California employers embrace E-Verify

California employers embrace E-Verify

There are 56 comments on the www.mercurynews.com story from Oct 31, 2011, titled California employers embrace E-Verify. In it, www.mercurynews.com reports that:

Illegal immigrants will have a harder time securing a job -- some jobs, at least -- as more Bay Area employers screen new hires through an immigration records check.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.mercurynews.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Press 2 for Deportation.”

Since: Apr 09

Norfolk, NE

#1 Oct 31, 2011
What I don't understand is why this law (E-Verify) only covers new hires? We should be checking existing employees too!

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Since: Dec 09

Gangland, North America

#2 Oct 31, 2011
FedUpWithIllegals wrote:
What I don't understand is why this law (E-Verify) only covers new hires? We should be checking existing employees too!
You do know that E-Verify cannot occur over night in California. If that were to happen then it would actually screw up California considering how many illegals working the State.

So they're doing it gradually. Keep in mind, they're expanding E-Verify and that means that one less illegal taking a job from an American. As for those illegals who are not being checked, well stastically speaking they'll get caught up on some other issue that makes them go home.

Give it time. As much as we disagree on shit around here I can assure you that when it comes to E-Verify, I support it.

“ Divided We Fall ”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#3 Oct 31, 2011
Rico from East Los II wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know that E-Verify cannot occur over night in California. If that were to happen then it would actually screw up California considering how many illegals working the State.
So they're doing it gradually. Keep in mind, they're expanding E-Verify and that means that one less illegal taking a job from an American. As for those illegals who are not being checked, well stastically speaking they'll get caught up on some other issue that makes them go home.
Give it time. As much as we disagree on shit around here I can assure you that when it comes to E-Verify, I support it.
I didnt think I would ever say this but here it goes.....
I agree with you Rico.

Norfolk, NE

#5 Oct 31, 2011
Rico from East Los II wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said anything about it occuring overnight? My point was it should be used on all employees.

FYI, I've been trying to avoid you all day, including ignoring all your hostile posts to me. This is the first I have responded, only b/c it had something to do with the actual topic of illegal immigration. What a first. But I still prefer if you would stop following me around, making fun of my legitimate posts about II. If you recheck all your posts to me today, with the exception of this, they have all been troll posts. The proof is in the pudding and even you can't spin the proof.

Norfolk, NE

#6 Oct 31, 2011
OvrAndOvrAgn wrote:
<quoted text>
I didnt think I would ever say this but here it goes.....
I agree with you Rico.
He completely missed my point. I said nothing about it occuring overnight in CA or any other state. He is putting words in my mouth (again).

“ Divided We Fall ”

Location hidden

#7 Oct 31, 2011
FedUpWithIllegals wrote:
<quoted text>
He completely missed my point. I said nothing about it occuring overnight in CA or any other state. He is putting words in my mouth (again).
I know you didnt say anything about it occuring over night. I took what he said to mean that for right now it is just for new hires and it is just a matter of time before it will be used for all employees.
I was shocked that he supports Everify.
I think it is great that so many employers in California are stepping up and using E-verify when our (piece of [email protected]) governor just signed a bill not making E-verify mandatory.
Juan

Pearland, TX

#8 Oct 31, 2011
California would have to shutdown if all the undocumented workers were taken off all the job sites in the state.

I do not support e-verify.

“ Divided We Fall ”

Location hidden

#9 Oct 31, 2011
Juan wrote:
California would have to shutdown if all the undocumented workers were taken off all the job sites in the state.
You are wrong. The unemployed citizens of California would fill the jobs that belong to them to begin with. If you are here illegally it doesnt matter what you support or dont support.

Norfolk, NE

#10 Oct 31, 2011
Juan wrote:
Of course you don't support E-Verify! You're a self-admitted illegal alien WITH A JOB that an American can do (electrician).

And btw, E-Verify is an American Govt program. Since you are not an American, your opinion regarding this matter doesn't count. Not to us real Americans, anyway.
Juan

Pearland, TX

#11 Nov 1, 2011
My boss has tried to hire americans, they won't work for $14 an hour and he cannot afford to pay any more.

Norfolk, NE

#12 Nov 1, 2011
Juan wrote:
My boss has tried to hire americans, they won't work for $14 an hour and he cannot afford to pay any more.
Well, Juan, this may be news to you, but American electricians have always been paid more than $14/hr. Until you illegals came along.

Your boss offering them $14/hr is an insult to them. We homeowners have been charged $45/hr for a plumber or an electrician for years now. That is probably what your boss is charging his clients, netting $31 from your labor -- MORE THAN TWICE WHAT HE PAYS YOU AND HE DOESN'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING.

Your boss will inevitably have to look for another line of work, because there will come a point where he will have to fire all his illegal workers. It's just a matter of time.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#13 Nov 2, 2011
These bills need to move through congress now:

MANDATORY E-VERIFY
Rep. Smith's H.R.2164/H.R.2885
Rep. Shuler's H.R.2000
Rep. Carter's H.R.800
Rep. DeFazio's H.R.483
Rep. Miller's H.R.1196
Sen. Grassley's S.1196
Juan

Pearland, TX

#14 Nov 2, 2011
FedUpWithIllegals wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, Juan, this may be news to you, but American electricians have always been paid more than $14/hr. Until you illegals came along.
Your boss offering them $14/hr is an insult to them. We homeowners have been charged $45/hr for a plumber or an electrician for years now. That is probably what your boss is charging his clients, netting $31 from your labor -- MORE THAN TWICE WHAT HE PAYS YOU AND HE DOESN'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING.
Your boss will inevitably have to look for another line of work, because there will come a point where he will have to fire all his illegal workers. It's just a matter of time.
He doesn't charge $45 an hour. He has to keep wages low so we can have plenty of work. In the long run it's best for us, we will always have a job and plenty of work.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#15 Nov 2, 2011
FedUpWithIllegals wrote:
that s where the new and improved comes in the form of hr 2885! it is not an option for states to opt out of the deal. it checks all and even goes after the uncle omars .
Full of crap

Rantoul, IL

#16 Nov 2, 2011
Hell no contractors will hire and ILLEGAL Alien at a drop of a hat.
They don't give damn about America.
Welcome to slavery!

REWBA

“RelaxEverythingW illBeAllright”

Since: Mar 11

Derby, KS

#17 Nov 2, 2011
Juan wrote:
<quoted text>
He doesn't charge $45 an hour. He has to keep wages low so we can have plenty of work. In the long run it's best for us, we will always have a job and plenty of work.
He gets no federal jobs. They check the status of all contractors, sub-contractors and employees. They also demand copies of payroll records to ensure all workers on the site are being paid at least prevailing wage for the trade work performed.

What he does is, he cheats all other American citizens out of his fair share the load. He dishonors himself by hiring illegal workers undermining the the prevailing wage for the region he operates in.

Your boss would be arrested and charged with knowingly hiring illegal workers and be swiftly convicted and sentenced to ten years in a Federal Prison for each illegal hire. On top of that he would be forced to forfeit his business and professional tools to be auctioned in public and any proceeds would go to a local food bank...If only congress would pass meaningful immigration reform.

Norfolk, NE

#18 Nov 3, 2011
Juan wrote:
<quoted text>
And you believe him???
Hillary Clinton

Pearland, TX

#19 Nov 4, 2011
REWBA wrote:
<quoted text>
He gets no federal jobs. They check the status of all contractors, sub-contractors and employees. They also demand copies of payroll records to ensure all workers on the site are being paid at least prevailing wage for the trade work performed.
What he does is, he cheats all other American citizens out of his fair share the load. He dishonors himself by hiring illegal workers undermining the the prevailing wage for the region he operates in.
Your boss would be arrested and charged with knowingly hiring illegal workers and be swiftly convicted and sentenced to ten years in a Federal Prison for each illegal hire. On top of that he would be forced to forfeit his business and professional tools to be auctioned in public and any proceeds would go to a local food bank...If only congress would pass meaningful immigration reform.
There are too many US workers wanting to get high paying jobs for nothing. My boss has had a couple of american workers who usually don't last more than a week. They want more pay, he can't afford more pay and still be in business. With our wages low we have plenty of work As for government jobs and projects, we build new homes from the ground up, we don't build schools, banks, etc. Just new homes for a variety of homes builders.

REWBA

“RelaxEverythingW illBeAllright”

Since: Mar 11

Derby, KS

#20 Nov 4, 2011
Hillary Clinton wrote:
<quoted text>
There are too many US workers wanting to get high paying jobs for nothing. My boss has had a couple of american workers who usually don't last more than a week. They want more pay, he can't afford more pay and still be in business. With our wages low we have plenty of work As for government jobs and projects, we build new homes from the ground up, we don't build schools, banks, etc. Just new homes for a variety of homes builders.
That is a load of BS! Your boss competes for insurance jobs just like all the other contractors. The insurance adjuster includes prevailing wage in the estimate and the reason U.S. Citizens cannot compete is because of ignorant illegals who work for slave wages.

A law that would require corrupt employers like your bass to provide payroll data to the insurance company would end that quick. Until then, people need to run off contractors who show up with a truck full of Mexicans to do some insurance work. Just don't hire Mexicans until the legal Mexicans run the illegal Mexican out of the US. Legal Mexicans are the ones hurt the most by illegal Mexicans and crooked employers like your boss.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#21 Nov 4, 2011
seen the first sign in my town today at a grocery store. "we use e-verify" greatest sign ive yet to see. seems this is the start of American stores coming back.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevron Corporation Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Argentina and China lead shale development outs... Mar '16 LIZZY GINGERICH 2
News Province, Chevron to increase 'ethanol blended ... Mar '16 Donald Duck 1
News Protests in Argentina's shale oil region end, o... Feb '16 Frack 1
News Argentine court orders government to disclose C... Feb '16 secrets kept glob... 1
News YPF must release text of Chevron deal Feb '16 secrets kept glob... 1
News UPDATE 1-Argentina's Supreme Court orders YPF t... Feb '16 FYI 1
News Shell Cuts 6,500 Jobs and Slashes Spending on P... (Jul '15) Feb '16 Acete 2
More from around the web