Deadly Train Inferno 'Very Dangerous'

Deadly Train Inferno 'Very Dangerous'

There are 36 comments on the ABC News story from Jun 20, 2009, titled Deadly Train Inferno 'Very Dangerous'. In it, ABC News reports that:

Tank cars loaded with thousands of gallons of highly flammable ethanol exploded in flames as a freight train derailed, killing one person and forcing evacuations of hundreds of nearby homes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Shawn

Bloomingdale, IL

#21 Jun 22, 2009
I dont work FOR CN AND NEVER WILL. CC&P Plus THE I.C. according to my timetables from those year plus our track warrents stated during flood season those areas were under slow orders. I KNOW THE CN DOSNT FOLLOW THAT PRACTICE AND THEY SHOULD. You might as well be a sea captian than a engineer on that line know. LIKE I SAID COME OUT HERE TO THE NORTHWEST BURBS AND SEE THAT TRAIN GO THREW BLOOMINGDALE AND TELL ME IF YOU HAVE EVER SEEN A HERMONIC ROCK LIKE THAT. That line was pretty straight in the CC days, yes they had some flaws. I must have been trained the regional railroad way, I dont endanger my fellow employees NOR do i endanger the general public...Im not blaming the crew 100percent like your accusing me of doing. But yet at a grade crossing accident Both me and my engineer were in the process of being screwed by a lawsuite, LIKE i said after the tapes were pulled we were pretty much of the hook but still had to be present for court. Still all in all id rather try to explain to a trainmaster why im 10 to 15 minutes late than knowing that i derailed. Maybe i was trained differnt, i never worked for a class 1 just regional outfits, hell i remember taking 2 or 3 cars out on the main to a farmer who didnt have trucks and we helped him load the cars with his conveyer. I was trained by alot of old heads, and yes some past grade crossing accidents i have taking a lot of time off, and think, what could i have done differently, why did this happen and so on. next grade crossing you go over look out the window and remember, those people at the crossing have no clue what your carrying, your length, tonnage and what if...99 percent probably dont care neither. so you gotta look out for them...as for me being a lemon head hhhhhhmmmmmm tell you what if my crew was endager i would save them before myself and do the same in any circomstance railroad or not. Im very much anti CN. yeah alot of buisness are being effected is in Westchicago, crystal lake and so on. EJ&E guys are fearing for their jobs (which now is not a good time as i think you know), we were told by some prefessor of Chicago on how well this was going to boast the economy...YEAH BULL CR&%. Maybe im just used to what those CN tracks used to be THE CCP and how good they improved the line and then see CN beat it to hell. My mom knows nothing about railroading yet fears the CN even though were 4 miles or so away. Dont know what to tell you theres ten or more different storys out there and there all different MEDIA...Im sure the FRA will have the true answers...
CSX_Conductor wrote:
If its not in your orders/ec-1 form to run restricted speed there, then you get fired for delay of train, then what?
Like midwest said, you dumped on your fellow brothers just a tad bit to fast.
Of course we care someone died, but you are the one throwing people in YOUR craft under the bus with your lemonhead assumptions.
midwest rail

Saint Charles, IL

#22 Jun 22, 2009
Shawn in post #21 - im not blaming the crew 100 percent like youre accusing me of doing.
Shawn in post #4 - in short, the crew is largely at fault and should be included in any lawsuit.

Strip away the peripheral nonsense he spouts, and you are left with two conclusions.

A. Shawn IS blaming the crew.
B. Shawn has no idea what he's talking about.
Not a railroader

Omaha, NE

#23 Jun 22, 2009
CSX_Conductor wrote:
Well train cars do not hydroplane....as one article put out by the NTSB is trying to say....
Actually, the only place I saw that quote was in the newspaper quoting one of the witnesses.
I found the statement strange because the weight involved. I would love to see the physics calculations on how fast a train would have to be going for a full (or even empty) tank car to hydroplane.
Most likely the witness was trying to describe something that was outside his experience and did not know how to describe it.
CSX_Conductor

Springfield, MO

#24 Jun 23, 2009
This debate with Shawn is pointless. If he does indeed work for any railroad, it wont be for long.....especially if he is just running restricted speed when the mood strikes him....
ThrottleJockey

Morris, IL

#25 Jun 29, 2009
The crew is not to blame at all in these circumstances. I know both crew members personally. Both are marked up and working. Do you really think in a derailment of this magnitude that the crew members would still be working if the company could find fault/liability with the crew? With any class 1 railroad it all boils down to money and liability. If any liability could be placed on this crew they would be out of service and the scapegoats for this tragedy. The crew had just cleared a 25 mph permanent speed restriction that runs through the entire downtown area of Rockford. That is why they were accelerating. Not to mention with a 100 plus car train it is a decent grade uphill coming out of Rockford after crossing the Fox river...of course the engineer is going to be on the throttle. Did the crew have any restrictions placed on their train due to weather...NO. Shawn are we to believe that every time it rained you ran restricted speed? Gimme a break. No restrictions to your train and clear signals like they had...track speed or risk discipline for delaying the train. By the time the crew saw the washout, took action to bring the train to a consistent safe stop and notified the dispatcher the train already had went into emergency with tragic results. Shame on you Shawn for casting blame on someone and something you so obviously know nothing about with the exception of what you have read and your limited knowledge of the area. Remember innocent until proven guilty?? Get your facts straight before you start casting blame on others. It just shows your arrogance and ignorance.
CSX_Conductor

Springfield, MO

#26 Jun 29, 2009
Hey ya throttlejockey, think i know u from another website
CN ENGINEER

Memphis, TN

#27 Jun 30, 2009
Shawn is a idot he has all the answers so he thinks. Sounds like he is a shortline kinda guy trainmaster, mow, conductor, brakeman and even ceo probably dont pay union dues either. Fellow brothers were im from would have a blanket party for him!!!!
CSX_Conductor

Springfield, MO

#28 Jun 30, 2009
100% agreed CN ENGINEER
Bill-Elgin

Elgin, IL

#29 Jul 1, 2009
CSX_Conductor wrote:
CSX has its fair share of derailments, the management just has better liars than those on the CN.
Why not blame the CN for not putting out a slow order?
It might well be CN MANAGEMENTS fault in that they were warned by Sheriff's police of track wash out (ties hanging in mid air by the rails) 20 minutes before the derailment. CN management then failed to warn the train crew to stop the train! It appears the train crew did nothing wrong.
midwest rail

Saint Charles, IL

#30 Jul 1, 2009
Bill-Elgin wrote:
<quoted text>It might well be CN MANAGEMENTS fault in that they were warned by Sheriff's police of track wash out (ties hanging in mid air by the rails) 20 minutes before the derailment. CN management then failed to warn the train crew to stop the train! It appears the train crew did nothing wrong.
Bill, could you direct me to a way to verify that ? If indeed your timeline is correct, that is stunning neglect on CN's part - i cant imagine why they would jeopardize their own people and equipment like that, not to mention the horrific consequences of the aftermath.
Bill-Elgin

Elgin, IL

#31 Jul 1, 2009
midwest rail wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill, could you direct me to a way to verify that ? If indeed your timeline is correct, that is stunning neglect on CN's part - i cant imagine why they would jeopardize their own people and equipment like that, not to mention the horrific consequences of the aftermath.
http://wifr.com/home/headlines/49044281.html
Tammy

Joliet, IL

#32 Jul 3, 2009
How awful! I feel sad for the people killed and hurt and their families.
james

Macomb, IL

#33 Jul 9, 2009
Bill-Elgin wrote:
that is really messed up, I now unfortunately work for these people, they took us over , we didnt have a choice in the matter,it just proves that they dont give a shit about safety
Bill-Elgin

Elgin, IL

#34 Jul 9, 2009
james wrote:
<quoted text>that is really messed up, I now unfortunately work for these people, they took us over , we didnt have a choice in the matter,it just proves that they dont give a shit about safety
The ball did get dropped. I would hope that this was an honest human error MISTAKE at CN. A new employee forwarding a report to the track dept., thinking the track dept. would notify the operations dept. Meanwhile the track dept. thinks the operations was notified....? If however this occurred because some arrogant CN manager decided to not to halt train traffic because he did not want to incur the cost of lost revenue (unthinkable).....then that goes way beyond negligence and is more like reckless conduct.....almost reckless homicide! This accident negated the entire concept of 24 hour emergency call centers, 24/7/365 dispatch, and instant 2-way communication with the train crews. The police depended on CN to stop the train. If they had realized CN was not going to stop the train, they would have gone up the tracks and signaled the train themselves. Years back, that is exactly what would have been done. This is NOT normally needed today.
Sal

United States

#35 Jul 12, 2009
It will all come out in court. Heads will roll at CN, you can be sure of that.
CSX Engineer

Middletown, NY

#36 Jul 18, 2009
If the locals call the right phone number, notifications are usually within 5 minutes. The problem usually starts in the field if the locals call the wrong railroad or give the wrong location. We worked hard with locals here helping them read and identify the crossing info signs after a really stupid incident. There was a suicide off a river bridge. The locals called the wrong railroad who told them operations were finished for the night. A command post was then set up on our main. Imagine their surprise when I showed up with a 60mph train.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canadian National Railway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News South Milton residents regrouping to oppose int... Jun '15 liteone 2
News Trains hauling crude must slow down in urban ar... Apr '15 Milton residents ... 1
News Chamber breakfast meeting hears more details of... Apr '15 milton residents ... 1
News Why Canadian railway stocks may stop in their t... Apr '15 milton protest info 1
News CN plans intermodal logistics hub for greater T... Mar '15 Rita 1
News 5 key questions about CN rail's plans for Milton Mar '15 Rita 1
News Train delays: CN reports 50 blockages over 2-mo... (Apr '09) Mar '15 CN Milton intermodal 5
More from around the web