fellow workers, they are probably trying to cover their butts. document dates, times , keep track of your hours and go all the way to the top. start with your manager, document date, time and put a small tape recorder in your pocket, one that is voice activated. if no results from her, go to the DM , do the same if nothing there go above him/her.
Unh

Springhill, LA

#11 Apr 28, 2010
DGSLAVE wrote:
<quoted text> I TOTTALY AGREE WITH YA ON ALL OF IT- HAVE TO ADD WHEN MANAGEMENT IS CALLED UP FRONT THEY GET PISSED SO WE TRY TO FIND WAYS TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT SO WE DONT HAVE TO CALL THEM SO MUCH BUT THAN SOMETHIHG ELSE GOES WRONG AND WHEN WE DONT CALL THEM - GET YELLED AT AGAIN, DAMNED IF YOU DO AND DAMNED IF YOU DONT!!! i WORK MY TAIL OFF AT WORK AND MY MANAGER AND "OTHERS" SIT ON THERE BUTS IN THE BREAK ROOM CONVIENTLY LOCATED AT THE BACK OF THE STORE TO HIDE OUT FROM THE COUNTLESS FREAKS AND DRUGHEADS THAT FREQUENT OUR STORE. IM ON THE FRONT LINE AS A CASHIER SO IM ON CALL AND CHAINED TO THE DAMN REGISTER FOR NEARLY 2HOURS AT A TIME ON BUSY DAYS.. AGAIN GETTING YELLED AT FOR NOT GETTING FREIGHT OUT! BUT NOT A THANK YOU FOR SERVING 60-70 IN THAT TIME FRAME! I GUESS THE BONUSES USED TO BE SPLIT (NOT FAIRLY) BUT SPLIT NEVERTHELESS UNTILL ABOUT THE TIME I STARTED -- OHHHH OF COURSE! WE HAD CAMERAS INSTALLED NOT TO LONG AGO AND I CAME TO FIND OUT THAT THE 14 CAMERAS THAT ARE THERE , THERE ARE 9 THAT ARE ON THE CASHIERS---9! SO THAT SHOWS HOW MUCH THEY TRUST US! OUR DM IS A CROOK I CAN SEE IT IN HIS EYES HES NOT FOOLING ME AT ALL- THERE IS NO ROOM FOR ADVANCEMENT AT DG UNLESS SOMEONE LEAVES AND THIS DAY AND AGE WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WILL DO THAT- AND FORGET ABOUT TRYING TO IMPRESS YOUR BOSS BY DOING EXTRA BECAUSE YOUR CHAINED TO THE COUNTER AND DONT HAVE TIME TO EMPRESS BY DOING EXTRAS. ATTENTION MANAGERS WE CASHIERS ARE CAPABLE OF DOING MORE - AND CAN WE PLEASE GET THAT MAGIC BOTTON THAT REMOVES AN ITEM PLEASE?!!!ITS NOT MY FAULT THE CUSTOMER CHANGED HIS MIND- DO WE NEED TO START ASKING THEM IF THEY REALLY NEED THIS PRODUCT ON EVERY PRODUCT BEFORE WE RING IT???THATS NOT GOING TO WORK!
YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY THAT THE CAMERAS ARE FOCUSED ON YOU, THE CASHIER. THESE DAYS WITH ALL THE CROOKS. IF SOMEONE WAS TO COME IN AND SHOOT YOU BECAUSE THEY WANT WHAT YOU HAVE IN THE REGISTER, THEY WILL KNOW WHO DID IT BECAUSE OF ALL THE CAMERAS. SO BE GREATFUL THAT THE CAMERAS ARE ON YOU. WHEN YOU TOOK THAT JOB AS A CASHIER THAT IS ONE OF THE REQUIREMENTS, STAY GLUED TO THE REGISTER. DO NOT MOVE AROUND IN THE STORE. OTHERWISE YOU SHOULD HAVE APPLIED FOR A STOCKPERSON JOB.
spankie

New Haven, CT

#12 Apr 28, 2010
Unh wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY THAT THE CAMERAS ARE FOCUSED ON YOU, THE CASHIER. THESE DAYS WITH ALL THE CROOKS. IF SOMEONE WAS TO COME IN AND SHOOT YOU BECAUSE THEY WANT WHAT YOU HAVE IN THE REGISTER, THEY WILL KNOW WHO DID IT BECAUSE OF ALL THE CAMERAS. SO BE GREATFUL THAT THE CAMERAS ARE ON YOU. WHEN YOU TOOK THAT JOB AS A CASHIER THAT IS ONE OF THE REQUIREMENTS, STAY GLUED TO THE REGISTER. DO NOT MOVE AROUND IN THE STORE. OTHERWISE YOU SHOULD HAVE APPLIED FOR A STOCKPERSON JOB.
I too work for DG and I agree you about having cameras at the register but only 1 or 2 for your safety. They need to put more down through the store besides the breakroom and stockroom. As for staying glued to register and I don't know where you get this...when you are at the register and you are not checking out people you are to keep busy staighten up the products, cleaning and on truck day putting up merchandise around the register area. Not glued to the register!!! At least this the way it's done at my store. If the DM came in and saw someone just standing at the register, he'll want to know what the problem is . He wants the workers to keep busy.
Unh

Springhill, LA

#13 Apr 29, 2010
spankie wrote:
<quoted text>I too work for DG and I agree you about having cameras at the register but only 1 or 2 for your safety. They need to put more down through the store besides the breakroom and stockroom. As for staying glued to register and I don't know where you get this...when you are at the register and you are not checking out people you are to keep busy staighten up the products, cleaning and on truck day putting up merchandise around the register area. Not glued to the register!!! At least this the way it's done at my store. If the DM came in and saw someone just standing at the register, he'll want to know what the problem is . He wants the workers to keep busy.
Stockers get paid more than cashiers. then yes they willwork you to death and not pay you what you're entited to. i would not worry about the rest of the store if they don't worry about it. Apparently they don't care what is stolen from there.sounds like they don't even have a security person there other than the cashier/stocker. if not, then i would find another job really quick. nothing is worth you getting killed over.

u r right they don't need 9 cameras on you. however, if they do and none in the other areas they don't trust the cashiers. hmmmmmmmmmmmm. not good. i wouldn't work for any store that don't trust me. first of all if something was to come up missing you would be the first one they would blame. i could not work under those conditions therefore i would take my valueable hardworking self to somewhere else to work. somewhere they would appreciate me more.
spankie

Mountain Home, AR

#14 Apr 29, 2010
Unh wrote:
<quoted text>
Stockers get paid more than cashiers. then yes they willwork you to death and not pay you what you're entited to. i would not worry about the rest of the store if they don't worry about it. Apparently they don't care what is stolen from there.sounds like they don't even have a security person there other than the cashier/stocker. if not, then i would find another job really quick. nothing is worth you getting killed over.
u r right they don't need 9 cameras on you. however, if they do and none in the other areas they don't trust the cashiers. hmmmmmmmmmmmm. not good. i wouldn't work for any store that don't trust me. first of all if something was to come up missing you would be the first one they would blame. i could not work under those conditions therefore i would take my valueable hardworking self to somewhere else to work. somewhere they would appreciate me more.
I don't know where your area is but stockers and cashiers make the same. It depends on how long a person has been there.I've been there almost 7 yrs. and the bullshit that goes on.I understand about the shoplifting thing. They aren't worried about customers stealing...only the employees. You can do all you can do but they still want more.As far as the wages goes...like I said I've been 7 yrs and only making 8.00 and I'm 3rd key. People starting out now at 7.50. It's a bunch of BS!!! The good thing is that I'm planning to leave DG soon. Can't wait!!!
Unh

Springhill, LA

#15 May 2, 2010
spankie wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know where your area is but stockers and cashiers make the same. It depends on how long a person has been there.I've been there almost 7 yrs. and the bullshit that goes on.I understand about the shoplifting thing. They aren't worried about customers stealing...only the employees. You can do all you can do but they still want more.As far as the wages goes...like I said I've been 7 yrs and only making 8.00 and I'm 3rd key. People starting out now at 7.50. It's a bunch of BS!!! The good thing is that I'm planning to leave DG soon. Can't wait!!!
it will be there lost. so good luck to you. take your hardworking self somewhere they will appreciate you and pay you accordingly. good luck to you.

the last time i was in a dollar general store i walked in calling out for help for over 7 minutes and finally a little 9 year old boy came out and asked if he could help me. i said, you're too young to be working here. he said his mom worked there. after another 7-10 minutes out walked his mom wiping here eyes as if just waking up. unbelieveable. i tried calling the corporate office and all i got was the run around. not worth my time .
brokeil

Addison, IL

#16 May 8, 2010
Dg is becoming so strange lately.It is because k.k.r owns them and does not do a damn thing to help .They do not care to know what goes on about the palces or fanchises that they own.They let who wver they own stay broke.I bet that all of their fanchises that they own are very borke right now.Poor owners.they are slakers,and are not fair.If they are right ,they don't know nothing about helping out what they own.They might not care how bad the economy still is right now.Too much being rich and not having th brains to provide enough help when owning places.
brokeil

Addison, IL

#17 May 8, 2010
Dg is certainly making a hard and honest killing on who ever they hire for employment opportunities.Dg will not save the economy ,not even part of the way,and it does not look like they will .If the corpoation keeps this up ,how are people going to cope with thier messes that they create.Corporate should have new management for their stores.They should get better brains to run corporate the right way,and not create more stupidity and issues for employees.Create things that make sense.Make jobs worth working the wage for.Meaningfull.
brokeil

Addison, IL

#18 May 8, 2010
Corporate might have a lawsuit on their hands again if they keep up their rotten bs.
WRONGED

Des Moines, IA

#19 May 13, 2010
i hope i can get some feed back on this. I was cashier one night and a customer became very irritate with me for what reason to this day i dont know. she basicly called me names and asked if there was a manager there? i told her yes, would you like to speak to her and she than told me i had no class and stormed out. Following that i reported it to the manager and the tape was reviewed. About an hour or so later the same woman came in and thru the receipt on the counter and said "is this what you pass off as a receipt? I call manager up front and was checking the garbage for her reciept that may have been thrown away..Now i really dont know what happend to her sales slip if it fell out or was left in another bag but the manager asked if she needed a return and the woman said no she just wanted her reciept! and demanded that we print her up an new one. The manager told her the only way we can print her another one is if she was to bring back all the products and we could than re-ring ....The woman than did a STARE DOWN with my mangager and asked if she knew the prices of gas. That point the manager again told the woman "i dont know what she did with the reciept(meaning me). This was told to the woman 3 times- at that point she stormed out screaming "this isnt over BITCH!" Now my beef is , am i wrong for being upset that i am allowed to take this from customers over and over again . this type of disrespect,and am i also wrong for being UPSET with the manager for not backing me 100% as i really do feel she felt intimadated by this woman and place the blame back at me. Many customers were in line wile i went thru the trash and witnessed my boss blaming me. If the cashiers are not allowed to confront customers and are instructed to let managment handle disputes - does that also mean that we are to stand back and get REPRIMANDED in front of someone who may possible be unstable.??? Am I wrong for wanting more support from my boss???
squirlydoo

Hellertown, PA

#20 Jul 30, 2010
Try having a store manager that doesn't want to run the register for lunches. we have 6 employees in my store (me being the second assistant manager) that when we come in is usually about 2 pm the cashier doesn't get lunch until 230 pm when they leave at 430! they don't get a break at all until the assistant managers come in! Is this legal? All my cashiers complain about getting lunch so late every day that i just tell them, hey its his way or none, and all my cashiers have worked in this store for more than 2 yrs each. Is it time to really give up on DG?!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dollar General Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dollar General faces new lawsuit (Aug '06) Mar 21 Barb 1,000
h r Mar 20 Honey 1
transfering. Mar 17 jbirdwell 1
express hiring incident (Dec '11) Mar 14 jane 17
Dollar General faces a new class action unpaid ... Mar 13 Roberta Moffitt 2
w2's from dg (Dec '07) Mar 10 Chorissa 30
dollar general background check. (Oct '15) Mar 5 Quieesha 5
More from around the web