Storm Update: Cleco says Gustav outa...

Storm Update: Cleco says Gustav outages exceed those from Lili, Katrina or Rita

There are 7 comments on the The Daily Advertiser story from Sep 4, 2008, titled Storm Update: Cleco says Gustav outages exceed those from Lili, Katrina or Rita. In it, The Daily Advertiser reports that:

Cleco has restored power to more than 50 percent, or 129,529 of its customers who lost power after Hurricane Gustav made landfall early Monday, the company said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Daily Advertiser.

Geni

United States

#1 Sep 4, 2008
Although it's Thursday and my power is still out and we don't know when it will be restored, I would like to say I appreciate all the crews working on getting power back on. So many think it should be done the day it went out but what they don't understand is that things like this take time and not everything is in the "microwave stage." Maybe some of the customers should get out there and try what you do for one day. Then maybe their tune will change. Again, Thanx to you all.
Watt

Pelican, LA

#2 Sep 4, 2008
Thanks Geni,
Most people think its a matter of flipping a switch. Try replacing electrical poles and stringing lines, it doesn't happen quickly.
whatif

Natchitoches, LA

#3 Sep 4, 2008
What, maybe if Valley would do a little preventive work, like cutting limbs away from lines, there may not be so much work to do after a wind. Sorry I am not applauding Valley electric!
The way it is

Pelican, LA

#4 Sep 4, 2008
Valley Electric will never be a "real utility company" until they sell out to an Entergy or Cleco. There is no way that they can raise enough revenue to operate the way they should because there are too few customers per circuit mile. Only a large utility has the resources to properly run the system.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#5 Sep 4, 2008
The way it is wrote:
Valley Electric will never be a "real utility company" until they sell out to an Entergy or Cleco. There is no way that they can raise enough revenue to operate the way they should because there are too few customers per circuit mile. Only a large utility has the resources to properly run the system.
In my experience as a consumer, the larger the company the poorer the customer service. A good example is the difference between cp-tel and ATT as Internet service providers (a utility). Compare Kaffie-Frederick's and Wal-Mart.

Certainly a company has to be viable, but a bigger company is not tantamount to better customer service.
Watt

Pelican, LA

#6 Sep 4, 2008
Do you want a sweet voice to assure you the lights will be on in record time or do you want a big company with man power and equipment?

“Expect Excellence”

Since: Mar 08

Pelican, LA

#8 Sep 7, 2008
BigSean wrote:
<quoted text>
In my experience as a consumer, the larger the company the poorer the customer service. A good example is the difference between cp-tel and ATT as Internet service providers (a utility). Compare Kaffie-Frederick's and Wal-Mart.
Certainly a company has to be viable, but a bigger company is not tantamount to better customer service.
BigSean, the problem with your argument is that you are comparing apples to oranges. I agree that the CP-Tel and AT&T comparison is correct BUT TWII was talking about keeping the lights on not running a phone/internet/cable service.

To the other poster that didn't want a Cleco or Entergy, running a generator is still more expensive per kWhr than using their service. The only reason that Valley is less expensive is due to the government subsidized loans that the REA provides and the bankruptcy that CAJUN/LAGEN went through years ago. The outlook for your electric service to stay lower than Cleco is not bright. Increased fuel costs are going to drive Valley's cost up further. Heck I remember a time in the late 80's and early 90's that Valley's energy costs was around 11 cents per kWhr compared to Cleco's and Entergy's being 8 cents. The only thing that Cleco and Entergy have on Valley is the number of people available to keep outage times low.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cleco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Building utilities to hold up better against hu... (Nov '08) Aug '16 Serratus Anterior 3
cleco (Oct '10) Oct '10 MrsFrancois 1
Restoration of Power (Sep '08) Sep '08 Larry Ward 1
Cleco (Jun '07) Jun '07 Ebeb 1
More from around the web