Lawyers demand water for tainted Pa. town

Nov 4, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: El Paso Times

A law firm is demanding that Pennsylvania environmental regulators reverse their decision to allow a natural-gas driller to stop delivering replacement water to residents of a town whose drinking water wells were contaminated.

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Dec 2, 2011
Dwight Baker

Eagle Pass, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2011

Judged:

A CASE OF WHO GREASES THE WHEELS OF POLITICANS
BY Dwight Baker
Dbaker22@stx.rr.com
11/5/11
Article
Lawyers want water for Pa. town's tainted wells
By MICHAEL RUBINKAM Associated Press
Posted: 11/04/2011 10:25:05 AM MDT
http://www.elpasotimes.com/nationworld/ci_192...

EXCERPT:
SCRANTON, Pa.—A law firm has demanded that Pennsylvania environmental regulators force a natural-gas driller to continue delivering replacement water to residents of a town whose drinking water wells were tainted with methane and possibly hazardous chemicals.

Cabot Oil & Gas Corp. has been delivering water to homes in the northeastern Pennsylvania village of Dimock since January 2009. The Houston-based energy company asserts Dimock's water is safe to drink and won regulatory permission last month to stop the water deliveries by the end of November.
MY TAKE:
Cabot knows how to Grease the Wheels on Politicians Band Wagons. Yes regulatory permission means that some politician made the call. Now does that ever stop? The only way to do so is start locking up those who have crooked then crooked the books to take away the guilt shame and blame in offending persons and property.

I believe the story goes much deeper than just with Cabot. I believe but do not have proof yet that XTO drilled many wells in that same region and have wells that are leaking natural gas in fresh water sands. Now XTO is part of EXXON MOBIL and it is easy to see with one TV AD after another that the big pitch of how much that industry means to America and how good they are is a propaganda push to help these kinds of things to go away.

Where is the EPA?
Dwight Baker

Eagle Pass, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2011

Judged:

WHAT CAN AND MUST BE DONE?
By Dwight Baker
Dbaker22@stx.rr.com
11/5/11
Article
Lawyers want water for Pa. town's tainted wells
By MICHAEL RUBINKAM Associated Press
Posted: 11/04/2011 10:25:05 AM MDT
http://www.elpasotimes.com/nationworld/ci_192...

MY TAKE
Some have thought wrongly that the natural gas that migrated into the fresh water zones occurred during the Fracking better said Fracturing process. However that is not true. Many wells around in the Marcellus shale without being fractured still leak natural gas back to the surface.

The only way that can happen is a non-binding cement job between the casing installed and hole drilled that allows for the gas to leak up and around to the surface but in doing the fresh water zones below have that pressurized gas pushed inside.

So the fix for now on those wells is simple shot holes in the casing string below the fresh water zone set a packer in the hole then begin pumping in cement. Then go down the hole another 1000 feet or more and repeat that process. Therefore the migrating gas that has come up and around the outside of the casing string of pipe will be stopped.

There are ways to check to make for certain that the migration of gas has been stopped.

Once complete then pump the entire producing well full of cement from bottom to top in stages.
Matt at shaleoilresouce

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2011

Judged:

Referencing an article from the Sublette Examiner here, it appears the EPA may have found a link between hydraulic fracturing and drinking water contamination. The EPA is currently doing a study on hydraulic fracturing to determine if there is a link between aquifer contamination and the presence of hydraulic fracturing. According to the article:

“Petroleum-related findings included benzene (found at a level 50 times the MCL (maximum contaminant level), or what is considered safe for humans), phenols (also considered a dangerous human carcinogen by the U.S Department of Health and Human Services), toluene, ethylbenzene, xylenes, acetone, naphthalene and diesel-range organics (DRO), or solvent-extractable organic compounds commonly found in diesel fuel.“

Friends, this is serious. Seriously not good for the oil and gas industry that is. We have fractured wells since the 1950′s with no record of ground water being contaminated with the frack chemicals. We hear it over and over again “99% of the material pressurized during fracturing is water and gas”– and it’s true!! The chemicals that are used are for helping to make the fractures and to gel the water and sand mixture. I do not know the specifics behind this alleged contamination but I do know this particular area of Wyoming has been scrutinized for a long time.

This article provided by:
www.thebakken.net
www.shaleoilresource.com
spud

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2011

Judged:

The DEP is on the take. Big money rules. Disband the DEP.
Shekid

Union Dale, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2011

Judged:

These companies are NOT going away so I do NOT understand if their water is so bad and they can NOT drink it WHY would they NOT leave Cabot put the filter systems on so their water WOULD be good again??? I know....MONEY!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Cabot Oil and Gas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cabot Oil & Gas to Buy East Texas Assets; Bossi... (Jul '08) Aug 19 John Bienek 11
Dimock Water Situation Follow Up (Dec '11) Jan '13 bigdoc 4
Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation Announces Major Lea... (Feb '12) Mar '12 paul shykora 4
Cabot Oil & Gas (COG) Shares Downgraded by Simm... (Feb '12) Feb '12 jcsal 1
Cabot CEO: EPA investigation of Dimock a waste (Jan '12) Jan '12 Dwight Baker 1
Water delivered to Pa. village with tainted wells (Jan '12) Jan '12 Dwight Baker 1
Cabot Oil & Gas (COG) Given "Neutral" Rating by... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Dwight Baker 1

Search the Cabot Oil and Gas Forum:
•••