CVS applies to open first 10 in-store...

CVS applies to open first 10 in-store clinics

There are 27 comments on the Boston Globe story from Mar 5, 2008, titled CVS applies to open first 10 in-store clinics. In it, Boston Globe reports that:

“We're going to try to move as quickly as we can but as thoroughly as we can as well, since it's the first time we're going to be acting on these regulations.”

CVS Corp. today asked state health authorities to allow it to open medical clinics inside 10 drug stores in Eastern Massachusetts, the first of what are expected to eventually be more than 100 MinuteClinics in ... via Boston Globe

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Boston Globe.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ridiculous

AOL

#1 Mar 17, 2008
Just what Stoughton needs---a clinic at CVS. Just bring more lowlifes and illegals into town!
Luke

United States

#2 Mar 19, 2008
Minute Clinics will be a huge liability. OH!!! Here's a great idea. Let's bring people in and treat them like oil changes. That should go over really well. DON'T go to these places with yourself or loved ones!!!!!!!!
CVS

AOL

#3 Mar 20, 2008
Pull down your pants and cough....

would you like a Herald with that?

Minute Clinic equals Poor Health for Everyone

JUST SAY NO SELECTMEN!
8digits

Wilmington, MA

#4 Mar 20, 2008
Ridiculous wrote:
Just what Stoughton needs---a clinic at CVS. Just bring more lowlifes and illegals into town!
Clinic , What are we a suburb of L.A.!
stoughton resident

AOL

#5 Mar 20, 2008
WHO SHOULD WE THANK FOR THIS ONE, THE SELECTMEN? AND WHO IS GETTING SOME MONEY IN THEIR POCKET FOR THIS, LEVINE, MR JOBLESS!
BOS

AOL

#6 Mar 20, 2008
Don't think they are involved, since it is regulated by the State, not the town. But, we don't need it, that's for sure!
Huh

Roseland, NJ

#7 Mar 20, 2008
stoughton resident wrote:
WHO SHOULD WE THANK FOR THIS ONE, THE SELECTMEN? AND WHO IS GETTING SOME MONEY IN THEIR POCKET FOR THIS, LEVINE, MR JOBLESS!
Rob,

You're an idiot! Neither the town (nor the BOS) see any money from this. This is for lowlifes like you who sponge of hard working people. You can now go to a clinic since you don't make enough for insurance. Go cash your unemployment check you piece you no good drain on society.

Keep up your crappy posts.
Mark

Lowell, MA

#8 Mar 22, 2008
Towns and the state will see money from this in the licensing departments - you can't just open up a medical office without paying Uncle Sam. As for these establishments only attracting people who can't afford good health coverage, the price isn't cheap - just as much as a regular office visit - and - most major insurance carriers are accepted at these clinics - you'll need the discounted copay from your insurance company who would prefer you go to one of these clinics anyways - I'm sure you all have health insurance, don't you? Obviously there are many state and federal guidelines that the nurse practitioners will have to follow. Poor Health Care? These are the same nurse practitioners who already work at YOUR doctors office and YOUR hospitals - or atleast people who will get the same education, if not more. Furthermore, these clinics will only be able to help with minor medical trouble - ear infections, the flu, strep throat, as well as the ability to provide vaccinations - with little to no wait as its all walk in service - taking the burden off from doctors office and emergency rooms all over the state - which is where you'll still need to go if you walk into one of these clinics with a major medical condition - but do you honestly think waiting for hours in an emergency room for an ear infection is necessary? I'm highly educated, make good money, am a legal resident of this country and I'll take the 10 minute wait at a clinic inside a drug store that I'm going to go visit anyways to get my prescription afterwards - you can go wait at your doctors office after you schedule your appointment and hope you'll be out within the hour - or go sit in the ER and wait for ever because you have a minor problem and more serious conditions keep cutting in ahead of you. I'll already be on my medication and home in bed.
Hey Mark

AOL

#9 Mar 22, 2008
You must work for CVS. We don't need their minute clinic. Not for a minute!
CVS

AOL

#10 Mar 22, 2008
Forgetaboutit
Mark

Lowell, MA

#11 Mar 23, 2008
Actually, I don't. I work for a brokerage firm in Boston. I just know convenience when I see it.
Hey Mark

AOL

#12 Mar 23, 2008
Then, you must be pumping up CVS stock. It's a dumb idea and we don't want it in Stoughton. CVS sucks. The can't fill a prescription right and now they want to treat patients? It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.
health care sucks

Bronx, NY

#13 Mar 24, 2008
Spend any time in an local emergency room this winter? Pure health on earth. My mother-in-law sat in a wheelchair in an ER with a broken hip for 9 hours waiting for a bed. They told her she was lucky she had the wheelchair as they had run out of them. There were literally hundreds and hundreds of adults and kids with flu's and pneumonia's, as well as more serious problems who waited an entire day to be seen. Many - if not most - had primary care physicians but were sent to ER by their doctors because they didn't have time to see them either.

The CVS clinics are just a symptom of a much bigger problem with the health care industry in this country.
Mark

Lowell, MA

#14 Mar 24, 2008
Actually - I have no investment in CVS nor do any of my clients - in fact, i get my prescriptions at Rite Aid. CVS is just the beginning of these clinics. Its the new wave of healthcare that has already caught on in 25 other states - its actually kind of surprising Massachusetts isn't the last to adopt such a policy as politics here is all about who you pay or who you sleep with. Now that CVS has paved the way you will see these type of clinics opening everywhere - not just in retail establishments - but hospitals, community centers, even office buildings. The possibilties are endless - you're worried about a CVS is Stoughton getting one - just wait - a town with over 27,000 residents - your going to have these things showing up all the other drugs stores, the supermarket, and not just in Stoughton - so the argument that it will attract 'lowlifes and illegals' is a pretty ignorant statement. There is an apparent market in Stoughton that CVS sees and I'm sure the 4.6% of your town that lives below the poverty line isn't the intended market.

And lets stop calling them 'CVS clinics'- CVS is only the tip of the iceberg. CVS intends to have 30 in Massachusetts by the end of the year. Wal-Mart is currently working on opening over 400 clinics nationwide (and you can be sure Massachusetts is in its sights now). Walgreens & Rite Aid also operate clinics in other states. Shaw's parent company Albertsons operates clinics in their stores in other states and you can be sure Stop & Shop and Hannaford won't be far behind the rest.

You seem to be under some dillusion that a health care clinic in your town is going to demoralize an entire community. That if the clinic was at a CVS that they would staff it with the same person working the cash register. According to the Patriot Ledger on January 10, "The clinics would be staffed with nurse practitioners registered nurses with advanced training who are authorized to diagnose illnesses and prescribe treatment. Many nurse practitioners already work alongside doctors in primary-care practices and elsewhere." I bet your doctor employs one or two of these types of nurses. You feel comfortable with them at your doctors office?

And finally - so a couple of CVS pharmacists have made some human mistakes - its happened at every pharmacy in America - the only difference is depending on who it happens to they might feel the need to call up FOX 25 and make a huge story about how they received the wrong pills - had they read the paperwork that comes with the medication which describes exactly how the pills look - they would have never taken the wrong pill in the first place - its a two way road - and as long as humans continue to put pills into bottles - there is going to be mistakes - simple fact of life - humans make mistakes.
Mark is off the mark

AOL

#15 Mar 26, 2008
The way you brush the CVS screwups under the rug is amazing. They only made a few errors giving people the wrong pills, and seriously damaging a few people. Perhaps when one of their nurse practioners ****s people up, you will excuse that too. And, maybe YOU should get your medical care at Walmart or KayBee Toys. I'll stick with an M.D. and upper echelon care. The illegals and homeless can swamp the retailers for their discount medical care.
Remember Algonquin

Framingham, MA

#17 Apr 5, 2008
The way Algonquin (a critical issue) was handled, is typical of the way they (especialy Levine) have done things, and MORE than enough reason to vote him out - no leadership, no forethought, ignoring the problem for a year, still no public hearing for a year, waiting till the 11th hour, closed meetings, executive sessions for "potential" litigation, exclusion, and treating the residents only as an afterthought, and with absolute disrespect.
I don't know what your particular agenda is, but the residents deserve MUCH better. Vote Anzivino
Jim

Salem, MA

#18 May 5, 2009
I live in Marblehead, MA and I wish we had this in my town. Fast & convenient. Mark, you sound like someone who owns a doctors office in stoughton. I went to get a prescription at Lahey clinic, they made me wait for 3 hours and then billed me $389 for a prescription... Ouch! that hurt.
lord vader

Hanson, MA

#19 May 12, 2009
This might be a great thing if we think about the positive side. have you noticed most items in CVS are overpriced. Now after the price is stuck up our rear ends, we can then go to the clinic and have the damaged checked.
taxi driver

Waterbury, CT

#21 May 18, 2009
This is such an unethical partnership I can't believe you "educated" people are so easily duped. Sure come into our clinic, regardless of whats your complaint we'll sell you some type of drug. Be it an OTC or a prescription, your not leaving empty handed. This is legalized drug pushing and validated by morons as a convienence. This is about Big Pharma selling it's poisons to as many people as possible. Government sanctioned drug dealing pure and simple.
Tards

AOL

#22 May 23, 2009
Anyone who sees a fake doctor at CVS for their health concerns, deserves what they get. You might as well consult one of the baggers at Shaw's next time you have a headache.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

CVS Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CVS vs. Home Depot (Jan '15) 19 hr employee 2
MCE Walk to item (Feb '15) Aug 20 Big Dane 2
cvs not healthy Aug 12 on target 1
employee uniforms Jun '15 Mary Cebzanov 1
Pharmacist shifts May '15 Wagdog 1
the dirt on cvs (Mar '13) May '15 einstein devine 8
cvs frontend suck. walgreens is way better May '15 einstein devine 2
More from around the web