ConocoPhillips Considers Job Cuts

ConocoPhillips Considers Job Cuts

There are 31 comments on the News on 6 Tulsa story from Nov 7, 2008, titled ConocoPhillips Considers Job Cuts. In it, News on 6 Tulsa reports that:

ConocoPhillips officials are confirming they're looking at possibly eliminating or moving 700 jobs at the company's Ponca City facility.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News on 6 Tulsa.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LHayes

Tulsa, OK

#21 Nov 9, 2008
JFR Fan wrote:
They certainly have their priorities in order. If the income is down even slightly better cut back so the big shots don't have to do without a big bonus for their outstanding work. Wouldn't want that money going to the employees who are actually doing the work.
Its what republicans do, what are you complaining about?
mischiff6901

Ponca City, OK

#23 Nov 21, 2008
What about the people they just moved here from Houston. The families that up rooted their kids from school and the friends they have known forever to better their themselves. The ones who have bought homes here in Ponca City which is not home. The kids making new friends and enjoying themselves on to be told a few months later they might be transferred back to where the came from. I for one do not want to go back there. Houston is not all its cracked up to be. Been there done that and don't want to do it again. Frank Phillips is probably turning in his grave.

“BOOMER SOONER”

Since: Sep 08

Sand Springs, OK

#24 Nov 21, 2008
seen it wrote:
<quoted text>OK let me get this straight. Conoco Phillips laying people or transfering them to other facilities is them attempting to drive up the cost of fuel? Where did you come up with this piece of logic? That makes as much sense as Al Gore saying he is going to save the planet while being knee deep in ethanol companies. There are many websites you can go to that will explain to you the actual workings of oil companies. Yes OPEC is cutting back on production to steady oil prices but Conoco Phillips does not have enough influence of any kind to affect the price of a barrel of crude. I am not trying to make you sound dumb I am trying to educate you a little bit. People come on here and make remarks about the oil industry and have no idea what they are talking about. I work for an international oil company and i trade and sell in many areas of the oil industry and we get daily reports from around the world about what is happening and what could be happening in the future far and near. Please research before you make a statement. Have a good day.
I have to completely agree with you...i work for a guy who has tons of working interests in oil wells, and i'm hoping this doesn't happen...BUT if gas would go up to about 60-70 dollars a barrell the big guys would be happy and so would we. As far as Conocophillips, they can't really even begin to try to control any prices, they just aren't big enough, like you said. These people that are being layed off, most of their jobs would be moved to Bartlesville for the most part, i'm not sure about the Houston area...It would be a really big hit for the City of ponco losing a company like that though.

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#25 Nov 21, 2008
Upstream wrote:
I feel so sorry for these families that are facing this. Why do these cuts always seem to happen right around Christmas?
they want the taxes on the separation packages to go against this years billions.
Paul M

Oklahoma City, OK

#26 Nov 22, 2008
Greed ! The board of directors,cfo's & ceo's gobbled up the profits. Man that was fast !!! These days (American) workers are expendable. The beaurocrats in Washington have accepted their lobbyist's bribes to allow it. The cfo's n ceo's have allready gobbled up those "record" billions in profits. Who do they think they are AIG?(with no laws enforced on the dredit default swaps.

America run by the top 2% of the richest people in the world & their bedside buddies (whom they wine & dine with). The upper management in large corps now have the ability to cut out the American worker altogether, in order to make larger profit margins at the top. I believe we outsourced 300,000 jobs in the last 90 days. It's amazing how the pompous rich people never see this as part of our economy woes.
Paul M

Oklahoma City, OK

#27 Nov 22, 2008
That was credit default swaps. Funny; how we threw 140 bill at the Aig problem, without reinstating the Glass- Stegal act. No loose loan laws were enforced, to eliminate short term profiteerseither. No laws were enforced to stop the credit default swaps. Perhaps we should go after the 70 trillion dollars stashed away in overseas accounts.
It's always nice to know; while the mass populous is taking a hit,
Multi million dollar yacht sales are booming. At least the wonderful "happy porkfilled" bailout had a clause thrown in to insure ocean front properties. After the immediate scare,(threat of martial law) Paulson(a 500,000 million dollar severence package man himself)decided on a new tarp plan. The Bailout wasn't needed however, they will find ways to spend it. I believe the whole fiasco involving those credit default swaps were the biggest heist ever perpetrated by mankind. "The Royal Scam". To add insult to injury, we are paying them bonuses for a job well done.(Kind of like Tulsa road crews) Instead of 25 year prison sentences.
my-two-cents-wor th

Oakland, CA

#28 Jan 10, 2009
Everyone seems to agree that corporate greed is the villian, so we as Americans need to change government so that lobbiest representing big business do not run our government. Email your representatives. Most companies treat workers poorly, and it isn't just oil companies. Americans need to take back our country and protect the middle class in America. I am hoping Obama can help American workers and help our bankrupt nation. And I support the Pickens Plan for new energy sources. Check it out at PickensPlan.com . God Bless America!
Ellie

AOL

#29 Jan 14, 2009
Pickens Plan? Ha, that's rich! He is sweating it now, because he had planned to make lots of dough from his ridiculous wind power companies. Boone is doing what he always does - look out for Boone's interests.

Anybody who thinks politicians are going to rescue anyone from greedy businessmen, isn't paying attention. Politicians are even greedier, and they feed off of anger frustration to get elected. Government can't save anyone from anything.

“Say it loud and proud.”

Since: Sep 08

Tulsa, OK

#30 Jan 14, 2009
Well why not jobs are over rated. This is crazy.

“Knowledge is Power”

Since: Feb 08

Pond Creek, Oklahoma

#31 Jan 15, 2009
Ellie wrote:
Pickens Plan? Ha, that's rich! He is sweating it now, because he had planned to make lots of dough from his ridiculous wind power companies. Boone is doing what he always does - look out for Boone's interests.
Anybody who thinks politicians are going to rescue anyone from greedy businessmen, isn't paying attention. Politicians are even greedier, and they feed off of anger frustration to get elected. Government can't save anyone from anything.
I'm not a pro Pickens guy but, I watched the video on his ideas for natural gas and they didn't seem crazy. I'm sure he has an interest but, I think though he's a billionaire; he might just be trying to help all Americans ween ourselves of oil thus; eliminating many problems we have(wars, relationships with other countries,etc.). Greed will always be the main incentive to solving complicated problems. I personally would just like to know that in 10 years we might just be out of the "war mindset" and not be destroying our planet.
Linda Bee

United States

#32 Feb 20, 2010
jaded by rotten atty wrote:
I tend to agree with Burly dude.........it's all about getting the price of gasoline back up to make their large profits.... Either way, they are screwing the citizens of Oklahoma and the rest of the country. Shame on them!!
Three years ago when my husband and I moved back to Ponca City from East Texas, 1 gallon of regular gas was then $4.02. In retrospect, will we sometime in the near future look back and say Ah, those were the days when gas was just $4.00 a gallon?!! I agree with both of you gentlemen, it is all about the profit,minus regard for the citizens.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

ConocoPhillips Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Part 3: Multiple Blows (Apr '12) Jun '17 MuKappaD 11
News ConocoPhillips: Dividend Obsession Hurts The Co... (Jul '15) Jul '15 UnCoverUp 1
News Bankrupt gasoline distributor's ex-president sa... (May '09) Jun '15 slappy 133
News Two oil companies fined millions for waste viol... (May '15) May '15 Fertilizing Divid... 1
News Benefits of Turbo tax. (Dec '13) Dec '13 Laureen Barger 1
News Iran Wants U.S. Firms to Develop Oil Fields (Dec '13) Dec '13 Pic 3
Union 76 oil (Mar '06) Oct '13 Dean Sullivan 15
More from around the web