Dump truck runs over worker, killing him | The Columbus Dispatch

Authorities say a man driving a dump truck struck and killed a construction worker near Cincinnati. Full Story
timmy

Campbell, OH

#1 Sep 26, 2010
Was the alarm working?Guess (osha) will have to investagate this. My prayers go out to Terry Garrison and family! What a shame and only a month to go before the season is over.

Since: Aug 10

Columbus, OH

#3 Sep 26, 2010
"An autopsy was conducted, but the results were not available yesterday."

Are there any legalize types, or medical types, out there that can explain why we are seeing autopsies done when the cause of death is obvious? Is it mandatory in certain situations? Required by unions?

I can understand why blood tests would be necessary for insurance and liability reasons. Is an autopsy required to get this?

Your input will help educate us.

Since: Dec 09

Columbus

#4 Sep 26, 2010
It's a shame that this happened and my thoughts are with the family.

I agree with Federalist that questions on an autopsy in a case like this should be raised. The cause of death is obvious and it doesn't seem necessary to put the family through this additional trauma.
Grove City Grump

United States

#5 Sep 26, 2010
According to the Ohio Revised Code,

(A) When any person dies as a result of criminal or other violent means, by casualty, by suicide, or in any suspicious or unusual manner, when any person, including a child under two years of age, dies suddenly when in apparent good health, or when any mentally retarded person or developmentally disabled person dies regardless of the circumstances, the physician called in attendance, or any member of an ambulance service, emergency squad, or law enforcement agency who obtains knowledge thereof arising from the personís duties, shall immediately notify the office of the coroner of the known facts concerning the time, place, manner, and circumstances of the death, and any other information that is required pursuant to sections 313.01 to 313.22 of the Revised Code.

Since the death might be determined to be some form of vehicular homicide, a formal autopsy may be in order. I believe the Coroner decides if an autopsy is necessary to determine whether the death was due to natural causes. Also, an autopsy may not mean the complete and total dissection we are used to seeing on tv and reading about in crime ficiton.
Retired Deputy

Chillicothe, OH

#6 Sep 26, 2010
Autopsies are required by law.
Prior to that law there were no doubt "suspicous" deaths that were ruled accidents or even nautral causes or even suicides by family doctors that held elected office as Coroner as a side job.
Only about 5 counties do own autopsies and rest contract with larger counties where there are trained pathologists doing the slicing and dicing.
Used to be a funeral director or even Bubba down at the corner gas station could run for Coroner.
Thankfully better laws changed that.
Topper

Marysville, OH

#7 Sep 26, 2010
Im_Here wrote:
It's a shame that this happened and my thoughts are with the family.
I agree with Federalist that questions on an autopsy in a case like this should be raised. The cause of death is obvious and it doesn't seem necessary to put the family through this additional trauma.
Did he die because the truck ran over him?? or did he have a massive heart attack and fall under the truck????
Healthy athletes die on playing fields from heart attacks...

It sure could make a difference for the truck driver....
Windy

Mansfield, OH

#8 Sep 26, 2010
Federalist wrote:
"An autopsy was conducted, but the results were not available yesterday."
Are there any legalize types, or medical types, out there that can explain why we are seeing autopsies done when the cause of death is obvious? Is it mandatory in certain situations? Required by unions?
I can understand why blood tests would be necessary for insurance and liability reasons. Is an autopsy required to get this?
Your input will help educate us.
I have to agree with the autopsy, no reason at all.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family.
Retired Deputy

Chillicothe, OH

#9 Sep 26, 2010
Autopsy ? You idiots watch too much CSI and Bones etc. One can be conducted without any cutting etc.
if cause of death is obvious and an accident and there are witnesses to incident etc. Only reason there ever is slicing and dicing is a murder to rule out other causes and if there is not an obvious cause of death that Coroner can sign off on.
There is alwsy a reason for an autopsy but the real world version not what people here are dumb enuf to think one is. I have witnessed all levels of work done at Coroners office and at times body leaves morgue in same uncut condition it arrived in. Sometimes in rural counties body goes to funeral home and never to morgue where an exam is done and photos taken.
MVP

Grove City, OH

#10 Sep 26, 2010
Retired Deputy wrote:
Autopsy ? You idiots watch too much CSI and Bones etc. One can be conducted without any cutting etc.
if cause of death is obvious and an accident and there are witnesses to incident etc. Only reason there ever is slicing and dicing is a murder to rule out other causes and if there is not an obvious cause of death that Coroner can sign off on.
There is alwsy a reason for an autopsy but the real world version not what people here are dumb enuf to think one is. I have witnessed all levels of work done at Coroners office and at times body leaves morgue in same uncut condition it arrived in. Sometimes in rural counties body goes to funeral home and never to morgue where an exam is done and photos taken.
Hey Barney wannabe,lay off the insults.How many of your previous posts contained poor grammar and numerous spelling errors. Your monday morning recaps are mundane as is your stating the obvious.I don't believe you are retired,nor a Deputy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cincinnati Financial Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ohio cops hope video will aid probe of lamb hea... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Palestinian Guy 19
Former Butler County judge faces drunken-drivin... (Jan '11) Jan '11 michael d 1
Stores Need More Holiday Help | Ohio News Netwo... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Wally 1
Dancer-welder's life is flashback to 'Flashdanc... (Nov '10) Nov '10 anon bae welder 2
Ohio apartment blaze displaces 17 families | Th... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Melisa jessie 6
More job cuts for BAE (Sep '10) Sep '10 Marty 5
Investigators Make Big Food Stamp Bust (Aug '10) Aug '10 dont worry 1
More from around the web