Pilgrim's Pride being bought out ?
plant mechanic

Warren, AR

#1 Sep 2, 2009
Hey, this made my day. According to the news media, Brazil's JBS is offering 2 billion dollars for Pilgrim's Pride. Possible good news for the employees and growers "idled" by Pilgrim's. If JBS does become the new owner, you think we will all go back to work soon ? This certainly bears watching.
Bankrupt poultry farmer

Lake Butler, FL

#2 Sep 3, 2009
good riddens to pilgrims pride and crooked bo pilgrim and his board members
exworker in dequeenark

Broken Bow, OK

#3 Sep 3, 2009
if all plants are like dequeen its no wonder they went bankrupt.Supervisors dont want to be bothered with problems on the lines. You don't see them actually in the plant until company is coming. People on the line run departments. Foremans stay gone because of no bosses. Thank goodness for cell phones and texting.Thats all the qualifications you need in 2nd processing.Hopefully the new owners will bring their own people to run it for the people sake.
Alex Houston

Boca Raton, FL

#4 Sep 3, 2009
They are planning on idling the plant in Athens Alabama. The Union signed a new contract in July 2009, Pilgrim's Pride said the plant was not in danger of closing. Then on July 24, 2009 they sent out a notice saying they were idling the plant and moving operations to Russellville Alabama a non union plant. What does this tell you? The people in Russellville are being bussed in to learn the Athens jobs. The plant in Athens is a fully operational plant. The one in Russellville will have to hire over 300 people to run the plant. Pilgrim's Pride is the largest employer in Limestone County over 600 will lose their jobs. I emailed the Company and they refused to email me back even though they said on their website they would. I pray that JBS buys Pilgrim's Pride and keepsthe jobs in Athens Alabama!!!!!!
old chicken farmer

Fort Smith, AR

#5 Sep 4, 2009
I can't see JBS starting any of the plants that Pilgim's Pride has idled. At the El Dorado, Ark. facality, most of the equipment has been stripped and moved. I think "ole" Bo has decided to take the money and run in an attempt to put this mess he created in his rear view mirror. I often wonder if Bo Pilgrim has any regrets or feels any remorse for the financial hardship he caused so many hard working families. Probably not!! Let's not forget, regardless of the much reported high fuel and feed prices causing Pilgrim's Pride bankruptcy, it was the decision by Bo Pilgrim to borrow $1.4 billion in order to purchase Gold Kist that caused this mess. Bo just got too big for his britches.
Bankrupt poultry farmer

Lake Butler, FL

#6 Sep 4, 2009
"answer to old chicken farmer", Bo Pilgrim is a heartless bastard, he has no regrets and no remorse for the problems he has caused growers, employees, and business that worked under pilgrims. I agree with "old chiken farmer", feed cost and fuel prices was not the cause of Pilgrims Pride fall, it was the debt load of purchasing Goldkist, a company he could not afford, if feed was the problem the other intergrators would be in bankruptcy also, Bo Pilgrim decided it was time to tuck and run from the mess he created like the coward he is, his decisions have reuined the comunities that his plants are in, and now he just sells out and forgets it ever happened and takes his millions with him and the laid off employees and canceled contract growers are left with nothing!!!!!!
Bo Pilgrim Sucks!!!!!!
Wondering

Alachua, FL

#7 Sep 5, 2009
I wonder what will happen to all of the lawsuits against Pilgrim's if the sale goes through? Will they continue or what happens to all the ones effected by the bankruptcy? Are they left out in the cold or what? There are growers depending on the outcome of the suits. They are not expecting much, just enough to help pay off loans and keep their homes. Is that too much to ask Bo for? After all, he is still living in his mansion. I just hope one day he realizes what he has done to innocent people. But he probably does not have a heart.
old chicken farmer

United States

#8 Sep 7, 2009
The lawsuits that independent growers have against Pilgrim's Pride will have to be settled before the sale can be completed or JBS will have to also assume those liabilities.
this is right

Radford, VA

#9 Sep 9, 2009
exworker in dequeenark wrote:
if all plants are like dequeen its no wonder they went bankrupt.Supervisors dont want to be bothered with problems on the lines. You don't see them actually in the plant until company is coming. People on the line run departments. Foremans stay gone because of no bosses. Thank goodness for cell phones and texting.Thats all the qualifications you need in 2nd processing.Hopefully the new owners will bring their own people to run it for the people sake.
this is right
fmr wkr

Macungie, PA

#10 Sep 15, 2009
Another sad chapter in American business history at the Franconia, Pa. plant we used to have folks who would go out on smoke break for half a night. I see the attitude at dequeenark was no different.
Former Grower

Poughkeepsie, NY

#11 Sep 16, 2009
Buyout a done deal. Announced this morning.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pilgrims Pride Corporation Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Arkansas Pilgrim's Pride growers (Mar '12) Apr '14 concerned citizen 20
packers sanitation (Aug '12) Dec '13 jason 3
News Pilgrim's Pride Closing Ala. Poultry Plant (Dec '13) Dec '13 GOLDKIST LEGACY E... 1
Lawsuit (Feb '12) Nov '13 Ed Brocksmith 25
closing (Nov '13) Nov '13 Cold 6
packers sanitation services,and Q SSI , (Nov '13) Nov '13 Johnny Woodstock Ga 1
News 5th Circuit reverses $25 million judgment again... (Sep '13) Sep '13 old chicken farmer 1
More from around the web