AT&T to buy Cellular One, allowing iPhone use in Alaska

Jul 2, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Alaska Journal of Commerce

“We'll move as soon as possible”

AT&T Inc.'s plans to acquire a major Alaska cellular phone provider, Dobson Communications Corp., would allow Alaskans to take advantage of a popular new Apple Inc. via Alaska Journal of Commerce

Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Jul 31, 2008
ruthlmut in Arizona

Bullhead City, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2007

It's a shame. For years I stayed clear of AT&T. Now it looks like they finally caught up with me.
We'll all miss the customer service from Cellular One, because AT&T's is basically non existing! My dealings with AT&T have always been less than pleasant!
As far as improving quality of service is concerned, it remains to be seen! Most of us are spoiled by Cellular Ones coverage in rural areas like northwestern Arizona
poodle mom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2007

We joined Cingular 4 year ago, and we do live in an area that has Cellular One. We went with Cingular because we could have a Topeka number since we have children living in Topeka. All but one of our children also ended up with Cingular, one because he was fed up with Cell One. The one that still has Cell one has it because their teenage children have friends on Cell One. We do our business with "the new" At&t in Topeka, we have found them to be most friendly and helpful. I am happy that finally our family will all be able to have free mobile to mobile. As far as At&t goes, they are still our old Cingular people. We have 2 cell phones and a wireless Sierra (usb port) card for our laptop. I see this as a good thing for everyone.
impatiently waiting

Livonia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2007

Ok, We just moved here form Oklahoma, where we had service with CellularOne. We cannot get a local number here, so it is long distance for anyone to call me,what a waste of money this is. Worse....I guess the customer service in AZ is much better than OK where the headquarters are. Until we found out AT&T was taking over....were have been waiting for our contract to end. Cellular One is the worst, and I have been with quite a few providers.My phone Broke,well they fix,and will send you a loaner....you just have to hope that the buttons all work on it. they fixed mine 3 times before telling me I could have had a new replacment for only $50! So for about 4 monthes I was stuck with a broken loaner,while my broken phone was fixed....when it came back it was still broken,but in differant ways! I have a few other horror stories, but it is not quite Halloween yet. I can't wait for AT&T to rescue us........they have heard my prayers!!OH, and the coverage? Not that great.....I drop a call on average of about 4 times a day. FOUR! and that is an average! Does anyone know when this will take affect??
Chad

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2007

Bull, this is stupid, U bought cingular, leave the other companys alone, cell one is the only i know of that has unlimited calling whenever, u know, no more counting you're minutes, well, thanks to stupid at&t, by by, and the pathetic thing is I was dumb enough to sign a contract for two years with at&t and i get crap for the price i am paying, and now cell one, cingular and at&t will have the plans that at&t has now, freakin crap
Disgusted

Sitka, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

I have Cell One not by choice in Alaska and their sales and support suck. I hope that AT&T bring in professional support and sales teams.
Craig

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

funny that they are buying cell one back,if i recal they were bought out a few years ago and what a mess that was. cell one screwed over everyone, which is why i am with Acs now.but everyone in my family had At&t,and they were a good company,so i might just be switchin back
gadgetgirl

Albemarle, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2007

impatiently waiting wrote:
Ok, We just moved here form Oklahoma, where we had service with CellularOne. We cannot get a local number here, so it is long distance for anyone to call me,what a waste of money this is. Worse....I guess the customer service in AZ is much better than OK where the headquarters are. Until we found out AT&T was taking over....were have been waiting for our contract to end. Cellular One is the worst, and I have been with quite a few providers.My phone Broke,well they fix,and will send you a loaner....you just have to hope that the buttons all work on it. they fixed mine 3 times before telling me I could have had a new replacment for only $50! So for about 4 monthes I was stuck with a broken loaner,while my broken phone was fixed....when it came back it was still broken,but in differant ways! I have a few other horror stories, but it is not quite Halloween yet. I can't wait for AT&T to rescue us........they have heard my prayers!!OH, and the coverage? Not that great.....I drop a call on average of about 4 times a day. FOUR! and that is an average! Does anyone know when this will take affect??
It will take place January 1, 2008
gadgetgirl

Albemarle, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2007

The merger will take place January 1, 2008. The only problem is you will not see a immediate significant change to your service. At&t and Cellular One have been sharing towers for years now they also share towers with T-mobile. So all their service is essentially the same only At&t has more resources to put up more towers.
Dan

Wheeler, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2007

gadgetgirl wrote:
<snip>
I'd love to know where you got your date. I work for a Cell1 Agent and they haven't given -us- anything as far as a date yet. None of our superiors seem to have a date yet, either, all though they have called a training meeting for Dec. 6... We're expecting the actual changover in December.
Lon

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2007

Tell me it isn't true? When AT&T takes over from Cellular One (Dobson Communications) on December 9th they will only offer the iPhone - no other phones. Therefore iPhone owners will be on the AT&T Network. All others will not be. The effect of this will be that calls between iPhone owners and other family and friends with either Cellular One or GCI phones will no longer be "mobile-to-mobile calls, i.e., chargeable!! Nor can other family members who do not have iPhnes be on a "Partner" Plan sharing minutes!! What kind of deal is this. Did AT&T buy the Cellular One Network or not? It seems they just want to sell Alaskans iPhones, not provide service. Way to go AT&T - you're starting out with a black eye right off the bat!!
Cassie

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

Lon wrote:
Tell me it isn't true? When AT&T takes over from Cellular One (Dobson Communications) on December 9th they will only offer the iPhone - no other phones. Therefore iPhone owners will be on the AT&T Network. All others will not be. The effect of this will be that calls between iPhone owners and other family and friends with either Cellular One or GCI phones will no longer be "mobile-to-mobile calls, i.e., chargeable!! Nor can other family members who do not have iPhnes be on a "Partner" Plan sharing minutes!! What kind of deal is this. Did AT&T buy the Cellular One Network or not? It seems they just want to sell Alaskans iPhones, not provide service. Way to go AT&T - you're starting out with a black eye right off the bat!!
They aren't JUST going to offer the iPhone! It will be just like it is now, but (hopefully) with better support and service!!
Chris

South New Berlin, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

is the name gonna still be Cellular ONE or is it going to be changed to AT&T?
James

Wasilla, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2007

so have they taken over or what?
Nicole

Mount Pleasant, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2007

So I wasn't against the the whole Cellone being bought by ATT until--I looked at their rate plans & feature plans.

Did you know you have to pay another $1.99 to be able to receive voice mail if your phone is off or if you're in another call? BULL! Cellone did that for free!

The plan that I have with Cellone right now is 500 minutes, unlimited nights/weekends, mobile-to-mobile for $40. With the same price ATT has 450 minutes, 5000 nights & weekends, m-to-m...I feel like I'm being ripped off.

When my Cellone plan ends next year, I'm going to Verizon--if they don't sell out.
shiningstar

Brodhead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2008

does anyone know if the ppl with a cell one number and someone with att can now mobile to mobile? most ppl in Ky have cell one. but i have at&t and wanna call my friends? does this mean we have mobile to mobile or what?
KimmyBby

Corsicana, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

I have been told by alot of ppl that At&t will buy out Cellular One. I would really like to know so that i can ask my daddy if i can get an IPhone. I would really like to get one. But Cellular One dnt have IPhones. I wish they did. i really want one. To me Cellular One has a lot of Whack phones. i have a Motorola w510. Cellular One has better service than At&t does. well if anybody knows when the buyout is suppose to take place and the Cellular One is suppose to change to At&t. would like please let me know.
hellomoto

Petoskey, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

Chad wrote:
Bull, this is stupid, U bought cingular, leave the other companys alone, cell one is the only i know of that has unlimited calling whenever, u know, no more counting you're minutes, well, thanks to stupid at&t, by by, and the pathetic thing is I was dumb enough to sign a contract for two years with at&t and i get crap for the price i am paying, and now cell one, cingular and at&t will have the plans that at&t has now, freakin crap
you're gay. cell one is amazing. well it was until at&t took over.
Lil Ol Me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

Moving to anchorage,alaska in Nov. from TX - what is the best phone to get? Something unlimited so I can call to the states whenever, yet a phone that people in Alaska can call without hesitation.

I text often too ... and LIKE EVeryone I don't want to be ripped off!?! Business Calls are necessary

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Dobson Communications Discussions

Search the Dobson Communications Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
AT&T to pay $2.8 billion for wireless provider (Jun '07) Jun '07 Jay 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••