Chicken Farmers Have Hearts Plucked Out

Last December, Pilgrim's Pride Went Bankrupt. The repercussions on chicken farmers are still being felt.

Full Story
First Prev
of 17
Next Last
old chicken farmer

United States

#1 Jun 30, 2009
I will never believe that Don Jackson ever had to struggle about closing any of the plants that put so many farmers out of their homes and off their farms. There is no doubt that Mr. Don Jackson has forgotten where he came from and has basically disgraced his own father by the actions he has taken against farmers just like his own father. In other words, Don Jackson would not have had any qualms about causing his own father to go broke. We know Don, you just care about making money just like "old" Bo Pilgrim and could care less about those who made you "rich". It won't be long though and old Bo Pilgrim will be dead and he will have to answer for his deeds. What a legacy Bo Pilgrim is leaving, hiding behind his CEO's, bankruptcy lawyers, and company spokesman. Come on Bo, you caused this mess, be a man and admit it you spineless coward. BOYCOTT PILGRIM'S PRIDE products.
Agree

United States

#2 Jul 1, 2009
My heart goes out to these farmers. I really do not know what is going to happen to them. Most are going to lose their farms, I'm sure, but I imagine the worse thing is that some of those farms have been in the family for generations maybe. Some bought the land for the farm, but some used the land that they inherited not having any idea that they would lose it. That is the really sad part of all of this. But Bo's children are not losing their heritage. Is there not some way for Bo to have to pay for what he has done to these people? Why should he and his children sit there so comfortable while others are suffering so much? They should have to pay for what they have done to these people.
Happy Grower

United States

#3 Jul 2, 2009
old chicken farmer wrote:
I will never believe that Don Jackson ever had to struggle about closing any of the plants that put so many farmers out of their homes and off their farms. There is no doubt that Mr. Don Jackson has forgotten where he came from and has basically disgraced his own father by the actions he has taken against farmers just like his own father. In other words, Don Jackson would not have had any qualms about causing his own father to go broke. We know Don, you just care about making money just like "old" Bo Pilgrim and could care less about those who made you "rich". It won't be long though and old Bo Pilgrim will be dead and he will have to answer for his deeds. What a legacy Bo Pilgrim is leaving, hiding behind his CEO's, bankruptcy lawyers, and company spokesman. Come on Bo, you caused this mess, be a man and admit it you spineless coward. BOYCOTT PILGRIM'S PRIDE products.
I for one I'm still growing and happy for it I hate what has happened the many that have to suffer , but for the hundreds this brought so much pain and suffering to it is sad , but to the thousands still able to stay employed I say eat more chicken makes me no difference what brand of chicken just keep eating it , One chicken ate is one that has to be replaced .. Look at the big picture here hundreds uemployed or thousands ?
douglasman

Fernandina Beach, FL

#4 Jul 2, 2009
Happy Grower,
How wonderful you can sustain your living and provide for your children. No, I am not a chicken farmer or in farming in any way, but I see how many are hurting in our town. Kind of a very selfish comment.

Look at the big picture-sounds like you view this situation in a small picture kind of way. Me and my family are fine if the rest suffer it is okay, because me and my family are fine. Sad commentary-I think. These people are and were your fellow colleagues in business. I am hoping I just misread what you were trying to say. I feel that if you were one of the hundreds struggling right now you would not be so "happy".
This whole situation is "profits before people"!
blackwater woman

Fitzgerald, GA

#5 Jul 3, 2009
When we first moved to Coffee County, Ga. we were told lots of "old money" and folks well connected politically both on state and fed levels. Well, if this is so, I think policital favors need to be called in. Campaign contributions can be withheld from candidates who want to stay in office. Douglas plant needs to be sold and Sonny can use funds from stimulus to help put a deal together. Sonny is a lame duck and has nothing to gain to help Coffee County but the state reps, senators and future govenors can benefit from putting a deal together and they can put pressure on Sonny. The longer a plant sits empty the harder it will be sell. Come on politically connected folks use a little muscle. This county is losing Wayne Farms this month so more unemployment. 26% unemployment in Coffee County and number is rising.
Douglasman

Fernandina Beach, FL

#6 Jul 3, 2009
Wow! I did not realize unemployment was that brutal right now. These are the correct numbers,
Blackwater woman. I would like to know where you found them. Please let me know. Also, I appreciate your comments about the Pilgrim Pride Situation. We need help, and we need it anyway we can get it. Douglas is a great community and has great hardworking families. Sonny please help us.

Perry, GA

#7 Jul 3, 2009
What is the government supposed to do to help? The federal government is in debt, and the state government has no extra money. They can't go in debt because of the Constitution.

I think it's time for individuals to do what they can do to help themselves without relying on the government.
Concerned

Fernandina Beach, FL

#8 Jul 3, 2009
Guest,
Please take the time to do a search on Governor Bobby Jidal of the state of Louisiana.(he is a republican governor and may be the front runner for the next republican presidential bid). Louisiana was able to use some of its government stimulus money to help broker a deal to help sell the Pilgrim's Pride plant in Louisiana. I think you would find it interesting. I know I am just a concerned person in our community, and have begun following this story quite closely due to the plant's closing and its impact on coffee county and surrounding areas. Government can help! Many of the people greatly affected by this are very hardworking, responsible people who have had their livlihoods taken from them.
Jason Aldean

United States

#9 Jul 5, 2009
If the governor of La had stayed out of it and not put up state monies to close the deal there, I suspect the Georgia plant would have been easier to sell. If these businesses don't have the required money to buy these plants, they shouldn't have them. Government should never use taxpayer's money to solicit jobs, long term affects are now being seen nationwide.(Think GM)

Keep government out!

Perry, GA

#10 Jul 5, 2009
The stimulus money came from the taxpayers pocketbooks. We live in a country with a free market system. Keep the government out of private industry.
Concerned

Gainesville, GA

#11 Jul 5, 2009
I certainly have no problems with listening to others views. That is the beauty of America.
I stand by what I believe. I believe what Louisiana did was a good thing. You gentlemen can certainly believe in your views as well.
I feel sorry for the Douglas Community.
I hope that the plant will sell. The stimulus package has already been put into place. If the monies are there than I certainly hope my community and the hard-working, tax-paying people of Douglas, Ga. can benefit from this. The closing of Pilgrims Pride and Wayne Farms will have a "Katrina-like" affect on our community. Many businesses will close.
As an educated person, I would certainly love to hear from others on any solutions they can think of for this problem. I know that Douglas' brightest business people are working towards a solution for this problem. Thank You.
Respectfully, Concerned

Perry, GA

#12 Jul 5, 2009
Since I am not from your area, please explain Wayne Farms to me. It is the largest supplier of chickens to plant? I thought lots of individual farmers supplied the plant, but I am not in a position to know much about this.
YoMomma

Ford City, PA

#13 Jul 6, 2009
I don't know squat about chickens or the industry, but I am a taxpayer and business owner. I see no better use of the slice the taxman takes outta my hide than using it to keep more jobs from evaporating. Better it be used there than on the infinite number of other useless state or federal projects that our esteemed legislators have approved in years past. But that's just my opinion.
Concerned

Fitzgerald, GA

#14 Jul 6, 2009
Guest,
I found an article on Poultrysite.com referring to Waynes Farms and its phase out closure by the end of July. I am an educator by profession, and truly know little about the chicken farming industry. I just see the worry and stress in my young students' faces everyday. It is heart-breaking. It is hard to watch good people suffer like this in your community. They are losing everything they have worked so very hard for to provide for their families. I know that Waynes Farms is pulling out of Douglas because of its working contract specifically with Pilgrims Pride. That will be an additional 150 jobs. I do know there are approximately 150 poultry farms that raise chickens for Pilgrims. These are hard-working, honest families. Then there are all of the workers in the plants and offices. Just very sad to watch. I certainly do not know what the answer is. I hope this article will help you with more information. Any readers that can bring clarity to this topic , I would respectfully appreciate your thoughts and insights into this topic. Thanks, Concerned

Perry, GA

#15 Jul 6, 2009
Thank you for sharing the information with me. I can relate to seeing the worried looks on young people's faces and the faces of business owners. We are not in the chicken business, but we are watching daily as more and more businesses - businesses that have been in families for 50 -100 years go under. They are letting employees go and are down to the bare bones trying to hang on to the businesses they have spent a lifetime building. It is really sad. Unfortunately the small mom and pop businesses are not getting any help from the government and they are the ones who have to pay self-employment taxes which are almost unaffordable at this point.
Concerned

Fitzgerald, GA

#16 Jul 6, 2009
I know it is so very scary. My background is very conservative and I have always been a republican. I do agree in less gov't. I just feel like if the stimulus monies are already in place for the state of Ga., I would love for Coffee County's people to have some of it if it could help alleviate this problem of the plant selling. We are small business owners. Between insurance and taxes it is very hard on small business owners. I thank the Lord everday that my husband is a very conservative business man. We are in an industry that businesses are closing left and right. My husband has always believed in living a good life, but certainly well within our means. I am so very grateful for this. I just pray that our nation can get through this economic upheaval.
I also pray nightly that Coffee County will get through this. I have faith that it will. I am pretty grounded in my beliefs, but I always love to hear different view points. I just hate to see my students so very stressed out about the economy. Childhood should be a wonderful time!
old chicken farmer

United States

#17 Jul 6, 2009
I raised chickens for the El Dorado complex that was closed in May of this year. Ever since Pilgrim's Pride purchased the plant from ConAgra, I made a concerted effort to keep abreast of the founder of this company and it's dealings. The founder, Lonnie "Bo" Pilgrim, was intent on becoming the #1 chicken producer in North America by surpassing Tyson. Pilgrim's ill advised hostile takeover of Gold Kist for $1.4 billion is the REAL reason this company went bankrupt. Pilgrim's Pride has a very good propaganda department headed by Ray Atchinson that tries to put the blame on the cost of grain and fuel. But I have yet to hear of another poultry company filing for bankruptcy because of high grain and fuel prices. The bottom line is they took on too much debt. This bankruptcy could have been avoided if Bo Pilgrim would have liquidated some of his assets, namely the plants he shut down. But Bo doesn't want to sell those plants in order to reduce the amount of chicken on the market thereby raising the price of chicken. All of this is an effort to hold onto his market share and increase his profit margin. It's greed folks, pure and simple GREED ! Bo Pilgrim is just another Bernie Madoff and should be in the cell next to him. Boycott Pilgrim's Pride products and put this company out of business.
Concerned

Gainesville, GA

#18 Jul 6, 2009
Thank you Old Farmer for giving me insight into Pilgrim's business practices. I am so very sorry for you and your family that you had to go through this. I hope that you are able to recover from this. Please know many people are praying for you farmers and your families.
Sincerely,
Concerned
iron horse

Cary, NC

#19 Jul 7, 2009
FYI, not that is makes any difference for Coffee County and the economic situation it is facing, but Wayne Farms lost a contract with Campbell Soup. This is the reason for closing the plant not because of a contract with PP. Sonny has already received stimulus money and legislation can be passed to use some of this money for the purchase of Douglas plant. If he doesn't know how to accomplish this task all he has to do is contact La. govenor. Someone made the statement he could not justify spending the money to help Douglas because carpet plants have closed in N. Ga. I would respectfully argue this point based on the fact people aren't buying carpet it would just sit in warehouses. Chicken sells, people keep the jobs, their farms, banks survive, suppliers for plant survive, the community survives. It is a win win situation. Why can't he see this, ah, he doesn't care. If he ever wants to run for any other office I hope the good folks of South Ga. remember all his help.

Perry, GA

#20 Jul 7, 2009
Again, I ask why does the poultry industry deserve government help but other industries /small mom and pop shops do not?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pilgrims Pride Corporation Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Arkansas Pilgrim's Pride growers (Mar '12) Apr '14 concerned citizen 20
packers sanitation (Aug '12) Dec '13 jason 3
Pilgrim's Pride Closing Ala. Poultry Plant (Dec '13) Dec '13 GOLDKIST LEGACY E... 1
Lawsuit (Feb '12) Nov '13 Ed Brocksmith 25
closing (Nov '13) Nov '13 Cold 6
packers sanitation services,and Q SSI , (Nov '13) Nov '13 Johnny Woodstock Ga 1
5th Circuit reverses $25 million judgment again... (Sep '13) Sep '13 old chicken farmer 1
•••

Pilgrims Pride Corporation People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••