ConocoPhillips Begins Layoffs

ConocoPhillips Begins Layoffs

There are 19 comments on the News on 6 Tulsa story from Mar 4, 2009, titled ConocoPhillips Begins Layoffs. In it, News on 6 Tulsa reports that:

Job cuts are underway at ConocoPhillips in Bartlesville and Ponca City. The energy company announced last month that it planned to cut 4% of its workforce.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News on 6 Tulsa.

unmotivated31

Pawhuska, OK

#1 Mar 5, 2009
Sos different company!
Dean Wisdom

Tulsa, OK

#2 Mar 5, 2009
Sos! cause the upper eschelon is untouchable. People who greedily self endulge at the co's expense are nevr held accountable.

“Yuck!”

Since: Feb 09

Park Hill, OK

#3 Mar 5, 2009
Well for once they didn't wait and do it at Christmas. Which is what they used to do in the past!!
Ponca City

Bartlesville, OK

#4 Mar 5, 2009
I'm so sick of hearing the sob stories of people in Bartlesville. Bartlesville gained 650 jobs from Houston and Ponca City and now another 750 jobs are going to be leaving Ponca City. No one in Bartlesville cares what that's going to do the town of Ponca City. I hope Bartlesville loses more so they can feel the pain of a thriving town become nothing.

“Taste the Rainbow”

Since: Jul 08

Houston, TX

#5 Mar 5, 2009
Oh that sucks carrot top. But I cant help but wonder what other cost cutting measures did they put into place before they resorted to this. For instance: did they sell company jets, etc?

GREED GREED GREED
otis

Mccoy, CO

#6 Mar 5, 2009
Won't be long before bville is a ghost town.
that crappy chevy place went out last week, now the lay offs at conoco on the other side of town. i wonder who's next.
Don Nester

Bartlesville, OK

#7 Mar 5, 2009
This economy is beyond all of our control, and I know you all are doing your best to soften the blow for those being layed off, but those of us not endanger of being let go are probably willing to freeze our salaries, give back a week or two of vacation, trim some benifits, to keep our work family together through this difficult period. We sink or swim together as a family, business or country. If there are lessons to learn, let's learn them and move forward to the blessings our forefathers envisioned for our America!
wild willie

Bartlesville, OK

#8 Mar 5, 2009
well i wonder if this will affect mulva's sallry of 900 thousand a week....approx 55 million a year?
i bet it wont!!!

“Taste the Rainbow”

Houston, TX

#9 Mar 5, 2009
Don Nester wrote:
This economy is beyond all of our control, and I know you all are doing your best to soften the blow for those being layed off, but those of us not endanger of being let go are probably willing to freeze our salaries, give back a week or two of vacation, trim some benifits, to keep our work family together through this difficult period. We sink or swim together as a family, business or country. If there are lessons to learn, let's learn them and move forward to the blessings our forefathers envisioned for our America!
That's very noble of you. I wonder if those in charge would be willing to do the same? Something is telling me no!!
tnt

Broken Arrow, OK

#10 Mar 5, 2009
I just wonder how bad the economy is really going to get. Is it going to be as bad as it was during the depression? Gosh, it really is starting to get scary.
a person

Stillwater, OK

#11 Mar 5, 2009
like no one saw this one coming...??? just wait there will be way more layoffs in the furture for this company, not just in the b-ville area.
hummm...just wait until obama's new bill passes then devon and chesapeak will tank b/c they wont be able to build their tower they need to build...oh and no more imported oil....yay for change!...not

“Taste the Rainbow”

Houston, TX

#12 Mar 5, 2009
a person wrote:
like no one saw this one coming...??? just wait there will be way more layoffs in the furture for this company, not just in the b-ville area.
hummm...just wait until obama's new bill passes then devon and chesapeak will tank b/c they wont be able to build their tower they need to build...oh and no more imported oil....yay for change!...not
I think there is a little more to it than just Obama's bill. The select few execs need to cut back on THEIR spending before they go laying off their loyal employees who work for just pennies.
a person

Stillwater, OK

#13 Mar 5, 2009
no duh! everybody is going to have to make cuts i'm not brain-dead. the economy is going to get worse before it will get better, so i can clearly see a lot of huge petroleum companies going to have huge layoffs in the next few years.
AND
i've been around this shit long enough to know that they would layoff "loyal" employees to save their own ass, even the ones who have over a hundred patents for the company. That company is a gamble, and when they lose they lose big.

“Taste the Rainbow”

Houston, TX

#14 Mar 6, 2009
a person wrote:
no duh! everybody is going to have to make cuts i'm not brain-dead. the economy is going to get worse before it will get better, so i can clearly see a lot of huge petroleum companies going to have huge layoffs in the next few years.
AND
i've been around this **** long enough to know that they would layoff "loyal" employees to save their own ****, even the ones who have over a hundred patents for the company. That company is a gamble, and when they lose they lose big.
Alrighty then!

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#15 Mar 6, 2009
Ponca City wrote:
I'm so sick of hearing the **** stories of people in Bartlesville. Bartlesville gained 650 jobs from Houston and Ponca City and now another 750 jobs are going to be leaving Ponca City. No one in Bartlesville cares what that's going to do the town of Ponca City. I hope Bartlesville loses more so they can feel the pain of a thriving town become nothing.
very petty of you. such a warm heart.
John

Tulsa, OK

#16 Mar 9, 2009
JustaRandomGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
That's very noble of you. I wonder if those in charge would be willing to do the same? Something is telling me no!!
You won't see the Union auto n aircraft workers giving an inch. The auto workers are still getting 45 paid vaca days. No wonder they can't make $.
Perhaps they'll force the taxpayers to pick up some tabs , the way we do for American Airlines. The taxpayers pay for their hanger, heat & air.
Paul M

Tulsa, OK

#17 Mar 9, 2009
JustaRandomGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
I think there is a little more to it than just Obama's bill. The select few execs need to cut back on THEIR spending before they go laying off their loyal employees who work for just pennies.
Uproot the lavisihing Ceo, Cfo n Ccos and reboot the whole system.
You donít have to be an economic genius to figure this one out people. Big banks and insurance companies are failing due to their own greed and unregulated oversite by our own government.

It doesn't help to outsource all of our jobs either.
& Free trade is great for the people who don't have to follow rules. They win everytime. They are turning the US to sh!t!, for higher profit margins at the top.
We need to dump the lobbyists, it's effecting the descision process in Washington.
Both parties are on the take!

Take corporate sponsors out of our politcs.
All I'm seeing, is rich people lining each others pockets. We the people don't have the bribe $

I've got a better stimulus. Take back the $ from AIG & give it to the people. Anybody who handed out/or received millions in bonuses at taxpayer's expenses(during a crises)should be shot or imprisoned! Aig is the worst example of management abuse in history! Since they have full time lobbyists lining pockets in Washington, it is very import that the tax payers continue to hand them billions. The waiting line for "new" luxury yaughts is now 4 years. Aig management still has to wait in line with the bank & housing execs. They accepted short term profits knowing it would lead to a adverse effect. I vote for public hangings. Take back the money & distribute it amongst the tax payers. That would spark the economy directly. If we took the $ we gave AIG alone & divided amongst the people (instead of CEO's & exec pigs) We'd see millions of common people buying cars & houses. These elitists & their government are keeping everything to themselves. They believe in the trickle down effect. If you hand them millions & billions, they will eventually be nice enough to bring our jobs back & give us loans.

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#18 Mar 9, 2009
tnt wrote:
I just wonder how bad the economy is really going to get. Is it going to be as bad as it was during the depression? Gosh, it really is starting to get scary.
It will get as bad as you let the government make it.
John

Tulsa, OK

#19 Mar 11, 2009
Paul M wrote:
<quoted text>
Uproot the lavisihing Ceo, Cfo n Ccos and reboot the whole system.
You donít have to be an economic genius to figure this one out people. Big banks and insurance companies are failing due to their own greed and unregulated oversite by our own government.
It doesn't help to outsource all of our jobs either.
& Free trade is great for the people who don't have to follow rules. They win everytime. They are turning the US to ****!, for higher profit margins at the top.
We need to dump the lobbyists, it's effecting the descision process in Washington.
Both parties are on the take!
Take corporate sponsors out of our politcs.
All I'm seeing, is rich people lining each others pockets. We the people don't have the bribe $
I've got a better stimulus. Take back the $ from AIG & give it to the people. Anybody who handed out/or received millions in bonuses at taxpayer's expenses(during a crises)should be shot or imprisoned! Aig is the worst example of management abuse in history! Since they have full time lobbyists lining pockets in Washington, it is very import that the tax payers continue to hand them billions. The waiting line for "new" luxury yaughts is now 4 years. Aig management still has to wait in line with the bank & housing execs. They accepted short term profits knowing it would lead to a adverse effect. I vote for public hangings. Take back the money & distribute it amongst the tax payers. That would spark the economy directly. If we took the $ we gave AIG alone & divided amongst the people (instead of CEO's & exec pigs) We'd see millions of common people buying cars & houses. These elitists & their government are keeping everything to themselves. They believe in the trickle down effect. If you hand them millions & billions, they will eventually be nice enough to bring our jobs back & give us loans.
yes sir fire all management who fail miserably at their jobs. Start holding them accountable for their actions. The gov't is accepting kickbacks from them , hence the major bailout(severence packages to the rich ceos) that ought to help the people allright!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

ConocoPhillips Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Part 3: Multiple Blows (Apr '12) Jun '17 MuKappaD 11
News ConocoPhillips: Dividend Obsession Hurts The Co... (Jul '15) Jul '15 UnCoverUp 1
News Bankrupt gasoline distributor's ex-president sa... (May '09) Jun '15 slappy 133
News Two oil companies fined millions for waste viol... (May '15) May '15 Fertilizing Divid... 1
News Benefits of Turbo tax. (Dec '13) Dec '13 Laureen Barger 1
News Iran Wants U.S. Firms to Develop Oil Fields (Dec '13) Dec '13 Pic 3
Union 76 oil (Mar '06) Oct '13 Dean Sullivan 15
More from around the web