Pilgrim's Pride Corp. closing Montgom...

Pilgrim's Pride Corp. closing Montgomery County plant

There are 7 comments on the The Morning Call story from Feb 28, 2009, titled Pilgrim's Pride Corp. closing Montgomery County plant. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Pilgrim's Pride Corp. said Friday it will shut down a Montgomery County plant that employs 100 people as part of a bankruptcy reorganization that will eliminate 3,000 jobs nationwide.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

comment

Korea

#1 Feb 28, 2009
Wampler goes wamp.
Tom

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Feb 28, 2009
100 less jobs in the Souderton school district and the teachers still want an 8.2% annual raise. The stock market keeps dropping, more and more jobs are lost and people are losing health care benefits. I cannot help but think that the average teacher realizes the difficult economic times and would settle for the Board offer; however they have lost the ability to act responsibly since they turned their cerebral matter over to the union. PA should freeze teacher salaries as contracts come up for renewal and have teachers pay 30% of the health care premium. States, like California, Virginia and South Carolina, have frozen salaries.
Staberdearth

Allentown, PA

#3 Feb 28, 2009
Tom wrote:
States, like California, Virginia and South Carolina, have frozen salaries.
What about the other 54 states?
Tom

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Feb 28, 2009
For the other 47 states, 40 are looking for ways to cut budget deficits. Only TX,OK,AR,ND,CO,MT,and WV do not have budget deficits at present.
Staberdearth

Allentown, PA

#5 Feb 28, 2009
eat mor chikin!
hope

Flagstaff, AZ

#6 Feb 28, 2009
With Obama increasing taxes on corporations and the rich, more corporations will be doing the same thing out of necessity. It's either lay off and declare bankruptcy or go totally out of business. Obama gives no incentive for these compaines to try and work out their problems. Reagan had a worse economy when he became President and he solved it. Why is Obama doing the exact opposite? He wants us to fail?
old chicken farmer

Marshall, TX

#7 Feb 28, 2009
Make no mistake about it, Obama had nothing to do with this situation. This began years ago with Bo Pilgrim going around buying up smaller poultry companies in his quest to become the largest poultry producer in the country. Bo Pilgrim was intent in surpassing Don Tyson without any regard to the vunerability he was placing on workers and growers. Bo was gambling at our expense, not his. The growers, which I was one, have borrowed millions of dollars in order to raise chickens for ole Bo Pilgrim. Clint Rivers, the former CEO, didn't invest anything in order to work for Pilgrim. Yet, Pilgrim has retained Clint Rivers as a consultant with a monthly salary of $83,000 while eliminating hundreds of growers. Ironic, isn't it? I truly believe the only way to send a clear message to Bo Pilgrim is to boycott all Pilgrim Pride products. Eat more chicken, just don't eat Pilgrim Pride chicken. Boycott the fast food chains that buy Pilgrim, don't buy his feed, and find out those restaurants that serve his product. The very people that enabled Bo Pilgrim to acquire his wealth were the first to be terminated. It's time that ole Bo reaps what he has sown. Put Pilgrim Pride out of business, he had no problem putting me out of business while keeping on those high flying excutives. What a shameful legacy Bo Pilgrim is leaving.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pilgrims Pride Corporation Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
packers sanitation (Aug '12) Apr '16 Tough guy 4
News Pilgrim's Pride Closing Ala. Poultry Plant (Dec '13) Jan '16 old goldkist pilgrim 2
Is your local plant reopening ? (Dec '09) Dec '15 Jeffrey Hackney 33
inspector at pilgrims (Dec '15) Dec '15 AAA 1
Arkansas Pilgrim's Pride growers (Mar '12) Apr '14 concerned citizen 20
Lawsuit (Feb '12) Nov '13 Ed Brocksmith 25
closing (Nov '13) Nov '13 Cold 6
More from around the web