Private-prison consultant chosen to run ODRC | The Columbus Dispatch

Gov.-elect John Kasich, who has said he wants to explore privatizing state prison operations, has chosen a former longtime state prisons official who later worked at a company that operates private prisons to run the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction. Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
huh

Westerville, OH

#1 Jan 4, 2011
how does it make sense to have a private company run a prison that cost more than the state running it?
must be tbagger math
DrC Ohio

Columbus, OH

#2 Jan 4, 2011
Yes, let's privatize so we don't have as much oversight or that pesky "transparency" which Special K hates so much. Oh yeah-and let's give business to companies that are not based in Ohio. Way to go Johnny-boy loser!
Stan

Londonderry, OH

#3 Jan 4, 2011
huh wrote:
how does it make sense to have a private company run a prison that cost more than the state running it?
must be tbagger math
I think you need to learn to read...state law says that the state must contract to run 2 private prisons as long as they SAVE 5% as compared to the state running it.
Papa Bear

Columbus, OH

#4 Jan 4, 2011
huh wrote:
how does it make sense to have a private company run a prison that cost more than the state running it?
must be tbagger math
If you could read or had any math skill you would see the article said:"A 1996 state law requires the state to contract for two private prisons as long as they show an annual savings of at least 5 percent compared with state operation."
lostnfownd

New Orleans, LA

#5 Jan 4, 2011
a BS in what from OSU? he spent 30 years in Ohio, retired, so now he's double-dipping too? Come on Disptach--ask the tough questions instead of rolling over to JK.
JWT

Columbus, OH

#6 Jan 4, 2011
Guy appears to have a good resume for the job, but I worry about privatizing prisons, especially when judges are elected (and therefore subject to influence from special interests.) The only way I could support privatizing prisons is to also, at the same time, have significant sentencing reform (perhaps including decriminalizing small scale marijuana posession) to make sure the private companies don't overfill the prisons to make a quick buck off the taxpayer.
add

Hilliard, OH

#7 Jan 4, 2011
There are a few reasons that this can save money. One of the ways that this saves money is because of the cost to employee. Right now, state corrections officers starting out make around 15-16 dollars/hour. This is ok money for the crap they have to to deal with but could be a lot better. However, private companies pay CO's a lot less money--maybe 8-9 dollars/hour. This is hardly worth it when inmates fight, intimidate, and cause problems sometimes just for entertainment. If you get on a job website such as careerbuilder.com and look up how much Correction's Corporation of America pays its corrections/security employees, and then go to the state of Ohio's hiring website which can be found by starting at the Department of Rehab and Corrections website, you will see how much state CO's make. There are other ways to save money within the prison system. Maybe someone could decide to charge the inmates instead of only eating up our tax dollars.
clean sanchez

Columbus, OH

#8 Jan 4, 2011
Johnny's friends getting contracts.........and so it begins
Good Union Idea

Columbus, OH

#9 Jan 4, 2011
Stan wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you need to learn to read...state law says that the state must contract to run 2 private prisons as long as they SAVE 5% as compared to the state running it.
Stan, you're asking too much of them. My good union buddies have been teaching for years and reading skills are not necessary in today's world as they say.
Joe

Londonderry, OH

#10 Jan 4, 2011
Seems like their could be a conflict of interest here. I would imagine that when he left his job at Corrections Corporation of America - he probably left with a nice chunk of company stock which will benefit him greatly if he can get Ohio to privatize
Funny

Columbus, OH

#11 Jan 4, 2011
Another double-dipping, Friend of John, revolving door "business man"?
Progressive Ohioan

Columbus, OH

#12 Jan 4, 2011
Privatize prisons -- drilling in our State parks --obliterate state pensions in the name of balancing the budget -- cut education, library services...You are in for a fun ride Ohio..watch our beautiful state go STRAIGHT down the tubes with the Republican plutocracy...
Connie

Londonderry, OH

#13 Jan 4, 2011
add wrote:
Right now, state corrections officers starting out make around 15-16 dollars/hour. This is ok money for the crap they have to to deal with but could be a lot better. However, private companies pay CO's a lot less money--maybe 8-9 dollars/hour. This is hardly worth it when inmates fight, intimidate, and cause problems sometimes just for entertainment.....
My husband works in the prison and it's rough. I've had the phone calls at 2am saying he's going to the hospital because he'd been hit by an inmate. They have feces and urine thrown on them, he's been poked by tattoo needles (and had the priveledge of 1 year of HIV testing). I don't know too many people who would want to work for $8.00 an hour to put up with that abuse and there is nothing you can do about it. The officers have to "protect" the inmates or risk being held personally liable. Yes, the guards can be personally sued by the inmates or their families if they feel the guards were somehow responsible for their family member being hurt.
Concerned

Coshocton, OH

#14 Jan 4, 2011
Stan wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you need to learn to read...state law says that the state must contract to run 2 private prisons as long as they SAVE 5% as compared to the state running it.
Do you think that it will stay that way when they are all private, there will be nothing to compare the savings against then. The cost is will slowly creep up each year
Bodie

Chillicothe, OH

#15 Jan 4, 2011
It makes perfcet sense to have a private company run state prisons ... If your name is John "What Can Make Me Richer" Kasich. You see folks John Boy won't don anything that won't line his already millionaire pockets since he knows we'll boot him from office in 4 short years after we all catch on.
Good Union Idea

Columbus, OH

#17 Jan 4, 2011
Connie wrote:
<quoted text>
...Yes, the guards can be personally sued by the inmates or their families if they feel the guards were somehow responsible for their family member being hurt.
Welcome to Progressive America...isn't progress great?!

-The Union
Progressive Ohioan

Columbus, OH

#18 Jan 4, 2011
Privatization is essentially corporate takeover of private resources. They feed you with the lie that government can't work so that they can bring in their cronies and take from the public trough. This is what you elected Ohio. Get ready to lose it all.
DrC Ohio

Columbus, OH

#19 Jan 4, 2011
Recovery Winter wrote:
<quoted text>
Next 4 years are going to be a riot watching you
It's almost too easy to see the inconsistencies and the blatant pandering Special K is doing right now. I hope he ends up with a good administration when all is said and done, but given his proclivities I'm not holding my breath. Grab your organic popcorn and enjoy the show (until one of Kasich's moves negatively impacts your life).
Get Real

Columbus, OH

#20 Jan 4, 2011
Yes, I think Kasich in his zeal to privatize with his war on public employees will cause some reaction down the road. While he said he's only a one term governor, already his approval rating has dropped 7% before even taking office. He has never run a large organization let alone massive state government where compromise and consensus work better than throwing people under the bus. He seems out of control at times and, frankly, unhinged a bit and unstable. I fear we'll be picking up the pieces in Ohio for decades.

A while back I saw Warren Buffett mentioned that in tough times, we should beware of demagogues.

demˇaˇgogue&#8194; &#8194;[dem-uh-gog,-gawg]

1.(noun) a person, esp. an orator or political leader, who gains power and popularity by arousing the emotions, passions, and prejudices of the people.

2.(verb) to treat or manipulate (a political issue) in the manner of a demagogue; obscure or distort with emotionalism, prejudice, etc.
Connie wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband works in the prison and it's rough. I've had the phone calls at 2am saying he's going to the hospital because he'd been hit by an inmate. They have feces and urine thrown on them, he's been poked by tattoo needles (and had the priveledge of 1 year of HIV testing). I don't know too many people who would want to work for $8.00 an hour to put up with that abuse and there is nothing you can do about it. The officers have to "protect" the inmates or risk being held personally liable. Yes, the guards can be personally sued by the inmates or their families if they feel the guards were somehow responsible for their family member being hurt.
Capital City Caper

Columbus, OH

#21 Jan 4, 2011
Correction reform is indeed "critical"

I'd like to go back to what prisons were like in Georgia in the 1950s.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corrections Corporation of America Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Forestry officials warn of East Tennessee fire ... (Nov '13) May '14 Frank Abay 2
Fight sends Lake Erie Correctional inmate to th... (Dec '13) May '14 stoop dog 6
CCA proposal for Hartsville TN (Feb '07) May '14 News 4
Vt. Dept. of Corrections to assess prison lockdown (Jan '14) Jan '14 ohio wrangler 1
Murder victim's family seeks change in sentenci... (Oct '08) Jan '14 brother of ashleigh 51
Broward County properties busted for 'rent-a-co... (Dec '13) Dec '13 KnowNuttin 1
CCA, which operates Oklahoma private prisons, f... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Ohio Wrangler 1
•••

Corrections Corporation of America People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••