Gyms agree to deal

Gyms agree to deal

There are 18 comments on the InYork story from Jun 12, 2008, titled Gyms agree to deal. In it, InYork reports that:

Members of Leader Health and Fitness in York Township who signed month-to-month membership agreements for up to 12 months are now members of The Athletic Club of York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at InYork.

The Law

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Jun 12, 2008
So, now that the AG is investigating the Leader owners, they have finally decided to "do the right thing." They could have done that from the start, and perhaps avoided all the anger.

I'm very glad to hear the AG will continue the investigation of the corrupt and fraudulent business practices at Leader. It is just plane wrong that the owners took hard-earned money from customers just last weekend, money those people needed for child care and pool memberships that many of them now can't afford. Now, Leader gets to hold their money, interest free, for 60 days until they can settle their sweet deal with WellSpan? AND then WellSpan plans to let the property, the gym, and the pool sit and rot for the foreseeable future. What a great use of economic resources during a recession. Thanks, WellSpan, for another great contribution to the welfare of our community. Glad you could put those not-for-profit, tax-free dollars of yours to such charitable use.
another angry yorker

York, PA

#2 Jun 12, 2008
and now you know how the rich get richer....on the backs of hard working bill paying fitness loving pool going middle class america.

one of the owners of The Athletic Club said they are NOT taking over the memberships, but the paper said if you don't call and cancel we will still be billed our monthly fee.....for what may i ask? will someone get their story straight!
Read the Other Articles

Mechanicsburg, PA

#3 Jun 12, 2008
Only certain memberships are not able to be taken over- they are taking over memberships that are legal because they already made that deal-so long term 2 year contracts or those less than 30 days old are not picked up by ACY. All others pretty much are. There is another article that explains it.
Letters

Malvern, PA

#4 Jun 12, 2008
another angry yorker wrote:
and now you know how the rich get richer....on the backs of hard working bill paying fitness loving pool going middle class america.
one of the owners of The Athletic Club said they are NOT taking over the memberships, but the paper said if you don't call and cancel we will still be billed our monthly fee.....for what may i ask? will someone get their story straight!
If your contract is less than 12 months and goes to ACY, you just cancel it with them. It said right in the article that you can cancel with no strings attached (in other words, no cancellation fee) and you will not be billed again. So as I see it, these people are the lucky ones. They get to deal with the inconvenience of cancelling with ACY and be done with it. The unfortunate ones are the people who paid for memberships, personal training, pool, and summer camp... we're out hundreds, even thousands for some, of dollars - and now we just sit patiently and wait? Until the owners are financially comfortable with their property sale so that they can give us a refund? They just took the lump sums of money for pool and summer camp within weeks! Where is that money now and why can't they at least refund those people in a timely manner?
lost

United States

#5 Jun 12, 2008
just go to LA Fitness it is 1000 times better!
Hate LA

Mechanicsburg, PA

#6 Jun 12, 2008
Sure go to LA- if you like pushy salesmans and muscleheads everywhere- no thanks! I will stick with the family gym. Leader went down, but thats rare- otherwise it wouldn't be a front page story. There are other great gyms that care about people not QUOTAS...Im following the employees- they made leader a home.
I LUV ACLU

United States

#7 Jun 12, 2008
Good job Travis!!
Remember to ask

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Jun 12, 2008
Remember to ask LAF & ACY about their clause if they decide to close the gym for whatever reason... you don't want this happening again!!
Former member

York, PA

#9 Jun 12, 2008
Even though I am capable of cancelling with no strings attached I have contacted the AG's office and I think we should all get together and file a class-action lawsuit against Menges, Ferris and any other co-owner. Let't include Tran also - she has no soul. I would like nothing better than to bleed these people to financial death. Even if they end up with 2 nickels to rub together that's too much.
Sad Former Member

AOL

#10 Jun 12, 2008
I'm so sad Leader went the way it did. We belonged almost from the day it opened, and while there were occasional problems with equipment and upkeep, we loved it. Leader had everything we wanted, wasn't crowded at all, was bright and pleasant. The desk staff were some of the friendliest and most helpful people you'd ever want to meet. The personal trainers and instructors made you want to be there, and were personable and available to be of any assistance. We made some real friends there, and i'm sorry it can't go on. My sympathies to the staff, who no longer have jobs, and put their hearts into Leader. They're the ones who made it great. My sympathies also to the folks who lost so much, whether money or child care or a fun summer at a great pool. The owners should be ashamed. It's too bad that something couldn't have been worked out so that memberships could have continued at least until summer camp was over, and the pool closed for the season. It still would have been sad to see them close, but at least we wouldn't have felt (been) ripped off.
LA Member

Lancaster, PA

#11 Jun 12, 2008
"He expects a maximum of 500 to 600 people will come over from Leader and stay. The 1,600-member Athletic Club can handle those numbers, he said."

This quote if from the owner of ACY. Go there at 5-6 p.m.- you won't in anyway be able to use a piece of equipment. This facility is small (the free weight area specifically) and poorly lit.

Quite honestly, there is NO facility in this town that is above quality standards. If you have a 9-5 job...they are all crowded beyond belief.

Good luck to those that need to find a gym.
LA Isnt Grand

Mechanicsburg, PA

#12 Jun 12, 2008
I see a lot of LA Fitness "members" Just remember folks- there is a reason so many are popping up- the are the wal mart of gyms...All they are after is SALES! They get big bonuses when you sign up- so they will tell you anything you want to hear. The only difference between owners at leader and LA is LA is slicker when they screw you over. Frankly it angers me that gyms are shoving "come here" "no here" Not There!" Stuff. They are leaches.
City living

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Jun 12, 2008
This is why I joined Golds- I don't have to worry about this crap:)
Mad

Lancaster, PA

#14 Jun 12, 2008
I just talked to Ashley from the billing company, and she said that sometime next week, Leader's is suppose to be sending a letter with information on cancelling, refunds, etc and if it applies. This is coming from Leader & NOT from the billing company. Wonder how all that will go over. Will be surprised if we get a letter, and then will be surprised if things are handled appropriately. LOL....
Peeved

United States

#15 Jun 12, 2008
Yeah really. I dont expect a letter from LHF saying any such thing. Especially since I still didnt get a letter in the mail announcing the gym shut down.(supposedly we were mailed some...)

So if it wasnt for me stopping by the gym to pick it up then I would've been oblivious to the contents of the letter.

How professional. How competent.
Jamie

New Cumberland, PA

#16 Jun 12, 2008
Maybe the states AG should investigate the gouging going on by the oil companies and gas stations around the state. Oh, I forgot, they're in bed together.
tarheel80

Mount Laurel, NJ

#17 Jun 13, 2008
Mad wrote:
I just talked to Ashley from the billing company, and she said that sometime next week, Leader's is suppose to be sending a letter with information on cancelling, refunds, etc and if it applies. This is coming from Leader & NOT from the billing company. Wonder how all that will go over. Will be surprised if we get a letter, and then will be surprised if things are handled appropriately. LOL....
Since I am still waiting for the promised letter explaining that the gym has closed, I will wait eagerly for the surely-to-be-timely letter and refund from Leader regarding my long-term membership. I will be very surprised if another automatic debit (for those of us who have not cancelled them through our banks and CC companies) does not happen in July while they drag out the process.
Disappointed

Felton, PA

#18 Jun 13, 2008
I'm so disappointed in the closing of LHF. I grew up going to the Wynfield Club, then York Township Club,and most recently Leader Health & Fitness. I agree they all had their problems, but all in all they were fun places to play, meet friends, and have fun while being able to maintain our health. Now the biggest healthcare group in York will demolish one of the only & largest "playgrounds" in York Township so they can build more office space. It's no wonder our kids are forced to play video games, dream up violence, and become obese. Wellspan the best thing you could do to make this community happy after all this bitterness is to reopen the facility as a healthclub for your employees and the community. What better way for doctors and nurses to function! Let's look for a healthy future for York County... Meanwhile I nearly get sick each time I drive by the beautiful pool sitting there empty! What a crime!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

CheckFree Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Entertainment site SneakySunday.com hits 80 mar... (Oct '08) Oct '08 rob 1
News Fiserv's CheckFree to let consumers scan, depos... (Feb '08) Feb '08 RBD 2
News December 4th Merger Arbitrage Activity (Jan '08) Jan '08 Chris Noyes 1
News Mattel Says It's Sorry -- Courant.com (Aug '07) Aug '07 infrontofyou 3
More from around the web