Canadian National Railway trains to d...

Canadian National Railway trains to debut on Elgin, Joliet & Ea...

There are 7 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 10, 2009, titled Canadian National Railway trains to debut on Elgin, Joliet & Ea.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The first two Canadian National Railway trains to be rerouted onto the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern rail line will arrive Tuesday, officials said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

JRR

Since: Jan 08

Central IL

#1 Mar 10, 2009
CN's first reroute over its newly-acquired EJ&E subsidiary indeed took place today. A southbound train entered the Chicago area near Mundelein at around daybreak and some six hours later, it was departing Matteson on its way toward central Illinois and points south. Later in the day, the first northbound train traveled in the other direction on this new routing.

This timing is fairly remarkable compared with typical transit times through Chicago where it's not unusual for freight trains to take one to three days to wend their way through congested routes and fight cross traffic at a number of closely-spaced rail junctions.

And this is just the beginning; today's debut isn't taking advantage of the improved track speeds and infrastructure improvements CN plans to make in the coming two years. In addition, today's first run had to "change ends" at Matteson, a time-consuming move that won't be necessary once the railroad builds a new direct connection.
My GGGeneration

Schaumburg, IL

#2 Mar 11, 2009
I looked up at the sky over the Barrington - Lake Zurich area this morning and much to my surprise, it was still up there. It hadn't fallen an inch, contrary to earlier reports from Karen Darch that it would fall to the ground if the CN was permitted to run its trains.
torgrot

Chicago, IL

#3 Mar 12, 2009
Sheesh, the southern suburbs have been dealing with trains forever. Yes they cut our communities in half, yes they are annoying. Barrington deal with it.
Bill-Elgin

Geneva, IL

#4 Mar 12, 2009
The politicians delivered for Barrington. As the NIMBY choir sang "NO government money for overpasses", the politicians listened. They have come through with NO money or earmarks for Barrington overpasses, exactly as requested by the NIMBYs. The mayor can stand up and proclaim how she has saved the federal government money, as our tax dollars go everywhere else to fund their projects, and employ their citizens. Barrington got just what they asked for.

“More human than human.”

Since: Jan 09

North Suburbs of Chicago

#5 Mar 12, 2009
my sacastic heart bleeds for all those inconvenienced by pre-existing being used for its intended purpose. I hope O'Hare doesn't decide to allow more airplanes to use their facilities as my sarcastic heart would just give out...
Voice of Common Sense

Frankfort, IL

#6 Mar 12, 2009
torgrot wrote:
Sheesh, the southern suburbs have been dealing with trains forever. Yes they cut our communities in half, yes they are annoying. Barrington deal with it.
You dumb ass. The railroad didn't cut your community in half. Your community developed around the railroad!!!
HAHAHA

Coaldale, Canada

#7 Mar 17, 2009
Voice of Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
You dumb ass. The railroad didn't cut your community in half. Your community developed around the railroad!!!
Here you go again. Dumd Ass. Have you looked in the mirror lately. I guess along with the death of the american dream goes freedom of speech. You should come up to Canada, have a beer, and mellow out!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canadian National Railway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News South Milton residents regrouping to oppose int... (Mar '15) Aug '17 Norbert of Norview 3
E. Hunter Harrison Earns $29,281 PER DAY !!! (C... (Feb '07) Jul '17 Not a Hunter fan 168
Let's hear from CN Employees (Mar '09) May '17 Dave 18
Spadina coach yard limited edition print (Apr '17) Apr '17 Joe 1
News The CNR viaduct in Port Hope, Ont. was built in... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Pierre Berton was... 1
Diversity is White Genocide (Nov '16) Mar '17 Thomas 2
News CSX to Hire Hunter Harrison as CEO (Mar '17) Mar '17 Thomas 1
More from around the web