Pilgrim's Pride to cut 3,000 jobs, shut operations at 3 plants ...

Full story: Newsday 143
Pilgrim's Pride Corp. said Friday it will cut 3,000 jobs, or about 7 percent of its work force, as it shuts down operations at three of its 32 chicken processing plants. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Curious George Pres

Bridgeport, CT

#1 Feb 27, 2009
3000 layed off illegals,welfare costs up as there anchor babies recieve more,O'mans increased entitlements with the cost passed to the middleclass,thats the answer.
dammit

Buena Vista, GA

#2 Feb 27, 2009
It's gonna get bad around here.
confused

Rochelle, GA

#4 Feb 27, 2009
Hey be honest, shouldn't your name be "be racist"?Your small minded petty comment seems to indicate that you are.
old chicken farmer

United States

#5 Feb 27, 2009
It's time to start boycotting all Pilgrim Pride products and send a clear message to ole Bo it ain't just business as usual. If people could see the inside of a processing plant they would develop a quick dislike for chicken. It's simple how to put this back in Bo's lap and make him pay for his mistakes - don't eat his chicken. Please, please, everybody boycott Pilgrim Pride products and let Bo "reap what he has sown".
Douglas Facts

Fitzgerald, GA

#6 Feb 27, 2009
Hello Shirley, I am not an illegal and as far as I know there aren't any illegals working at Pilgrims in Douglas. Nearly 900 harding working Americans are losing their jobs and it is a sad day. This will greatly impact this community in a negative way. There are 138 farmers who will no longer be growing chickens and some will probably lose their farms. There are no other poultry companies who will need to place chicks in their houses. Shame on you Shirley for your comments. I ask all of you to pray for the employees and families, the farmers, and this community.
Timmy O Toole

Elizabeth, NJ

#7 Feb 27, 2009
Why do I see these women pushing bugaboos?
hurstr77

Fitzgerald, GA

#8 Feb 28, 2009
Well I couldn't make any sense of the first post but it said something about "I'm a racist pig who needs God in my life!". Is that what everyone else read also? I have dealt with hundreds of employees from Pilgrims Pride. Sorry to inform you but if they are illegal, they wouldn't be coming to our office to file both FEDERAL & STATE Income Taxes. And yes I have had several different races that work out of Pilgrims Pride. And they all pay taxes like we do. This is going to have a huge impact on everything in our County. Do you realize how many families this is going to put a hardship on? From your post I can tell how much you care. But why don't you stop and put yourself or a loved one there and see how you would handle a situation like that. I have said it before and will say it again, The Compassion, Love and American Spirit is slowly leaving America.
Wantitdoneright

Alma, GA

#9 Feb 28, 2009
It will affect every level and size business in Douglas and Coffee County.
Farmers, factory workers, truck drivers and all the folks they buy goods and sevices from.
Banks, stores, places to eat and buy food, gas stations, you name it - they all have shared some of the income from Pilgrim's Pride workers.
Oh- tax dollars also- so the schools, roads, and services of the city and county will also loose.
All in all a very traumatic announcement for the whole of Coffee County and ALL it's residents if you really think about it.
And no where else is hiring. So the people will leave, or have to exisit here somehow.
All the controversy about the schools and teachers will be a waste- less students and tax dollars mean less teachers and schools needed!!
All large businesses have cut back, laid off etc., now one, if not the, largest closes - NOT GOOD!!
Desperate times

Norman Park, GA

#10 Feb 28, 2009
I am truly sadden by the fact that Pilgrim's Pride is closing. I see the trickle effect this is going to have on the economy and families in Coffee Co. I knew the economy was suffering and that people all over the United States were in desperate need but this has really hit close to home. So close I fear for many of us and our families. Just since Friday, I've had two farmers come up to me in shear disbelief and now despair. Not sure what's going to happen.
concerned

Lakeland, GA

#11 Feb 28, 2009
My family has Pilgrim's Pride chicken houses. It is a very hard time for us right now. Unless you yourself know what this means for us, don't say a word. People around South Georgia know what shutting down chicken houses mean and the impact that will have. Illegal immigrants Shirley? Do you really think that is only who is affected by this???? Come on now.
concerned

Lakeland, GA

#12 Feb 28, 2009
Timmy O Toole wrote:
Why do I see these women pushing bugaboos?
Trust me, those of us who work for Pilgrim's Pride can't afford bugaboos!!!!
Blue Dog

Chester, MA

#13 Feb 28, 2009
concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Trust me, those of us who work for Pilgrim's Pride can't afford bugaboos!!!!
I feel terrible that people whowork hard for a living, people who produce real goods and products for use are losing there jobs.

I find the racist comments disgusting but these blogs are rife with these trolls. I'm not sure what motivates these people but my guess is they live lifes of little consequence, little success and little value so the only way they feel better about their own pathetic lives is to demean others.

I work for the State and have seen the level of venom, hatred and stupidity blossom as things go south in the economy.

Like I said its sad to see people who work hard and provide real value to the econmy lose there jobs while people who produce nothing, who add no value to the economy, who push a piece of paper from one pile to another then get paid multi-milion dollar bonuses prosper.
jake

Scarsdale, NY

#14 Feb 28, 2009
hurstr77 wrote:
Well I couldn't make any sense of the first post but it said something about "I'm a racist pig who needs God in my life!". Is that what everyone else read also? I have dealt with hundreds of employees from Pilgrims Pride. Sorry to inform you but if they are illegal, they wouldn't be coming to our office to file both FEDERAL & STATE Income Taxes. And yes I have had several different races that work out of Pilgrims Pride. And they all pay taxes like we do. This is going to have a huge impact on everything in our County. Do you realize how many families this is going to put a hardship on? From your post I can tell how much you care. But why don't you stop and put yourself or a loved one there and see how you would handle a situation like that. I have said it before and will say it again, The Compassion, Love and American Spirit is slowly leaving America.
Don't be fooled - MANY MANY ILLEGAL ALIENS working under a phoney S.S.#(that the Employer and Union gladly accept) file taxes , they claim 8 and at the end of the year they get the TAX CREDIT and end up stealing another couple of thousand dollars from taxpayers. Don't think for a minute these people are stupid they know EXCATLY what they're doing , the STUPID one's are us allowing this to happen and electing the same people who protect and support these criminials ! And REMEMBER , everything this President and Congesss and Senate do with this stimilius money WILL INCLUDE 20 MILLIOM + ILEGAL ALIENS !!!
Sabata

Gainesville, FL

#15 Feb 28, 2009
there are several chicken farms in North Florida that have closed
old chicken farmer

United States

#16 Feb 28, 2009
The guilty party, Bo Pilgrim, is just walking away from the very people that enabled him to acquire his wealth. Like pouring salt into an open wound, Pilgrim is retaining the former CEO & COO with monthly salaries of $83,000 & $53,000. I know the economy is causing large corporations to shut down, but Pilgrim Pride is the only poultry company to shut down plants, lay off workers and cause contract growers into bankruptcy. Why? Because of Bo Pilgrim's greed and vanity to be the largest poultry producer. It's time Bo reaps what he has sown. Boycott Pilgrim Pride products, in the grocery store, don't buy his feed, and check to see if fast food chains are using Pilgrim's product. Believe me, it's the only thing these high flying companies understand. In his quest to outdo Don Tyson, Bo Pilgrim has left a wake of destruction in his path. What a shameful legacy Bo Pilgrim has left.
concerned

Lakeland, GA

#17 Feb 28, 2009
Blue Dog wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel terrible that people whowork hard for a living, people who produce real goods and products for use are losing there jobs.
I find the racist comments disgusting but these blogs are rife with these trolls. I'm not sure what motivates these people but my guess is they live lifes of little consequence, little success and little value so the only way they feel better about their own pathetic lives is to demean others.
I work for the State and have seen the level of venom, hatred and stupidity blossom as things go south in the economy.
Like I said its sad to see people who work hard and provide real value to the econmy lose there jobs while people who produce nothing, who add no value to the economy, who push a piece of paper from one pile to another then get paid multi-milion dollar bonuses prosper.
Thanks for this. It is hard to know that people think everyone in a big company makes big bucks. We don't.
Kelly

United States

#18 Feb 28, 2009
I see NY is saying things they know nothing about.
I have work at the Farmerville, LA plant for 5 years now, and know of mabye 50-60 Mexican Desent in both Farmerville and El-Dorado, AR. Plant. All the people here are going to suffer. The Plants are less than 50 miles from each other and the community are integrated financially with each other.
Something I haven't seen anybody talk about is the fact that pilgrims made all the farmers up grade their houses or they would not put chickens in their houses. This happened in the past 2 years, almost every farmer had to sink 100,000 - 500,000 dollars in to their houses. Most didn't owe anything on their houses, and now they will most likely loose everything.
Now I have to sell my house and move to another town,,,'O' but I can't sell my house, the house market is down, and nobody want's to buy a house where jobs are found.
pissed off grower

United States

#19 Feb 28, 2009
I am pissed off they shut me down yesterday and send me a bull crap letter today telling me they are sorry but it was something they had to do. But they are going to help the people who work at the plants find new jobs...Hell what are they going to do for me?????? I will loose everything i have worked so hard for because it will save them money in the long run.Bull on that they owe these growers something for the pain they are putting on us and our families.
pissed off grower

United States

#20 Feb 28, 2009
oh I for got 1 thing I am a new grower on my 8th batch... 1,000,000 in the whole. Tell me they are right for doing this to me and my family.

“Avoid Taxes, Don't Work !”

Since: Jul 08

San Jose, CA

#21 Feb 28, 2009
California voters passed Prop 7 last November requiring more room for chickens. In 2 years you will see farms here close and move to other states. The chicken farmers need to sell directly to stores and consumers like in the 1930's. The other option is for all the farmers to stop shipping to PP

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pilgrims Pride Corporation Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Arkansas Pilgrim's Pride growers (Mar '12) Apr '14 concerned citizen 20
packers sanitation (Aug '12) Dec '13 jason 3
Pilgrim's Pride Closing Ala. Poultry Plant (Dec '13) Dec '13 GOLDKIST LEGACY E... 1
Lawsuit (Feb '12) Nov '13 Ed Brocksmith 25
closing (Nov '13) Nov '13 Cold 6
packers sanitation services,and Q SSI , (Nov '13) Nov '13 Johnny Woodstock Ga 1
5th Circuit reverses $25 million judgment again... (Sep '13) Sep '13 old chicken farmer 1
More from around the web