Barrington won't soon be ruled by ext...

Barrington won't soon be ruled by extra freight trains rolling by

There are 82 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 26, 2009, titled Barrington won't soon be ruled by extra freight trains rolling by. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Once the Canadian National Railway wraps up its contentious purchase of the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern rail line, it could still be years before some suburbs see additional freight trains rolling by.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Dan Rakow

Glen Ellyn, IL

#1 Jan 26, 2009
City Of West Chicago,IL must put CN Rail Fight loss behind them and now must move on and now concentrate on having Overpasses and Underpasses on Washington St. West Chicago's Busiest aertery and Ann St. Second Busiest and I also highly recemoned A Overpass and Underpass for Bicycles and Pedestrian too.
oneheartbeataway

Westchester, IL

#2 Jan 26, 2009
Dan Rakow wrote:
City Of West Chicago,IL must put CN Rail Fight loss behind them and now must move on and now concentrate on having Overpasses and Underpasses on Washington St. West Chicago's Busiest aertery and Ann St. Second Busiest and I also highly recemoned A Overpass and Underpass for Bicycles and Pedestrian too.
Too late. The rancor caused by local inept politicians will preclude any of the wishes stated to reach fruition.
Forty Mules

Robbins, IL

#3 Jan 26, 2009
Fat lady aint sung yet

Since: Nov 07

Detroit, MI

#4 Jan 26, 2009
Dan Rakow wrote:
Come on now guy...Do you really expect the CN to GIVE West Chicago ANYTHING AT ALL after all of the nonsense that has emanated from the antis over the past year?
Just think how much good all of the money that has been wasted (now in the lawyers pockets) in the smear campaign against the CN could accomplish towards reaching your goals, sad isn't it? Your leaders have SCREWED YOU OVER big time by not planning for the future, time to get real people and cut the silliness.
My GGGeneration

Schaumburg, IL

#5 Jan 26, 2009
railham wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on now guy...Do you really expect the CN to GIVE West Chicago ANYTHING AT ALL after all of the nonsense that has emanated from the antis over the past year?
Just think how much good all of the money that has been wasted (now in the lawyers pockets) in the smear campaign against the CN could accomplish towards reaching your goals, sad isn't it? Your leaders have SCREWED YOU OVER big time by not planning for the future, time to get real people and cut the silliness.
That would be WAY too sensible. My guess is they'll all join up with Barrington and waste even more time and money for no apparent reason.

Better they should just give it to me than some attorney that probably doesn't needs the cash. I would at least put the money to good use bolstering the economy.
done deal

United States

#6 Jan 26, 2009
effective saturday night at midnight, the deal is done. 2-1-09 begins a new chapter.
Red

Mount Prospect, IL

#7 Jan 26, 2009
Why are we so beholden to a Canadian railway company ? None of this is going to benefit the residents of NW Chicago just cause a traffic nightmare and potential life threatening waits for emergency response - not one underpass/bridge in NW suburbs for a company that stands to make millions
beagle

Canada

#8 Jan 26, 2009
Red wrote:
Why are we so beholden to a Canadian railway company ? None of this is going to benefit the residents of NW Chicago just cause a traffic nightmare and potential life threatening waits for emergency response - not one underpass/bridge in NW suburbs for a company that stands to make millions
Are you smarter than a 5th grader?

What country is the USA's largest export market?
Gosh darn--Canada--bigger than the next three markets for US products combined (Mexico, Japan, China, in that order.) total of $269 Billion dollars annually.

What country is Illinois largets export market?
Gosh darn--Canada--300,000 jobs in Illinois.

What US railroads (BNSF, UP, NS, CSX, KCS) actually service Canada?
Gosh darn--none.

Boring.

beagle
Not a Railroader

Omaha, NE

#9 Jan 26, 2009
Red wrote:
Ah, yes, the old CN is a foreign railroad argument again. Except if you look at the truth, CN is more than 50% owned by Americans. It also employs several thousand Americans to run its US operations. The CEO of CN (along with several other top officers) is an American. CN's stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange, as well as the Toronto Stock Exchange. True the company is headquartered in Canada, but it considering the above it is hard to claim that CN is a foreign railroad company. But because the name contains the word 'Canadian' they are instantly part of the evil empire out to destroy the USA.(if it wasn't so sad I would probably die from laughter when I hear the argument Red is using).
Not a Railroader

Omaha, NE

#10 Jan 26, 2009
beagle wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you smarter than a 5th grader?
What country is the USA's largest export market?
Gosh darn--Canada--bigger than the next three markets for US products combined (Mexico, Japan, China, in that order.) total of $269 Billion dollars annually.
What country is Illinois largets export market?
Gosh darn--Canada--300,000 jobs in Illinois.
What US railroads (BNSF, UP, NS, CSX, KCS) actually service Canada?
Gosh darn--none.
Boring.
beagle
Beagle,

A small correction. Actually, both BNSF and CSX have a small presence in Canada. I know that it doesn't amount to much, but it is there. Most US railroads concentrated on East-West traffic because that is where most of the freight was and still is.
Otherwise, I agree with what you say here.
SKP

Wartburg, TN

#11 Jan 27, 2009
Beagle and Not a Railroader,

I have to agree. Apparently everyone has forgotten that CN's US operations were the result of taking over the Illinois Central. Apparently if the company was still called IC everything would be okay.
SKP

Wartburg, TN

#12 Jan 27, 2009
The CN/IC issue was so ridiculous I had to say it twice.

JRR

Since: Jan 08

Central IL

#13 Jan 27, 2009
railham wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't claim to know CN's thinking, but I believe they are DONE with negotiating and DONE with handing out money beyond that which the STB required or that were laid out in voluntary agreements between CN and various communities.

CN negotiated these agreements because they wanted a particular outcome, wanted the support of many of the communities affected, and wanted to show a good faith effort to work with its neighbors to provide reasonable compensation for the effects of the deal. Around a dozen communities reached an agreement with CN before the transaction was approved by the STB.

With the deal already approved and having successfully withstood court review, why would (or should) CN now sit down with people who missed the year-long opportunity to come to agreement when the time was ripe?

Since: Nov 07

Detroit, MI

#14 Jan 27, 2009
JRR wrote:
<quoted text>I don't claim to know CN's thinking, but I believe they are DONE with negotiating and DONE with handing out money beyond that which the STB required or that were laid out in voluntary agreements between CN and various communities.
CN negotiated these agreements because they wanted a particular outcome, wanted the support of many of the communities affected, and wanted to show a good faith effort to work with its neighbors to provide reasonable compensation for the effects of the deal. Around a dozen communities reached an agreement with CN before the transaction was approved by the STB.
With the deal already approved and having successfully withstood court review, why would (or should) CN now sit down with people who missed the year-long opportunity to come to agreement when the time was ripe?
You are correct JR. If I had the time I could go back through countless old posts in which many of us recomended that these communities sit down at the table and negotiate with CN. The time to negotiate has passed, the deal is done. There is no logic in wasting yet more taxpayer dollars in a war with a corporation that has a a bottomless supply of company attorneys that are all experts in transportation law. If I were a taxpayer from barrington, I would run the town's leaders out on a rail,(pun intended), they have failed to lead.
The table has been set, the meal has been devoured and the dishes are washed. No supper for late comers, the kitchen is closed.
Wondering

Chicago, IL

#15 Jan 27, 2009
done deal wrote:
effective saturday night at midnight, the deal is done. 2-1-09 begins a new chapter.
Hey, Done Deal, are you sure? What else do you know, and how do you know this?
Voice of Common Sense

Palos Heights, IL

#16 Jan 27, 2009
Trust me, he is right. Feb 1st is when it's going to happen, I'd almost bet my life on it.
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Done Deal, are you sure? What else do you know, and how do you know this?
My GGGeneration

Schaumburg, IL

#17 Jan 28, 2009
JRR wrote:
<quoted text>I don't claim to know CN's thinking, but I believe they are DONE with negotiating and DONE with handing out money beyond that which the STB required or that were laid out in voluntary agreements between CN and various communities.
100% correct. And just to add, why would the CN toss around millions in a very tough international economy if they didn't have to? I know that if it were me running the CN, I sure wouldn't.
My GGGeneration

Schaumburg, IL

#18 Jan 28, 2009
Voice of Common Sense wrote:
Trust me, he is right. Feb 1st is when it's going to happen, I'd almost bet my life on it.
<quoted text>
I'd bet your life on it too. <G>
My GGGeneration

Schaumburg, IL

#19 Jan 28, 2009
Well said beagle. Here are some impressive numbers:

Canadian Exports to U.S.

Of the $303.4 billion in American imports from Canada in 2006, the following product categories had the highest values.

Petroleum products …US$63.7 billion (21% of Canada to U.S. exports, up 6% from 2005)
Passenger cars …$36.6 billion (12.5%, up 1.5%)
Car parts & accessories …$15.6 billion (5.1%, down 2.5%)
Complete & assembled cars …$12.2 billion (4%, down 2.3%)
Aluminum …$7.7 billion (2.5%, up 36.1%)
Lumber …$6.6 billion (2.2%, down 8.9%)
Finishing materials (e.g. shingles, wallboard)…$5.9 billion (2.0%, down 10.7%)
Plastics …$5.8 billion (1.9%, up 7.9%)
Telecommunications …$4 billion (1.3%, down 0.7%)
Engines & parts …$3.98 billion (1.3%, down 8.6%)
Fastest-Growing Canadian Exports to U.S.

Below are American imports from Canada in 2006 with the highest percentage sales increases from 2005.

Sugar … US$43.4 million (up 130.4% from 2005)
Zinc …$1.4 billion (up 122.2%)
Precious metals …$685.9 million (up 72.4%)
Oil field drilling equipment …$1.0 billion (up 65.6%)
Copper …$2.0 billion (up 51.1%)
Medicinal, dental & pharmaceutical preparations …$3.5 billion (up 43.5%)
Nickel …$1.2 billion (up 38.9%)
Canadian Imports from U.S.

Of the $230.3 billion in American exports to Canada in 2006, the following product categories had the highest values.

Vehicle parts & accessories … US$23.6 billion (10.3% of Canada from U.S. imports, down 1.5% from 2005)
Passenger cars …$13.1 billion (5.7%, up 8.1%)
Trucks, buses & special purpose vehicles …$11.8 billion (5.1%, up 16.6%)
Industrial machines …$7.5 billion (3.2%, up 9.4%)
Engines & parts …$6.4 billion (2.8%, up 3.3%)
Plastics …$6.3 billion (2.7%, up 5.9%)
Electric apparatus …$5.7 billion (2.5%, up 11.2%)
Computer accessories …$5.2 billion (2.3%, down 5.9%)
Industrial engines …$4.7 billion (2.0%, up 2.9%)
Iron & steel mill products …$4.3 billion (1.9%, up 7.2%)
Fastest-Growing Canadian Imports from U.S.

Below are American exports to Canada in 2006 with the highest percentage sales increases from 2005.

Copper … US$1.1 billion (up 122.6% from 2005)
Gold …$1.2 billion (up 108.8%)
Natural gas liquids …$693 million (up 94.7%)
Nuclear fuels materials …$75.8 million (up 62.8%)
Specialized mining …$163.8 million (up 58.4%)
Non-ferrous metals …$871.5 million (up 57.7%)
Precious metals …$647.2 million (up 50.2%)
Sources for this Article
This represents independent calculations and insights based on data drawn from the CIA World Factbook and the U.S. Census Bureau – Foreign Trade Statistics.
No to CN

Buffalo Grove, IL

#20 Jan 28, 2009
That $100 mil pittance is going to fall FAR short of what is needed to accommodate this private business, which will use taxpayer money to further accommodate the corporation rather than the taxpayers who are not only paying for "improvements" necessitated by this private business, but are inconvenienced by their operations as well.

The money is an empty gesture. Not that it matters since the public had absolutely no say in the matter (and stupid public hearings at 2pm on a Tuesday afternoon don't count either) considering that the consumers can't speak against this with their wallets either. The government failed the people, once again, deferring to corporate interests instead.

And now those fools that bought the bill of goods that their train traffic will be lessened are finding out that they too bought a line of crap.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canadian National Railway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News South Milton residents regrouping to oppose int... (Mar '15) Aug 8 Norbert of Norview 3
E. Hunter Harrison Earns $29,281 PER DAY !!! (C... (Feb '07) Jul '17 Not a Hunter fan 168
Let's hear from CN Employees (Mar '09) May '17 Dave 18
Spadina coach yard limited edition print Apr '17 Joe 1
News The CNR viaduct in Port Hope, Ont. was built in... Mar '17 Pierre Berton was... 1
Diversity is White Genocide (Nov '16) Mar '17 Thomas 2
News CSX to Hire Hunter Harrison as CEO Mar '17 Thomas 1
More from around the web