plant mechanic

Warren, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2009

Any news of your local poultry plant reopening since it was "idled" by Pilgrim's ? It's a shame for the plants and chicken houses to not be producing.
All is quiet concerning our local Clinton, Ar. plant.
confused canceled grower

High Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2009

in january 2009, here in live oak florida 26 broiler farms contract were canceled (over 100 houses) 45 plus days out, reduced palcement, 400 employees laid off or terminated because of not being able to sell chicken, now december 2009, out time is 23 days and expected to be down to 14 days in early 2010, the plant started a second shift, local breeder farms can not produce enough eggs, top executives want the plant to run at full production, iam very confused why the live oak plant reduced production anyway, sounds like alot of good employees got screwed, growers got screwed, please explain
jack

Fort Collins, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2009

I have been hearing a lot of chatter about the Douglas, GA. growers receiveing chicks in January 2010 and the plant restarting in March 2010. I have not been able to find anything in print to corroborate this hearsay. Anyone have any concrete evidence that the Douglas facility will restart in 2010?
Released Grower

Alachua, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2009

They basically shot themselves in the foot at Live Oak. Some of the canceled growers are not coming back and the many of the ones that are willing don't have the money to start up their farms again. Most are facing foreclosure and bankruptcy. As it looks now they will not be able to ramp up production to the levels JBS desires and the banks are not going to help.

The local "brain trust" was ordered by headquarters to cut costs. They thought cutting off growers in lieu of layoffs at the plant was the way to go. Now the man behind that decision is no longer a PPC "partner" but a chemical salesman.
confused canceled grower wrote:
in january 2009, here in live oak florida 26 broiler farms contract were canceled (over 100 houses) 45 plus days out, reduced palcement, 400 employees laid off or terminated because of not being able to sell chicken, now december 2009, out time is 23 days and expected to be down to 14 days in early 2010, the plant started a second shift, local breeder farms can not produce enough eggs, top executives want the plant to run at full production, iam very confused why the live oak plant reduced production anyway, sounds like alot of good employees got screwed, growers got screwed, please explain
old chicken farmer

Smithville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2009

Judged:

I personally don't think the El Dorado facality will ever be put back in operation. Pilgrim's Pride had started gutting the processing plant in anticipation of shutting down the El Dorado facality and now there is nothing left to start up. Pilgrim's Pride moved the equipment to the Nashville plant and it has left growers in the El Dorado area without any hope of ever recovering from this mess. The major lending institutions that loan money for poultry opertations in this area,(Farm Credit Services and First Financial), will no longer loan money for anything related to Pilgrim's Pride. Many of the cancelled growers, with considerable debt, are already in foreclosure or bankruptcy. Pilgrim's Pride name in this area is ruined and it is hard to believe that anyone would borrow a penny on ANY promise or assurance to do business with this company.
plant mechanic

Warren, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2009

One of the two evis lines at the Clinton plant has been gutted also, along with some picking room equipment. Most everything else in the plant is still intact from what I hear. Most local growers are struggling just to pay the interest on their farm loans, hoping the plant will reopen and they can start growing again. The Clinton mayor commented recently that the city had been contacted about settling their lawsuit against Pilgrim's. He would not give any details though. I haven't heard any news concerning the lawsuit our local growers have against Pilgrim's.
old chicken farmer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2009

The lawsuit involving the growers out of the El Dorado complex will continue. The bankruptcy judge has ruled that the growers's claim against Pilgrim's Pride would not be released and now litigation can proceed. We are waiting now on the decision to be made to move the case from District Court in Ft. Worth to Marshall, Texas.
I Wonder

Ellwood City, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2009

There was several lawsuits by growers. Is the ElDorado one the only ones that will go on? There was some around Lafayette county and Dequeen and up in that area? And the Clinton one? Do they continue or have they lost any hope of getting anything?
plant mechanic

Warren, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2009

The Clinton growers filed their lawsuit against Pilgrim's BEFORE Pilgrim's went into bankruptcy. The city of Clinton filed their lawsuit against Pilgrim's AFTER Pilgrim's went into bankruptcy. I have heard no recent news on either lawsuit.
plant mechanic

Monticello, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2010

Recently there's been quite a bit of activity at the "idled" Clinton, Ar. processing plant. Several management and maintenance people were entering and exiting the building. The maintenance folks were there to start the heating system. The building was without heat all last winter. Local chicken haulers were sent a letter saying they would return to work soon. Possible reopening?, possible sale?, who knows, but something's up.
beverly

Tallahassee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2010

if only the peoples that were buyin the products at the liveoak fl plant knew of the things that were going on around the food in the plant they would'nt buy it there has been rumors about the employeeshaving sex in the restrooms the parking lots the qc's smoking weed i am very concerned cause i buy the food and i think that someone needs to do drug test on everybody in the plant.
old chicken farmer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2010

Judged:

Ther outlook for the El Dorado area growers seems very bleak. Now the talk of a co-op being explored, it is becoming more and more evident that the possibility of this plant being re-opened is very remote. More and more farms are be foreclosed on as each day passes. The lawyers have been able to hold off some of the lending institutions so far but now they have begun to foreclose on farms. I was a fourth generation poultry producer and have been around the poultry business all my life and I have never seen the growers at such a disadvantage. The larger these companies get the less ROI there is for growers.
canceled grower

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2010

not to likely,on jbs pilgrims pride they said they would leave operations here the same right now. more changes in three to six months. however they will be expanding in mexico.
plant mechanic

Monticello, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2010

Pilgrim's recently said they were reopening one of the idled plants this year. Have they announced which plant it will be ?
Released Grower

Citra, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2010

As I posted in the other thread, I've only heard that the hatchery along with the associated pullet and breeder houses are coming back in Douglas. The broiler houses and processing plant are staying closed.

The hatchery will be suppling chicks for the Live Oak complex.
jack

Fort Collins, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2010

plant mechanic wrote:
Pilgrim's recently said they were reopening one of the idled plants this year. Have they announced which plant it will be ?
PP said they were considering restarting a closed plant this year. They did not mention any particular plant.
rwr

Douglas, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2010

what i am wondering is if they are going to put some pullet and breeder houses back in business where are they going to get the feed from
Released Grower

Alachua, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2010

From the Live Oak complex feed mill I would guess.
rwr wrote:
what i am wondering is if they are going to put some pullet and breeder houses back in business where are they going to get the feed from
rwr

Douglas, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2010

i would think that would be a long way to hall it
rwr

Douglas, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2010

haul

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of32
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pilgrims Pride Corporation Discussions

Search the Pilgrims Pride Corporation Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Arkansas Pilgrim's Pride growers (Mar '12) Feb '14 Old Naive Chicken Grower 19
packers sanitation (Aug '12) Dec '13 jason 3
Pilgrim's Pride Closing Ala. Poultry Plant Dec '13 GOLDKIST LEGACY EMPLOYEE 1
Lawsuit (Feb '12) Nov '13 Ed Brocksmith 25
closing Nov '13 Cold 6
packers sanitation services,and Q SSI , Nov '13 Johnny Woodstock Ga 1
5th Circuit reverses $25 million judgment again... (Sep '13) Sep '13 old chicken farmer 1
•••
•••
•••
•••