Coach sues Target over handbags it sa...

Coach sues Target over handbags it says are copies

There are 17 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Oct 5, 2009, titled Coach sues Target over handbags it says are copies. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Coach Inc. is suing low-price retailer Target Corp. over bags the luxury handbag maker says too closely resemble its own designs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

go Target

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Oct 6, 2009
Coach makes a pretty bag, but it is crazy to spend $300 or more for a purse. Target has the right idea -- price the bag so women can afford it.
Anastasia Beaverhausen

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Oct 6, 2009
go Target wrote:
Coach makes a pretty bag, but it is crazy to spend $300 or more for a purse. Target has the right idea -- price the bag so women can afford it.
Or, if you get tired of buying a $30-$40 purse twice a year because they fall apart,$300 for my Coach purse that's lasted 7 years and still looks new doesn't seem too bad.

“Obamacs at it's finest!”

Since: Mar 09

Anytown, Minnesota........

#3 Oct 6, 2009
Anastasia Beaverhausen wrote:
<quoted text>
Or, if you get tired of buying a $30-$40 purse twice a year because they fall apart,$300 for my Coach purse that's lasted 7 years and still looks new doesn't seem too bad.
I don't have much to contribute to this post other than to say that several years ago I purshcased a Coach purse for my daughter ( it was on her Xmas list)..I was shocked at the price but , what the heck, it was what she wanted.....My main reason for posting was just so I could be on the same thread as Anastasia Beaverhausen....I just love that name and now everytime I surf thru the TV listings and see Will and Grace, Well, I just have to smile and chuckle...thanks for that, it is, without a doubt, the best Post name on here!!!! and I am proud to be underneath you Anastasia......
Anastasia Beaverhausen

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Oct 6, 2009
Oh Danny Boy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have much to contribute to this post other than to say that several years ago I purshcased a Coach purse for my daughter ( it was on her Xmas list)..I was shocked at the price but , what the heck, it was what she wanted.....My main reason for posting was just so I could be on the same thread as Anastasia Beaverhausen....I just love that name and now everytime I surf thru the TV listings and see Will and Grace, Well, I just have to smile and chuckle...thanks for that, it is, without a doubt, the best Post name on here!!!! and I am proud to be underneath you Anastasia......
Awww. I'm blushing. ;)
The Big Bopper

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Oct 6, 2009
Anastasia Beaverhausen wrote:
<quoted text>
Or, if you get tired of buying a $30-$40 purse twice a year because they fall apart,$300 for my Coach purse that's lasted 7 years and still looks new doesn't seem too bad.
I duct taped that $30 dollar one and it has lasted me over 7 years. If I've got an extra $300, trust me, it doesn't go to buy a designer purse.
Anastasia Beaverhausen

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Oct 6, 2009
The Big Bopper wrote:
<quoted text>
I duct taped that $30 dollar one and it has lasted me over 7 years. If I've got an extra $300, trust me, it doesn't go to buy a designer purse.
Well, I don't think my customers would think highly of me walking into their homes with duct tape on my purse. Not very professional.
Anastasia Beaverhausen

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Oct 6, 2009
I didn't hit "Post Comment" twice so I have no idea what just happened.
Anastasia Beaverhausen

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Oct 6, 2009
The Big Bopper wrote:
<quoted text>
I duct taped that $30 dollar one and it has lasted me over 7 years. If I've got an extra $300, trust me, it doesn't go to buy a designer purse.
And another thing, I HAVE the extra $300.00 for a designer purse because I work hard and save for it.

“Obamacs at it's finest!”

Since: Mar 09

Anytown, Minnesota........

#9 Oct 7, 2009
Anastasia Beaverhausen wrote:
<quoted text>
And another thing, I HAVE the extra $300.00 for a designer purse because I work hard and save for it.
thatta girl Anastasia, you tell em!!!!!!!!!! you go girl.....
The Big Bopper

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Oct 7, 2009
Anastasia Beaverhausen wrote:
<quoted text>
And another thing, I HAVE the extra $300.00 for a designer purse because I work hard and save for it.
Thank you. Not all of us evidentally work as hard as you do.. or deserve that designer purse as much as you do.... Some of us work hard to put food on the table and don't have that extra $300 for luxuries (as YOU do)

Thanks for pointint that out. As the other posting stating: YOU GO GIRL! YOU GO GIRL!

By the way, the Salvation Army will be placing their kettles out soon... I save for that (rather than that designer purse-- which YOU deserve, of course)!

Enough.
Julia

Eden Prairie, MN

#11 Oct 7, 2009
I think the suit is kind of dumb. I don't see why we should take anyone apart for having this purse. People should spend their money however they like.
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Oct 7, 2009
If people have the extra $300 to spend on whatever they want they should spend it on whatever they want.

I wouldn't spend it on a purse but that's only because I'm not really into purses. If I had extra income it would go for computers and software.
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Oct 7, 2009
Julia wrote:
I think the suit is kind of dumb. I don't see why we should take anyone apart for having this purse. People should spend their money however they like.
The suit isn't dumb. If Target is selling purses that are very close to the design of Coach purses they are encroaching on Coach's patent's and Coach must call them on it or risk losing their right to their own designs.
jim moore

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Oct 7, 2009
Why sue Target, they purchased the purses from somebody that is importing them from some third world country. Sue the guy that sold them to Target, is Target supposed to know what every coach purse looks like ?
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Oct 7, 2009
jim moore wrote:
Why sue Target, they purchased the purses from somebody that is importing them from some third world country. Sue the guy that sold them to Target, is Target supposed to know what every coach purse looks like ?
Target is the one selling them to the public. It would be Target who would sue their supplier.

And in the article it says that this isn't the first time Coach has sued Target. They did so in 2006 for the same reason. The companies came to a settlement. They probably will come to a settlement this time as well.

We don't know the background of this story either. I'm wondering if Coach first sent a cease and desist order to Target and Target ignored it. That's the usual routine in cases of this. A company finds that another company is infringing on their copyright, company A sends company B a cease and desist order and if company B obeys it no problem but if it's ignored then the next step is usually a lawsuit.

“Obamacs at it's finest!”

Since: Mar 09

Anytown, Minnesota........

#17 Oct 7, 2009
The Big Bopper wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you. Not all of us evidentally work as hard as you do.. or deserve that designer purse as much as you do.... Some of us work hard to put food on the table and don't have that extra $300 for luxuries (as YOU do)
Thanks for pointint that out. As the other posting stating: YOU GO GIRL! YOU GO GIRL!
By the way, the Salvation Army will be placing their kettles out soon... I save for that (rather than that designer purse-- which YOU deserve, of course)!
Enough.
are we a little bitter cuz someone can afford to pay $300 for a purse and YOU can't?...sure sounds like it to me....perhaps Ana is resourceful with her money...should she feel guilty becuz she CAN afford that purse and YOU can't?....I don't think so....I am glad you save for teh kettle Drive, I contribute as well and you know, without even knowing Ana I would venture to say that she probalby does too..however, probably not as much as you but thanks for sharing......keep us postd on how much you DO actaully put in that kettle will you please?
Hey Now

Lake Elmo, MN

#18 Oct 8, 2009
Oh Danny Boy wrote:
<quoted text>
are we a little bitter cuz someone can afford to pay $300 for a purse and YOU can't?...sure sounds like it to me....perhaps Ana is resourceful with her money...should she feel guilty becuz she CAN afford that purse and YOU can't?....I don't think so....I am glad you save for teh kettle Drive, I contribute as well and you know, without even knowing Ana I would venture to say that she probalby does too..however, probably not as much as you but thanks for sharing......keep us postd on how much you DO actaully put in that kettle will you please?
I'll put one of those fab purses in for ya!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chinese tourists power-shopping in U.S. (Aug '13) Jul 9 BornAgain123 15
News DOJ trying to speed up deportation process for ... Apr '17 spytheweb 4
News Coach's Sales Picture Still Isn't Pretty (Jan '15) Jan '15 jeffry 1
News Wall Street Movers, 01/20: New York Times,... (Jan '10) Mar '14 Eddi 2
News U.S. Stock Futures Rise as Retail Sales Gain Mo... (Mar '13) Dec '13 The Prudent Investor 5
News Coach and Other Services Stocks Making Big Move... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Wanda 1
News American, US Airways Fare Worst for Hassle (Dec '11) Nov '12 e46M3 e60M5 2
More from around the web