Monkey deaths push calls for crackdown

Monkey deaths push calls for crackdown

There are 2 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Mar 18, 2010, titled Monkey deaths push calls for crackdown. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

Workers at a Nevada research lab were checking on a primate room when they came across a ghastly sight: Thirty dead monkeys were essentially cooked alive after someone left the heater on.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

Mike

UK

#1 Mar 18, 2010
So let me see, there was an accident due to a systems failure and negligence by two employees at Charles River that resulted in the deaths of thirty two monkeys. Charles River reported the accident to the USDA who started an investigation, and eventually fined CR several thousand pounds. In the meawhile CR fired one of the employees who was responsible and disciplined another, and changed their systems to prevent such an accident ever happening again. I suspect that the modest fine reflected the USDA's awareness of the steps CR had already taken to make sure the accident is never repeated.

I wish hospitals could respond so well to such SNAFUs!

Now why would a worker fired for sexually harassing coworkers want to make accusations against their former employer, could they possibly be out for revenge? First there was "going postal" now we have "going PeTA".
fPharmgirl

AOL

#2 Mar 18, 2010
This is very cruel. Anyone who would do this is capable of doing anything. Hope they are not working in a daycare center or hospital. May who is responsible suffer the fires of hell. This was a henious, deliberate act, just like a wronged boyfriend killing his girlfriends child. No exception for this kind of cruelty in any form of life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charles River Laboratories International Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Patrick denies cooking job numbers - Sentinel &... (Nov '10) Nov '10 kamin 31
News election aftermath: rounds of layoffs (Nov '10) Nov '10 Doctors Orders 5
News Charles River Labs to Buy China Medical Company (Apr '10) Apr '10 Topazia 1
News College Graduates (Aug '09) Aug '09 Franklin Pierce g... 1
News Reports show animal welfare violations at 3 labs (Jun '09) Jun '09 Ralexa 2
News Two vying for selectmen positions in Wilmington... (Mar '09) Mar '09 Townie 4
News Farmer hopes to get back into animal-research biz (Jan '09) Jan '09 unknown 1