ConocoPhillips Considers Job Cuts

ConocoPhillips Considers Job Cuts

There are 31 comments on the News on 6 Tulsa story from Nov 7, 2008, titled ConocoPhillips Considers Job Cuts. In it, News on 6 Tulsa reports that:

ConocoPhillips officials are confirming they're looking at possibly eliminating or moving 700 jobs at the company's Ponca City facility.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News on 6 Tulsa.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jimbo

Tulsa, OK

#1 Nov 7, 2008
Amazing, we have a year of umteen billion in profits and prices are down one month and were talking laying offs of 700 positions, and of course if its that bad well please don't ask them to start drilling or upgrading refineries. I've seen less bs at a feed lot.

“RIP Eric Medlen FC#4 1973-2007”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#2 Nov 7, 2008
They certainly have their priorities in order. If the income is down even slightly better cut back so the big shots don't have to do without a big bonus for their outstanding work. Wouldn't want that money going to the employees who are actually doing the work.

Since: Sep 08

Tulsa, OK

#3 Nov 7, 2008
So sad! Phillips always does this around the holidays. Ever since I was little, I can remember the fear of layoffs around Thanksgiving and Christmas. There isn't job security ANYWHERE!

“Knowledge is Power”

Since: Feb 08

Pond Creek, Oklahoma

#4 Nov 7, 2008
Being a current resident, I'll say the rumors are scaring everyone. If that occurs; Kay County will be in big financial straits. I pray this doesn't occur.
Upstream

Tulsa, OK

#5 Nov 7, 2008
I feel so sorry for these families that are facing this. Why do these cuts always seem to happen right around Christmas?

Since: Jun 08

Pryor, OK

#6 Nov 7, 2008
Its all about the money to Conoco/Phillips.... The heck with their employees. They have shareholders who want dividends which is not a bad thing.... I wonder if they paid them severance pay & a few extra bucks because of years of service etc...
zzz

Bartlesville, OK

#7 Nov 7, 2008
its not cuts, its mostly going to end up as transfers to bartlesville or houston. the city of ponca city on the whole might be in for the squeeze here, but conoco is good to its people. the media really has a slant on this story. gotta be on the side of the people and be as angry as possible at the oil companies.
conocofan

Enid, OK

#8 Nov 7, 2008
hope they lay-off 3000 personally, I need them to have a better profit margin. If you were in the ceos shoes you would do the same, I have been to ponca city--I have seen how you ppl act, what comes around goes around they say
Burly dude

Oklahoma City, OK

#9 Nov 8, 2008
zzz wrote:
its not cuts, its mostly going to end up as transfers to bartlesville or houston. the city of ponca city on the whole might be in for the squeeze here, but conoco is good to its people. the media really has a slant on this story. gotta be on the side of the people and be as angry as possible at the oil companies.
The anger is valid to a degree. Conoco (and other oil co.) may be good to their people. But this would seem to be an obvious threat, or attempt to create a market shortage for the intent of driving fuel back up. It's manipulating supply and demand.

“Who dropped the stupid bomb?”

Since: Aug 08

Doghouse

#10 Nov 8, 2008
conocofan wrote:
hope they lay-off 3000 personally, I need them to have a better profit margin. If you were in the ceos shoes you would do the same, I have been to ponca city--I have seen how you ppl act, what comes around goes around they say
You sign on as a conoco fan and then write this dribble... amazing.
jaded by rotten atty

Collinsville, OK

#11 Nov 8, 2008
I tend to agree with Burly dude.........it's all about getting the price of gasoline back up to make their large profits.... Either way, they are screwing the citizens of Oklahoma and the rest of the country. Shame on them!!
Priceless

Tulsa, OK

#12 Nov 8, 2008
Oil companies good to their employees? mhahhabffhhhaa! My brother worked for an oil company for years and years, then they laid him off with his severence package. He went to work for Dynegy on the stipulation that he re-invest that retirement with their company. They employed him for a few months and stole his retirement , then laid him off. They are corporate raiders and crooks and out for themselves. Run and take your money while you can.
seen it

San Antonio, TX

#13 Nov 8, 2008
Burly dude wrote:
<quoted text>
The anger is valid to a degree. Conoco (and other oil co.) may be good to their people. But this would seem to be an obvious threat, or attempt to create a market shortage for the intent of driving fuel back up. It's manipulating supply and demand.
OK let me get this straight. Conoco Phillips laying people or transfering them to other facilities is them attempting to drive up the cost of fuel? Where did you come up with this piece of logic? That makes as much sense as Al Gore saying he is going to save the planet while being knee deep in ethanol companies. There are many websites you can go to that will explain to you the actual workings of oil companies. Yes OPEC is cutting back on production to steady oil prices but Conoco Phillips does not have enough influence of any kind to affect the price of a barrel of crude. I am not trying to make you sound dumb I am trying to educate you a little bit. People come on here and make remarks about the oil industry and have no idea what they are talking about. I work for an international oil company and i trade and sell in many areas of the oil industry and we get daily reports from around the world about what is happening and what could be happening in the future far and near. Please research before you make a statement. Have a good day.
seen it

San Antonio, TX

#14 Nov 8, 2008
sorry i meant laying people off. but i can see where getting fired would be getting screwed
In PC

Aransas Pass, TX

#15 Nov 8, 2008
To Jaded and Burly: The "Full Story" on Topix did not give the full story. This study is not about the refinery. It is about the 700 positions that are outside the refinery that do not support the refinery, such as Technology, Transportation, etc. It won't have any effect on the price of oil, but it will save the company money. What this will do is hurt the people and towns in Kay County.
seen it

San Antonio, TX

#16 Nov 8, 2008
Priceless wrote:
Oil companies good to their employees? mhahhabffhhhaa! My brother worked for an oil company for years and years, then they laid him off with his severence package. He went to work for Dynegy on the stipulation that he re-invest that retirement with their company. They employed him for a few months and stole his retirement , then laid him off. They are corporate raiders and crooks and out for themselves. Run and take your money while you can.
Sound like your brother made the bad choice in this situation. what was his specialty in the oilfield? there are many many jobs overseas that pay well.

“Knowledge is Power”

Pond Creek, Oklahoma

#17 Nov 8, 2008
conocofan wrote:
How do we act? Sounds like you're an elitists who beats down the working man. The city has it's scum just like Enid. What goes around huh? Enid would be nothing if Vance wasn't saved from the base cuts years ago. I grew up in Pond Creek and know Enid well. Both cities are doing their best in this terrible economy. Your mentality is childish and uncalled for. You fail to realize these employees helped your beloved portfolio. There is a crazy word called compassion. Look it up! God hates Greed.
Paul M

Oklahoma City, OK

#18 Nov 8, 2008
It's amazing! when oil was double the price pr /bl a few months ago, the upper eschelon in these oil co's were making record billions in profit. Where did all that money go? Squandered by the board of directors,coos n ceos. That was fast. Management is allowed to think "short term" nowadays. They aren't held accountable anymore for skimming all the profits. Perhaps they'll be pleading for a bailout ( to pay for their severence packages) The price at the pump made our lives miserable. Greedy pigs!! layoffs!! after just a couple of months of reduced barrel prices??? please???
Start at the top. If these companies continue cutting peoples jobs who accomplish tasks, & continue to hold on to the ones pillaging ( that never work) How in the he!! will they continue to stay in business. These money hoarding ceo's are now making soooo much money they are bankrupting companies all across the US. I say, dump one fat chump who makes poor decisions & save the 700 people that actually do the work.You'll most likely save more money. Of course we all know numerous co's are laying off & secretly outsourcing. They reap higher profit magins at the top by cutting out the American workers.
seen it

Tulsa, OK

#19 Nov 9, 2008
On the money situation with the oil companies do yall not realize it can cost up to $750000 a day to drill with a offshore rig? This doesn't include labor and replacing parts and equipment. That profit is spent on all kinds of expenses. I feel for the domestic companies but overseas they are not hurting like they are here.

“Knowledge is Power”

Pond Creek, Oklahoma

#20 Nov 9, 2008
seen it wrote:
On the money situation with the oil companies do yall not realize it can cost up to $750000 a day to drill with a offshore rig? This doesn't include labor and replacing parts and equipment. That profit is spent on all kinds of expenses. I feel for the domestic companies but overseas they are not hurting like they are here.
If their costs are so much of a burden; why did Exxon post a multi-Billion dollar profit for the 1st and 2nd quarters??? I don't know the exact numbers but I know this: My father and uncles worked for and some still work for oil companies. They have gone to contract labor to reduce the benefits they must pay. My dad was laid off after 24 1/2 years! He got about $10k and the boot. Why was this very hardworking and loyal employee let go? Because they realized they could pay a younger worker half the wage and no benefits!!!! Conoco, BP, Exxon, etc. are all alike. Greed begets greed. My sympathy lies only with those whose lives have been negatively altered because some deuche bag driving a BMW wants to vacation in Italy. SCREW 'em! They are part of our economic problems and have done nil to help anybody but OPEC and themselves.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

ConocoPhillips Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Part 3: Multiple Blows (Apr '12) Oct '16 American 6
News ConocoPhillips: Dividend Obsession Hurts The Co... (Jul '15) Jul '15 UnCoverUp 1
News Bankrupt gasoline distributor's ex-president sa... (May '09) Jun '15 slappy 133
News Two oil companies fined millions for waste viol... (May '15) May '15 Fertilizing Divid... 1
News Benefits of Turbo tax. (Dec '13) Dec '13 Laureen Barger 1
News Iran Wants U.S. Firms to Develop Oil Fields (Dec '13) Dec '13 Pic 3
Union 76 oil (Mar '06) Oct '13 Dean Sullivan 15
More from around the web