Letter to the Editor: Chance to influ...

Letter to the Editor: Chance to influence gas drilling regs

There are 14 comments on the Public Opinion story from Aug 4, 2010, titled Letter to the Editor: Chance to influence gas drilling regs. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

The rush to drill for natural gas in the Marcellus Shale Region has polluted the drinking water of too many Pennsylvanians.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

Front row seat

Elizabethtown, PA

#1 Aug 4, 2010
"The ALLEGED culprit was nearby gas drilling by Cabot Oil and Gas..."

Nothing's been proven.

You want energy this is the price you pay. Not all of our natural energy resources are located in 3rd world countries, so we'll get to see some of the consequences up close and personal as time goes by.

Drill baby drill!
Dave

Newville, PA

#2 Aug 4, 2010
Front row seat wrote:
Nothing's been proven.
You want energy this is the price you pay. Not all of our natural energy resources are located in 3rd world countries, so we'll get to see some of the consequences up close and personal as time goes by.
Drill baby drill!
1)If it is methane, how can you prove it? If it wasn't there before the drill, but is there now and we know that drilling can cause it, I think it is proof enough.

2) Even if the well is polluted with fracking fluids, you can't always prove it because Cheney gave the drilling companies cover by exempting the drilling companies from divulging the chemicals they use.

Our groundwater is a more important resource than natural gas. The DEP MUST do more to protect it.

If the drilling companies are going to hide from their responsibility, then there should be a across the board fee to build a fund to clean up the disasters thy will create.
Disgust

Chambersburg, PA

#3 Aug 4, 2010
Check out the Documentry Gasland on HBO. Heart breaking stuff, especially the people that can light their tap water on fire. Very scary indeed!
Grumpy

Shermans Dale, PA

#4 Aug 4, 2010
Heck on USS Coral Sea we used to be able to light the potable water on fire. Didn't taste very good and made lousy coffee but it was good enough for the boys in blue.
JON

Harrison, AR

#5 Aug 4, 2010
I told you people of Chbg. the commissioners are going to do what ever THEY want about a new court house!!! They have hired a designer,and they are toing forward!! You people have NO BACK BONE!!!All you people do is bitch and do NOTHING!!!! So pay your outrages taxes and SHUT UP!!!!!!
NU Kiss05

New York, NY

#6 Aug 4, 2010
JON wrote:
I told you people of Chbg. the commissioners are going to do what ever THEY want about a new court house!!! They have hired a designer,and they are toing forward!! You people have NO BACK BONE!!!All you people do is **** and do NOTHING!!!! So pay your outrages taxes and SHUT UP!!!!!!
What does this have to do with the gas drilling??
And they are still investigating the fracking run off into drinking water- nothing substantial yet that shows it is harmful. I love how everyone jumps on a cause and dont know the full extent of what they are reading.
Just saying

Mansfield, OH

#7 Aug 4, 2010
Grumpy wrote:
Heck on USS Coral Sea we used to be able to light the potable water on fire. Didn't taste very good and made lousy coffee but it was good enough for the boys in blue.
Actually, it WASN'T good enough for the "boys in blue", but that's what they gave you, so you swallowed it. Hook, line and sinker.

Wow, when YOU got indoctrinated, it was whole hog, eh???
denial

Fairless Hills, PA

#8 Aug 4, 2010
Front row seat wrote:
Nothing's been proven.
Drill baby drill!
Yeah, water wells just blow up all the time. Why don't you visit the gulf area and say drill baby drill. I'm sure they will treat you real nice.
Mirror Man

Shippensburg, PA

#9 Aug 4, 2010
denial wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, water wells just blow up all the time. Why don't you visit the gulf area and say drill baby drill. I'm sure they will treat you real nice.
Methane gas in well water is nothing new to residents of western Pa. Been that way for years after coal mining in the 50's 60's and 70's!

It's just making the media this time! Boo Hoo! Save the whales, shoot the spotted owl, but kill that evil rattle snake! LOL

Coal bed methane is being extracted with water in western Pa. for over 15 years now. Wells all over my relatives property. Nothing dangerous, nothing new.

Regulate the drilling companies,,, tax the guts out of them and use that money to put Pennsylvania back on the map! Drill Baby Drill!
Disgust

Chambersburg, PA

#10 Aug 5, 2010
Mirror Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Methane gas in well water is nothing new to residents of western Pa. Been that way for years after coal mining in the 50's 60's and 70's!
It's just making the media this time! Boo Hoo! Save the whales, shoot the spotted owl, but kill that evil rattle snake! LOL
Coal bed methane is being extracted with water in western Pa. for over 15 years now. Wells all over my relatives property. Nothing dangerous, nothing new.
Regulate the drilling companies,,, tax the guts out of them and use that money to put Pennsylvania back on the map! Drill Baby Drill!
And what will you drink when the water supply is tainted, and undrinkable? Beer?
Blah

Chambersburg, PA

#11 Aug 5, 2010
First we settled the state and logged the hardwood forest..clearcut no less. Then we stripmined the coal. Now we destroy the forest building roads to drill baby drill, pollute the ground water to drill baby drill. Oil companies will get rich and leave the mess for the citizens (or state) to clean up. WRONG

If the gas companies are making the profit, to obtain drilling rights they must be required to pay for remediation. They must be monitoreed to ensure they don't pollute.

What is the purpose of the state agencies if not to protect our resources? Require the companires to use the best available technology to safeguard the environment...not make a fast buck at our expense.
Blah

Chambersburg, PA

#12 Aug 5, 2010
Oh yeah, they should also pay a severence tax for the oil extracted...help balance the budget and pay for the personnel to make sure they operate IAW the law.
LIL JOHN

Landisburg, PA

#13 Aug 5, 2010
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
1)If it is methane, how can you prove it? If it wasn't there before the drill, but is there now and we know that drilling can cause it, I think it is proof enough.
2) Even if the well is polluted with fracking fluids, you can't always prove it because Cheney gave the drilling companies cover by exempting the drilling companies from divulging the chemicals they use.
Our groundwater is a more important resource than natural gas. The DEP MUST do more to protect it.
If the drilling companies are going to hide from their responsibility, then there should be a across the board fee to build a fund to clean up the disasters thy will create.
Reading your continued objections to any source of fossil fuels , I wonder what your so called company deals in !

Dried cow chips or what?
Dave

Newville, PA

#14 Aug 5, 2010
LIL JOHN wrote:
<quoted text>
Reading your continued objections to any source of fossil fuels , I wonder what your so called company deals in !
Dried cow chips or what?
Burning dry cow chips would add to greenhouse gases & takeaway your source of thought.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cabot Oil and Gas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
wv assets for sale (Jul '11) Jul '17 Dude2 2
News Cabot Oil & Gas to Buy East Texas Assets; Bossi... (Jul '08) Aug '14 Bryan 12
News Dimock Water Situation Follow Up (Dec '11) Jan '13 bigdoc 4
News Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation Announces Major Lea... (Feb '12) Mar '12 paul shykora 4
News Cabot Oil & Gas (COG) Shares Downgraded by Simm... (Feb '12) Feb '12 jcsal 1
News Cabot CEO: EPA investigation of Dimock a waste (Jan '12) Jan '12 Dwight Baker 1
News Water delivered to Pa. village with tainted wells (Jan '12) Jan '12 Dwight Baker 1
More from around the web