ConocoPhillips Looks To Cut Workforce

Jan 17, 2009 Read more: News on 6 Tulsa 8
The bad economy means a reduction for an oil giant. ConocoPhillips is cutting 1,300 jobs. Read more
Jan Mansfield

United States

#1 Jan 17, 2009
Yes now that they have filled their pockets are they willing to help people???...
No it does not seem like it...
jdbl

Broken Arrow, OK

#2 Jan 17, 2009
Jan Mansfield wrote:
Yes now that they have filled their pockets are they willing to help people???...
No it does not seem like it...
The only people any company is interested in helping is the preferred stock holders and board members. They have NO loyalty or concern for the people who make the money for them.
Bard

El Reno, OK

#3 Jan 17, 2009
Yep, they are in business to make money. I love how you guys expect them to keep people who they can't afford to keep. Better to take the whole company down than getting rid a few to help the bottom line. If you don't like it, go start a business and see how long it takes for you to get a clue.
Jimmy Chase

Oklahoma City, OK

#4 Jan 17, 2009
They'll cut the Americans out & outsource their jobs. Why not? Clinton's Free trade & outsourcing is great for the ceo's. The rich get richer, while the poor.. well.. Washington's elitists don't see them from their hoods. Lobbyists have ruined this country. The bribe system has taken out right & wrong..and get this Obama has hired the Clinton staff back into the system. The ones who forced outsourcing & free trade on us! Now America doesn't manufacture anything. Get this..the looose loan proposals & regulations that were taken out ( by those Obama new hires )are the cause of our financial mess. How come we aren't allowed to regulate the rich criminals? They are stealing America from the people. 50 billion at a time
jdbl

Broken Arrow, OK

#5 Jan 17, 2009
Bard wrote:
Yep, they are in business to make money. I love how you guys expect them to keep people who they can't afford to keep. Better to take the whole company down than getting rid a few to help the bottom line. If you don't like it, go start a business and see how long it takes for you to get a clue.
I understand cutting expenses to preserve the bottom line and make a profit. As you say, they are in business to make business. The arrogance is when companies put you on salary and expect your to work 70 hour weeks for 40 hour pay, sacrifice health, hobbies, and family to prove your commitment to the company while they know as well as you that as soon as they have a need or excuse you are out the door. There has to be a middle ground here somewhere so business can make money and employees can be treated like they really do matter.
Jason Blackwolf

Talala, OK

#6 Jan 17, 2009
This story doesn't mention the contractors they let go the Friday before Christmas and the group they let go yesterday. This included American and foreign contractors. I'm just amazed that the company supposedly made record profits the first 3 quarters of 2008 and now has to let contractors and employees go. Where did all that money go?
nadule

Mustang, OK

#9 Jan 17, 2009
Bard wrote:
Amen, they love to hurl the stones at the people who have the balls to start and run a business. They can't stand being dependant on them, so they bash them every chance they get.
nadule

Mustang, OK

#10 Jan 17, 2009
jdbl wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand cutting expenses to preserve the bottom line and make a profit. As you say, they are in business to make business. The arrogance is when companies put you on salary and expect your to work 70 hour weeks for 40 hour pay, sacrifice health, hobbies, and family to prove your commitment to the company while they know as well as you that as soon as they have a need or excuse you are out the door. There has to be a middle ground here somewhere so business can make money and employees can be treated like they really do matter.
Go invest your life savings in a company and then tell me you'll sit there while your profits dwindle so some guy who didn't have the nads to start and run his own business gets a free ride. As an investor you want a return on your money. You can't have that when it's being given away.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

ConocoPhillips Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Benefits of Turbo tax. (Dec '13) Dec '13 Laureen Barger 1
News Iran Wants U.S. Firms to Develop Oil Fields (Dec '13) Dec '13 Pic 3
Union 76 oil (Mar '06) Oct '13 Dean Sullivan 15
Industry Touts Major Mancos Shale Play: Estimat... (Mar '13) Mar '13 John Ford 1
News EPA highlights San Juan Basin polluters (Feb '13) Feb '13 PHD 19
News ConocoPhillips layoffs under way in Bartlesvill... (Apr '09) Feb '13 Cross Timbers Woman 9
News UPDATE 1-India state oil firms persist on Canad... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Lamont Alberta de... 1
More from around the web