Cummins plans to testify against proposed ban

No private employers testified against a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage when it was before the Senate, but that will change when discussion begins today in the House. Full Story
Kevin

Elizabeth, NJ

#1 Mar 21, 2007
Morality trumps profitability.
I hope the Legislature does the right thing.
Sam Hires

Columbus, IN

#2 Mar 21, 2007
This is very commendable of Cummins to take this step. I hope politicians will realize the economic impact this amendment will have in long term. Indiana needs talented, innovative people and this amendment will definitely not attract the top talent. Wake up politicians and don't stop Indiana's growth.
Bill McGuire

Greenfield, IN

#3 Mar 21, 2007
Shame on Cummins and CEO Tim Solso. Did Mr. Solso really mean to imply that people in a same sex relationship make the best employees. Does he really believe that the Marriage Amendment is bad for his business and bad for the state of Indiana. I propose the opposite is closer to the truth. I believe statistics show that the majority of the people in Indiana and the USA are opposed to same sex marriage (which in my estimation is an oxymoron). I hope Mr. Solso considers that many people would not buy his product if they knew his stance on same sex marriage. I have no need for his product, but you can bet your last share of Cummin's stock I would never buy his product if I did need it, nor will I ever invest in his company. In the same edition of the Star, there is an editorial by a person suggesting that he would relocate from Indiana should same sex marriages become legal. Is that good for Indiana? I think not.

So Mr. Solso, are you a real proponent of same sex marriages because you are personaly inclined, think it will boost the profits of Cummins, increase the "highly qualified" population of Indiana, or what?

Obviously, many people sacrfice their morality for gain, greed, and profit. This is a new twist of sacrificing morality. My, my, will it ever end.
Dr Logic

Elkhart, IN

#4 Mar 21, 2007
Kevin wrote:
Morality trumps profitability.
I hope the Legislature does the right thing.
The state should be thinking profitability and economy as well - and legislature should vote NO.
Emily

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Mar 21, 2007
Thank you Tim Solso for making me proud to live in Columbus!
sick and tired

Columbus, IN

#7 Mar 21, 2007
Cummins and Tim Solso need to keep their noses out of government... what a pompous idiot Tim is.

I used to work for Cummins when they were shoving all the domestic partner crap down our throats. It's trash like this that makes health care so expensive.
sick and tired

Columbus, IN

#8 Mar 21, 2007
Sam Hires wrote:
This is very commendable of Cummins to take this step. I hope politicians will realize the economic impact this amendment will have in long term. Indiana needs talented, innovative people and this amendment will definitely not attract the top talent. Wake up politicians and don't stop Indiana's growth.
Gay and Lesbien people make up a very small percentage of Indiana's population, now break that into how many gay and lesbians are engineers and the number drops exponentially. so this policy has .0002% effect on people wanting a job at Cummins... what a load of liberal media crapola.
Sam Hires

Columbus, IN

#9 Mar 21, 2007
sick and tired wrote:
<quoted text>
Gay and Lesbien people make up a very small percentage of Indiana's population, now break that into how many gay and lesbians are engineers and the number drops exponentially. so this policy has .0002% effect on people wanting a job at Cummins... what a load of liberal media crapola.
Dear Sick and Tired, If you read clearly what I said I did not mention that Indiana will be losing gay/lesbian talent but I said Indiana will be losing top talent (which includes both straight as well as gay/lesbian people) If you study the states/cities that are economically strong and growing (most of the blue states) you will realize that the policies and attitudes of people there are more progressive and inclusive for everyone. That's what future employees are going to look for in a town. Each person has a right to believe in what his/her religion says but government should not base their laws based on religion, right? Some of the readers who have strong fundamentalist views might disagree with me but I feel that having progressive and outspoken leaders like Tim is a good thing for the state of Indiana and thus America. I think Cummins' stock price and it's growth can tell you something about Tim's vision and it's impact on the business and thus economy of Indiana. And in the end I think it's the Right thing to do.
Mike Kole

Evansville, IN

#10 Mar 21, 2007
sick and tired wrote:
Cummins and Tim Solso need to keep their noses out of government... what a pompous idiot Tim is.
Wow- that's what our citizenry has devolved to. This country is self-governed, friend. Tim Solso has every right in the world to express his opinion to elected officials, and make an effort to help shape policy.

But for my two cents, government needs to keep out of people's personal lives. If I wanted a government that told people how to live their lives based on religious morality, I could pick up and go to Iran any time. I like the USA with its' traditions of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, thank you very much!
Sondra Bolte

Columbus, IN

#11 Mar 21, 2007
I am proud of Cummins and the other fair minded businesses that spoke to the House Committee this morning. About one third of Indiana's college graduates leave the state and only 2% come back. Brain Drain. Today's bright young people want to work in places where they and their peers are encouraged to be themselves and bring all their talent and creativity to work. Indiana has created and maintained it's history of second class citizenship. I hope the House Committee will heed the concerns for the future of our state and reject this discriminatory amendment.
Thank you Cummins.
Heretic On A Stick

United States

#13 Mar 21, 2007
Bill McGuire wrote:
Shame on Cummins and CEO Tim Solso. Did Mr. Solso really mean to imply that people in a same sex relationship make the best employees. Does he really believe that the Marriage Amendment is bad for his business and bad for the state of Indiana.
I've worked with several heterosexuals who have used companies' "domestic partner" coverage to cover their fiancees prior to marriage. The proposed amendment will affect EVERYONE -- not just homosexuals -- who for whatever reason are not married but want the same legal benefits as far as beneficiaries, health coverage etc.

Now you're screwing with other peoples' lives because of your beliefs. I think your ideas are moronic, but you're free to have them. Live and let live.
Racoon

River Falls, WI

#14 Mar 21, 2007
Emily wrote:
Thank you Tim Solso for making me proud to live in Columbus!
(If only Tim did, too.)

I gotta believe there's more important work for the legislature to attend to than embark on an 'ethic-cleansing' of people who simply wish to live a life without constant worry that people with badges are peeking into their underwear.
Racoon

River Falls, WI

#15 Mar 21, 2007
Kevin wrote:
Morality trumps profitability. I hope the Legislature does the right thing.
So I guess you're coming out for profitability, right? Otherwise, you'd be *praying* the Legislature does the right thing, no?
Racoon

River Falls, WI

#16 Mar 21, 2007
Bill McGuire wrote:
In the same edition of the Star, there is an editorial by a person suggesting that he would relocate from Indiana should same sex marriages become legal.
Is he going to join up with the Taliban and start slinging stones at sinners lined up in the soccer stadium?

He can't join Tim McVeigh's little group of rebels -- they're all behind bars or dead; same with David Koresh. Kind of limits his choices, doesn't it?-- unless he wants to hole up in the hollers of North Carolina, that is.
Mike Wilson Columbus IN

Chicago, IL

#17 Mar 21, 2007
sick and tired wrote:
<quoted text>
As if Cummins only employs engineers! Get your head out of the sand. Cummins is an international corporation. They employ thousands of employees, from janitors to CEO's, assembly line workers, cafeteria workers, office workers, interpreters and yes, engineers. Employees have spouses, which also work - a lot of the time in government or collegiate positions, which would be greatly affected by part B of this amendment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cummins Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
isx15 485 14 hr hotrod 2
isx, egr valve (Jul '10) 17 hr cbpatterson1 60
exhaust leak of diesel fuel. Oct '14 michael 2
2012 Cascadea ISX Cummins / Injector fuel flow ... Sep '14 Pigsooie 1
Cummins 8.3 engine vibration @ 1900rpm & up (Dec '12) Aug '14 Fartman 3
Engine fan runs constantly (Apr '14) Aug '14 Fartman 2
What Size Sockit For Pinion Nut 98 3500 Duelly (May '14) May '14 Jimmy Don Weatheread 1
More from around the web