CenturyTel to buy Qwest in $10.6 bill...

CenturyTel to buy Qwest in $10.6 billion stock swap

There are 15 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 22, 2010, titled CenturyTel to buy Qwest in $10.6 billion stock swap. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

CenturyTel Inc. said today that it will buy Qwest Communications International Inc.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Price is going up

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Apr 22, 2010
Can't wait to see the prices.
Jim

Princeton, MN

#2 Apr 22, 2010
Let's merge them all into one and call it AT&T II. Think how much money can be saved with only one CEO to pay!
DPE

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Apr 22, 2010
I am not so sure the "price is going up" for Joe Consumer. Even if all of the regional phone companies merged we still have too many choices w/ cellular phones & other options for internet access.

Now, I can see the price going up for business. However, I see a future where businesses have more options than just phone companies to provide the services that they need!
Watch ThisVideo

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Apr 22, 2010
Goodbye Qwest jobs in Denver/Seattle!
OH GREAT

Elk River, MN

#5 Apr 22, 2010
Another giant forming so they can up the prices on us again!
Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Apr 22, 2010
Thanks to the market competition from cable and wireless will keep landline prices in check. It's time for the government to deregulate landlines...useless taxes and fees average $15 a month on landlines.
Bo Knows

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Apr 22, 2010
Joe wrote:
Thanks to the market competition from cable and wireless will keep landline prices in check. It's time for the government to deregulate landlines...useless taxes and fees average $15 a month on landlines.
The Goverment give up a source of revenue? Yeah, that'll happen.
Bo Knows

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Apr 22, 2010
DPE wrote:
I am not so sure the "price is going up" for Joe Consumer. Even if all of the regional phone companies merged we still have too many choices w/ cellular phones & other options for internet access.
Now, I can see the price going up for business. However, I see a future where businesses have more options than just phone companies to provide the services that they need!
The cable companies are going after the business customers too.
fu-feiter

Plano, TX

#10 Apr 22, 2010
OH GREAT wrote:
Another giant forming so they can up the prices on us again!
Actually, all this does is merge a large land line company with another, and land lines are dying a slow death. This just slows the death spiral each of these companies are in.
Gndydncr

Rochester, MN

#11 Apr 22, 2010
fu-feiter wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, all this does is merge a large land line company with another, and land lines are dying a slow death. This just slows the death spiral each of these companies are in.
No. No. Say it isn't so. They're too big to fail. We must bail them out. Start up the presses. We have to print more money.
bpv

Seal Beach, CA

#12 Apr 22, 2010
Share holder will not benefit,if you own 500 shares you get $160.00 a year. If they merge you will own only 83 shares.You will receive about $84.00
dollars a year in dividens
Ghost Writer

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Apr 22, 2010
You still can't beat a landline for reliability and durability in communications. When it comes to cost for use, computer/data usage excepted, voice communications with landlines are hard to beat in cases of urgency, disaster, and cosmic aberrations or EMP.

Landlines can be updated with new technology to fiber optics and hard cable networks. The problem with today's landline style corporations their marketing and R&D efforts have been abysmal.

The old AT&T conglomerate always tried, with their Bell Labs Divisions, to be on the cutting edge of communication science and technology. Something this new merger won't be progressing toward to grow their industry.

It's all a matter of greenbacks while the business is still existing. Guess old business methods will be the demise of making Alexander Graham Bell's telephone communications philosophy, technology, and dreams go stagnant the way of the dinosaurs.
Pete

Portland, OR

#14 Apr 24, 2010
When cell phone users finally accept the FACT they are frying their brains with radiation from cell phones land-line users will abound. For many cell users it is too late - their brains are already fried crisp.
Tzu Lee

Portland, OR

#15 Apr 24, 2010
We shall see what comes of the sale of Qwest. I try to be positive - but is difficult in this day and age - and in this country. I feel Qwest likely be parted out, retirement funds and Health Benefits funds will be pillaged by new owners (as is often the case in America), leaving faithful hard-working former Qwest employees and retirees high, dry, and broke. But that is the Republican right-wing way of doing business in this country.
wilberry

Monroe, LA

#16 Apr 27, 2010
1000. of job cuts in Denver Washington , Oregon , adding to the current recession , mortages in default , and the rich get richer ..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

CenturyTel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News AT&T, CenturyLink, and Verizon copper-to-fiber ... (Jul '15) Jul '15 essence scott 1
Centurytel webmail (Feb '08) Apr '15 fishski 16
News More on the cover story: CenturyLink's Prism TV... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Steve Sybesma 1
News U.S. Internet has plans for a broader Twin Citi... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Anonymous 3
News Scanning Telecommunication Services Equities --... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Futurama iPhone n... 1
News Undercover cops will be looking for Molly at Se... (Oct '13) Oct '13 anon 1
News Eager beaver blamed for Newa (Jun '13) Jun '13 DC tells it like ... 2
More from around the web