Houses near gas drilling in Dimock hooked to temporary water supply

Jan 21, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Press & Sun-Bulletin

Fearing the risk of an explosion, officials from Cabot Oil & Gas have installed temporary water supplies to four homes in Dimock, Pa., where unacceptable levels of natural gas have collected in private wells.

Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Apr 1, 2010
lisab

Chambersburg, PA

#1 Feb 5, 2009
I was raised just outside of Montrose, Pa. Most people that live in that part of Pa are absolutely wonderful, trusting, good people but unfortunately most are very uneducated. There are no jobs and it is very economically depressed. The few small factories that existed there when I was a little girl have closed because everything has moved to Mexico. I'm convinced these people have been taken advantaged of by the representatives of the gas companies and were never explained all the risks involved. The gas companies used money to convince these people to sign the contracts knowing how economically depressed these communities are. A family friend has signed a contract and told me that if she hadn't she would have lost out on any profits because all the other neighbors signed. Her biggest concern was the well being built directly on her property. She never had expressed any concerns about her water or the environment. I'm sure very few had the knowlege that they should have consulted an attorney before they signed anything. That area of Pa is beautiful and it will be such a sin to see the environment destroyed. Families that live there have been there for generations. There houses and land will be worthless and the water unsafe to drink. To someone that has lived somewhere their whole life no amount of money can replaces that loss. Strict regulations need to be created and enforced quickly to save the land that hasn't been drilled on yet. Shame to the gas companies.
Joe

New Ringgold, PA

#2 Feb 16, 2009
lisab wrote:
I was raised just outside of Montrose, Pa. Most people that live in that part of Pa are absolutely wonderful, trusting, good people but unfortunately most are very uneducated. There are no jobs and it is very economically depressed. The few small factories that existed there when I was a little girl have closed because everything has moved to Mexico. I'm convinced these people have been taken advantaged of by the representatives of the gas companies and were never explained all the risks involved. The gas companies used money to convince these people to sign the contracts knowing how economically depressed these communities are. A family friend has signed a contract and told me that if she hadn't she would have lost out on any profits because all the other neighbors signed. Her biggest concern was the well being built directly on her property. She never had expressed any concerns about her water or the environment. I'm sure very few had the knowlege that they should have consulted an attorney before they signed anything. That area of Pa is beautiful and it will be such a sin to see the environment destroyed. Families that live there have been there for generations. There houses and land will be worthless and the water unsafe to drink. To someone that has lived somewhere their whole life no amount of money can replaces that loss. Strict regulations need to be created and enforced quickly to save the land that hasn't been drilled on yet. Shame to the gas companies.
I have been renting in Dimock since December. There is a drilling site about 2 miles down 3023(Dimock to Nicholson Rd.)I am recently learning of this huge drilling rampage and opportunity for local land owners. Just yesterday a local person told me how dozens of huge trucks go by every day carrying yards of sand used to "Frack" the vessels open to free the resources.The sand is "Blasted" into the wells to open and clear out obstructions. I now understand why my children have oil specs all over their backs and stomachs after exiting the shower. We couldn't even clean the black oily specs and smears out of the shower with a harsh toilet cleaner chemical. We wonder how much of this contamination we have injested already! If we cant clean it out of the tub with a sand sponge and a chemical, How good can this be for our bodies? This is my first attempt to draw out possible solutions from anyone who may be able to help. I have called the DEP and they said they would get in touch with an inspector if they could today. Oil from my car must be disposed of by law through an approved company, yet the presence of the seemingly same substance due to the prosperity chasing locals is being absorbed into my familys bodies during daily living. We do not have the ability to just pick up and go, but if we must?
Mary

Lake Ariel, PA

#4 Mar 1, 2009
Hi Joe,

I do not know if your problems are related to the drilling or not, but, I would guess there is at least some chance that they are. PLEASE, do not consume any more of this water until you find out exactly what is going on! Frankly, I would even be wary of washing with it until you know it is safe. Pester the DEP if you have to. And where is your landlord? Has he/she been informed?

For more information on the potential negative effects of gas drilling, see:

http://earthworksaction.org/Health%20and%20To...
MaryS

Lake Ariel, PA

#5 Mar 1, 2009
I am the "Mary" who posted the above, and I am not in Carbondale, PA. I think that when I typed my own (pretty common) name into the "Name" blank the system assumed that I was another user. Anyway, I wanted to make that clear, and to apologize to the "real" Mary in Carbondale--I certainly had no intention of "stealing" your account--this is a glitch in the topix system, I guess.
Laurie

East Pharsalia, NY

#6 Mar 1, 2009
Joe and anyone else, please go here:
"What You Need to Know – A Practical Guide to Covering Your Ass”
www.journeyoftheforsaken.com/whatyouneedtokno...

Also, please keep in touch with us at naturalgasinfo@un-naturalgas.o rg
You can also go to http://www.un-naturalgas.org for more information. This site has links to a large and growing number of other groups and resources. And feel free to use our weblog (linked from our home page) to post your experiences.

Hang in there. There are lots of us fighting this miserable industrial process. One of the best things you can do is link up with others, communicate, and work together.
Vera

Tunkhannock, PA

#7 Mar 4, 2009
Joe,
are you still having problems with the shower water
and did you get any help from DEP or some agency;
can I come by and see what you are finding in your water and shower; thanks,
my email:
veraduerga@yahoo.com
here in Dimock too

Towanda, PA

#8 Mar 19, 2009
There is a meeting here in Dimock on Saturday March 21, 2009 @ 12:30
OOO My Tgnorant neighbors forgot to tell me too....
Sharon Wickett

Tunkhannock, PA

#9 Mar 19, 2009
here in Dimock too wrote:
There is a meeting here in Dimock on Saturday March 21, 2009 @ 12:30
OOO My Tgnorant neighbors forgot to tell me too....
If you have any information about this meeting, I know a local hydrogeologist who would be interested in possibly attending. He could offer valuable insight to residents regarding this problem.
tony the tiger

San Diego, CA

#10 Mar 19, 2009
go check out myspace.com/vera1rocks let me know what you think...thanks
carolyn

New York, NY

#11 Jun 10, 2009
I too am very concerned about the gas drilling. I was on the phone with someone from Cabot Gas who told me that methane in well water was " naturally occurring." Oh really, so why did it appear after those wells in Dimock were drilled.? I would like to meet like minded people. So far I have been told my a gas company man that I am " anti -american" and "stupid" for not wanting to lease my land. I own 10 acres in Dimock. email me at wellsc690@aol.com
John Kurilla

Thompson, PA

#12 Jun 19, 2009
I believe that NE Pennsylvania is facing an environmental disaster with this drilling/fracturing taking place on our land. How can it be anything else when the drillers, take millions of gallons of fresh water and mix in 70 0r 80 chemicals such as ethylene glycol, glutaraldehyde, monoethanolamine, 5-chloro methyl isothiazine then force it into the ground. Half of those chemicals stay in the ground> THEY ARE HARMFUL TO ALL HUMANS AND Animals Alike yet they'll be permanently located in our good green earth.
Everyone reading these postings has to loudly complain to any and all government officials, the media, your congressmen, senators. This activity will poison all of our groundwater, lakes and rivers into the distant future.. Yell now before it's too late.
John
Ashley

Selinsgrove, PA

#13 Sep 21, 2009
I live outside of Montoursville, Pa in Upper Fairfield township and they are going to drill 754ft from our well and I am HIGHLY concerned. I fear our well water will be contaminated and our land and air will be highly polluted. Rice Energy is the company. Anyone know anything about them? They are drilling 4 sites within a two mile radius from our home. There is a meeting at the local Baptist church Tuesday, Sept 28th at 7pm and I along, with many upset neighbors are attending. We need to stop this now and not let them drill. Our District reps are going to be there, however, I've heard they are for the drilling and do not care about the people. How do we prevent what is happening in Dimock and other places in PA?
meandyou

Shreveport, LA

#14 Apr 1, 2010
If you sign a lease and get money,you may get more than you expect.The only people who should sign a lease are the ones that plan to move away .If I signed I would move.People see $$$$$$$$$$ and sign even fight to sign.Then when the inevitable contamination happens.They then cry like babies.What did you expect .You dont get mucho denaro for nothing!When this first stated everyone who got an offer couldnt wait to sign and get that cash.I now cant buy my parents farm because its worth too much for gas rights! I know HOW MR. SUTTER FELT when gold was discoverd:(

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cabot Oil and Gas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cabot Oil & Gas to Buy East Texas Assets; Bossi... (Jul '08) Thu Bryan 12
Dimock Water Situation Follow Up (Dec '11) Jan '13 bigdoc 4
Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation Announces Major Lea... (Feb '12) Mar '12 paul shykora 4
Cabot Oil & Gas (COG) Shares Downgraded by Simm... (Feb '12) Feb '12 jcsal 1
Cabot CEO: EPA investigation of Dimock a waste (Jan '12) Jan '12 Dwight Baker 1
Water delivered to Pa. village with tainted wells (Jan '12) Jan '12 Dwight Baker 1
Cabot Oil & Gas (COG) Given "Neutral" Rating by... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Dwight Baker 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Cabot Oil and Gas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••