Man jailed when daughter fails to get diploma

There are 20 comments on the May 13, 2008, TwinCities.com story titled Man jailed when daughter fails to get diploma. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A man ordered by a judge to make sure his daughter hit the books has found himself in jail because she failed to earn a high school equivalency diploma.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Billy

Saint Paul, MN

#2 May 13, 2008
Let's put everyone in jail.

Welcome to 1984 people

“Karaoke & DJ”

Since: Feb 08

Rosemount, MN

#3 May 13, 2008
There's always someone else to blame. Brittany needs to be held accountable for her own actions as well.

Although, it sounds to me like she'd have benefitted from a good old fashioned spanking. However, children are learning all they need to do is goto school and scream abuse.

The system needs to stop pandering to the children and actually help to hold them accountable. The problem is that the schools interfere in the parenting as far as what's allowed and what's not and then they accuse the parents (whose hands they've tied) of not doing their part.
Clean-Up Hitter

Plainview, TX

#4 May 13, 2008
What are we going to do with the high school graduates in Texas who, when they do graduate, cannot read their diplomas? I say put the teachers in jail.
highland guy

Saint Paul, MN

#5 May 13, 2008
The Nanny state is alive and well!

DFW Metroplex

#6 May 13, 2008
Okay, but what kind of message does this send to the kid? That it's not her fault?

They should BOTH get the consequences.
Dissident

Gig Harbor, WA

#7 May 13, 2008
...another case of a man paying the price for a woman's poor behavior.

The woman was 18...aren't there any feminists out there that are outraged that this woman is being treated like a child? She's being denied her free choice to be uneducated...where's the outrage, girls?(nothing but the sound of crickets.....)
Julie

Saint Paul, MN

#8 May 13, 2008
Female here...

She's 18, has a kid of her own, doesn't even live with dad. Why is he the one in jail? If anything she should be the one serving time. She's the one who's sorry a$$ is going to be on welfare. If this was a kid under 16 (girl or boy), then I could see maybe sending the CUSTODIAL parent to jail for a night or two so the message sinks in.

“Get over yourself...”

Since: Jan 08

You're not that important

#10 May 13, 2008
As someone who works for the schools, and a parent, I just have to add my two cents.
First, it is the job of the parents to make sure their children are in school. It is also up to the school to report student absences. The district I work in does not have a truancy department to speak of. Parents are supposed to be served with papers to appear in court after too many absences. They can be subject to jail time. But, when the schools spend all the time documenting, sending letters, jumping through all the hoops, absolutely nothing happens. I can not tell how many times we have had truancy problems only to have the parent/grandparent/guardian come to school and yell at us for not making sure their precious child stayed in school and got an education. Parents aren't allowed to dicipline their kids, schools aren't allowed to do anything, either. So, everyone blames everyone else and the kids suffer. NCLB is a farce and is to blame for most of these problems. We need to get back to teaching those who want to learn and letting the others, and their parents, suffer the consequences.

“Karaoke & DJ”

Rosemount, MN

#11 May 13, 2008
Fed up:

You're right. NCLB is a crock. Most people recognized it for what it was when it was passed. A piece of feel good legislation which, when pushed comes to shove does absolutely nothing but provide a sticky quagmire in which to get stuck when things aren't working out.

The thing is, we need more accountability for the results of parenting and less interference into the means. Short of bruises and actually hauling off and truly beating the children, the state and federal governments need to back out. Time outs just don't work unless there's a threat of another step beyond it.

Note, I'm all for trying to find a way without spanking, but when you hit the time out stage or you've taken away everything they own... Then what? If there's no threat of corporal punishment, they still run wild on you!

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#12 May 13, 2008
Old saying: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

I'm sure her parents are no prizes themselves, but parents can only do so much. The girl even admits it was her fault.

Teachers fault? does anybody remember High School? I do, and I also remember the kids that had no plans on learning and were only distractions to the others trying to learn.

The girl is an adult, she can fend for herself.

“Get over yourself...”

Since: Jan 08

You're not that important

#13 May 13, 2008
Thomas F wrote:
Fed up:
You're right. NCLB is a crock. Most people recognized it for what it was when it was passed. A piece of feel good legislation which, when pushed comes to shove does absolutely nothing but provide a sticky quagmire in which to get stuck when things aren't working out.
The thing is, we need more accountability for the results of parenting and less interference into the means. Short of bruises and actually hauling off and truly beating the children, the state and federal governments need to back out. Time outs just don't work unless there's a threat of another step beyond it.
Note, I'm all for trying to find a way without spanking, but when you hit the time out stage or you've taken away everything they own... Then what? If there's no threat of corporal punishment, they still run wild on you!
Thanks. I agree. BTW, I spanked my kids when they were little. Didn't beat them, but didn't do the whole time out crap. They learned how to behave properly. They also know I will still spank them if I need to, which is very embarrassing considering they are teenagers. But, it keeps them on their toes. If all I ever did was put them on a naughty chair and try to reason with them, they would be impossible.
Dissident

Gig Harbor, WA

#14 May 13, 2008
Most of you are missing the point...she was 18 and an adult! She has the right to as she please. IOt's hilarious that in Santa Cruz, of all places you need to reminded of that. we have people who fight for people to have the right to heroin needles, homelessness,etc....but we fail to recognize this woman was just following her free choice to accept or reject whatever education she chooses.

...and a man will be responsible for whatever poor choice she makes. If she makes a positive change in her life, do you think they would praise the father? Hell no, she would then receive the highly revered "empowered woman" status.

I realize 'choice' is a political buzzword of convenience for liberals, but if they could manage to muster up a little original thought and logic, you may be able to see through the fog.
Madman

Saint Paul, MN

#15 May 13, 2008
Julie wrote:
Female here...
She's 18, has a kid of her own, doesn't even live with dad. Why is he the one in jail? If anything she should be the one serving time. She's the one who's sorry a$$ is going to be on welfare. If this was a kid under 16 (girl or boy), then I could see maybe sending the CUSTODIAL parent to jail for a night or two so the message sinks in.
DAD here!

I agree 100% with your post. It is astonishing that the non-custodial parent in jailed for the behavior of a non-dependent adult.
Especially when the custodial mom is quoted as saying that when she took her daughter to school, the kid would simply leave by another door. Why is this defiant behavior EITHER parents' fault? Was the mom supposed to quit her job and literally hold her 18-YO child's hand and lead her from classroom to classroom? That would be an extreme case for kindergarten, but high school?

I have personal knowledge of the frustration of parenting a teenage girl. My daughter did not leave school, she simply didn't do any required work. No amount of talks, lectures, teacher meetings, pastor interventions, and threats of corporal punishment had any impact: her attitude was "I'm not gonna, and you can't make me!" She did manage to scrape by with summer school and graduate, but what a trip!! The heartbreak is that she is plenty smart, and could easily excel if she simply chose to do so. Now 19, she has a job and appears to be getting the basics of being responsible.

I mention this because I don't know what the heck I would have done if she had simply gone out the back door like the miscreant in the news story. I certainly didn't have the luxury of quitting my job so I could hands-on manage her life for 3 years! Sending me to jail for her offenses would not have served my other children very well!
Bob

Philadelphia, PA

#16 May 13, 2008
When corporal punishment was taken out of schools in the 60's, things have gone downhill ever since. Beating an education into a student doesn't work, but it did get the attention of the
disruptive students. Teachers had respect because the parents provided the same discipline at home, when they heard of their childs school indiscretions. Today, parents shove a lawsuit under administration/teachers noses when their child is verbally disciplined. Only gonna get worse. Live with it and above all, lay on more timeouts.

Since: Mar 08

Zimmerman, MN

#17 May 13, 2008
I am in my basement with my tin foil hat hiding from the Guberment.
Please, angry posters do not attack me for my position that the oppression from the Left to enforce some confused sense of "fairness", and the oppression from the Right, to keep us all "safe" is leading us to a Police State.
Ace

Santa Cruz, CA

#18 May 13, 2008
Mess with the Judge and get the teeth!
Stupid is as stupid does...
Ace

Santa Cruz, CA

#19 May 13, 2008
Bob wrote:
When corporal punishment was taken out of schools in the 60's, things have gone downhill ever since. Beating an education into a student doesn't work, but it did get the attention of the
disruptive students. Teachers had respect because the parents provided the same discipline at home, when they heard of their childs school indiscretions. Today, parents shove a lawsuit under administration/teachers noses when their child is verbally disciplined. Only gonna get worse. Live with it and above all, lay on more timeouts.
Funny you bring that up.
One of the infamous Columbine shooters was actually spanked at school the day before the massacre.
Kinda gives you pause, huh?
Ace

Santa Cruz, CA

#20 May 13, 2008
Julie wrote:
Female here...
Dad had sole legal custody and he is the person the Judge looked in the eye and made the deal with.
End of discussion.
The crime matters a lot less than defying a Judge's orders.
get a clue.

“Karaoke & DJ”

Rosemount, MN

#21 May 13, 2008
Bob wrote:
I do not agree with corporal punishment in the schools. This matter should be up to the parents and the parents should step forward and PARENT.

I've got some real mixed feelings on this whole thing. If the deal was made with the father, then he failed in his responsibility and allowed the girl to live with mom with no legal intervention into determining guardianship. This does not let him off the hook.

But at the same time... If she's walking into the school and walking out the back door. What do you do? Why were there no penalties for the daughter? You can't tell me that juvenile officers can't crack down on her.
gizer

Alamogordo, NM

#22 May 13, 2008
Bob wrote:
I agree..so true

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cincinnati Financial Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ohio cops hope video will aid probe of lamb hea... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Palestinian Guy 19
News Former Butler County judge faces drunken-drivin... (Jan '11) Jan '11 michael d 1
News Stores Need More Holiday Help | Ohio News Netwo... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Wally 1
News Dancer-welder's life is flashback to 'Flashdanc... (Nov '10) Nov '10 anon bae welder 2
News Ohio apartment blaze displaces 17 families | Th... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Melisa jessie 6
News More job cuts for BAE (Sep '10) Sep '10 Marty 5
News Investigators Make Big Food Stamp Bust (Aug '10) Aug '10 dont worry 1
More from around the web