GPS nabs Bridgeport fire inspectors

GPS nabs Bridgeport fire inspectors

There are 79 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Mar 9, 2008, titled GPS nabs Bridgeport fire inspectors. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

Four city fire inspectors have been fired after a lengthy investigation showed they spent workdays visiting friends, taking care of rental properties and spending time at home and doughnut shops.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
samuelruby2

Matawan, NJ

#1 Mar 9, 2008
WOW! Let the truth be told in court. Evidence will show that the city did not allow these fire inspectors to seek due process during their investigative hearings. The city of Bridgeport should be ashamed of themselves for making headlines with grossly exaggerated information.
Joel Gonzalez

Randolph, NJ

#2 Mar 9, 2008
Vitka has 70 properties, and he has to work? Is the City suing him for all that he stole (time is money)and the cost of investigating and prosecuting him? Does he owe any taxes in Bridgeport? Take his houses and auction them off.
all of em

Middlefield, CT

#3 Mar 9, 2008
This kind of crap is standard procedure. Put gps in ALL city vehicles and let a civilian review board monitor them!!!
Lisa Gi

Piscataway, NJ

#4 Mar 9, 2008
Okay so lets say you live in one of the buildings that passed inspection but burned down because of an existing problem that was over looked because you building wasn't really inspected..........
Exit 27A

Portland, OR

#7 Mar 10, 2008
A comment for the Post: what I would find helpful is a list of public employees who are not stealing from the city. I'd like to print it out and laminate it on a small card to keep in my wallet.
moose

Litchfield, CT

#8 Mar 10, 2008
guilty, guilty, guilty, but 70 properties.....??
Trumbull Resident

AOL

#9 Mar 10, 2008
It's nice to hear that finally someone is paying attention.

However, it seems that Mayor Finch is trying to take credit for this. "It's not going to make me a popular guy in City Hall." I think Mr. Finch has forgotten that this was not his idea and might never have been if the Fird Chief didn't have the guts to do what he did and make it stick.

Mayor Fabrizi used to do the same thing with the Police Chief - take credit for things that Bryan Norwood implemented that the Mayor would have never bothered with. Political grandstanding at its best!
Dodgingtown

Worcester, MA

#10 Mar 10, 2008
John Burgeson where are you getting your information from? I don't think you read the right reports to be writing such a slanderous overley exaggerated article. Also you forgot to mention that chief Rooney took his city vehicle to a New York airport to pick up some friends and got in an accident while he was there and then tried to cover it up!!! Who is tracking him? Collins or Cosgrove?
Ray S

Ronkonkoma, NY

#11 Mar 10, 2008
It seems like the City of Bridgeport is FINALLY doing something right and getting serious about where the money is going!

Good for you Chief Rooney!!!!
lynn

New Hyde Park, NY

#12 Mar 10, 2008
NO worries finch your not a popular guy anywhere anyway.
lynn

New Hyde Park, NY

#13 Mar 10, 2008
samuelruby2 wrote:
WOW! Let the truth be told in court. Evidence will show that the city did not allow these fire inspectors to seek due process during their investigative hearings. The city of Bridgeport should be ashamed of themselves for making headlines with grossly exaggerated information.
Friends of yours?
sick and tired

AOL

#14 Mar 10, 2008
Mr. Justice is awful quiet......
BRock

United States

#15 Mar 10, 2008
samuelruby2 wrote:
You can't exaggerate facts
AVA

Wellford, SC

#16 Mar 10, 2008
Exit 27A wrote:
A comment for the Post: what I would find helpful is a list of public employees who are not stealing from the city. I'd like to print it out and laminate it on a small card to keep in my wallet.
You have a great sense of humor..sadly they could fit on a small business card.
hang em

East Hampton, CT

#17 Mar 10, 2008
Go to visionappraisal.com to see where Vitka's properties are located and how many he has. Not every town is listed and some towns that are listed cannot be accessed by the owner's name, but you can get an idea. You can see what he owns in Bridgeport and Stratford, about 20 homes in those 2 towns. Now he can spend all his time at his rental properties, or driving around in his big van picking up junk. These inspectors should be made to pay back wages they collected for work that was never done. They are criminals.
Katrina

Milford, CT

#18 Mar 10, 2008
So our dollars are paying for them to goof off.... Wow, the balls of these guys.
Dodgingtown

Trumbull, CT

#19 Mar 10, 2008
Mr. Rooney You always wanted to be a poster boy, only a billboard will fit your ego can't wait to see the headlines in due time!!!!!
amazed

Naugatuck, CT

#20 Mar 10, 2008
absolutely disgusting. this goes way beyond 'goofing off.' people have probably died because of their greed. sue them for criminal neglect, endangering the lives of the public, and unearned wages.
Mayo

Saint Petersburg, FL

#21 Mar 10, 2008
It would be great if they could clean up all of Bridgeport like this and bring it back to a thriving city free of graft, theft and dishonesty.
Elana

Lisle, IL

#22 Mar 10, 2008
YAHOO for Bridgeport. All communities should follow suit. Stop waisting taxpayers hard earned money on employees who don't want to do their jobs. When will people learn, you have do your job - people who take advantage of the system too long eventually get caught - Gamin, Rowland, Newton!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Connecticut Water Service Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Connecticut water co. needs union support (Sep '11) Sep '11 Union help 1
News Connecticut student accused of making camera in... (Apr '08) Jun '11 Actually 10
News Connecticut Water Co. Cuts Rates But Adds Surch... (May '09) May '09 Jonathan Rodriguez - 1
News Ellington Water Company Sold; Escape Foiled (Aug '08) Aug '08 Any Idiot Could See 1
News Flagging Oval Office hope among African-Americans (May '08) May '08 Intelligent Guessing 49
News Mark Dixon, Science Center Officials Ring NASDA... (May '08) May '08 new yorker 1
News Dodd to endorse Obama (Feb '08) May '08 Bahumbug 24
More from around the web