Environment and drinking water were i...

Environment and drinking water were issues brought up at Marcellus Shale drilling meeting

There are 11 comments on the Public Opinion story from Mar 31, 2011, titled Environment and drinking water were issues brought up at Marcellus Shale drilling meeting. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Protecting drinking water and the environment were the main concerns raised by those attending an informational forum on Marcellus Shale drilling Thursday evening at the Gettysburg Fire Department.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

Robert Colgan

Hanover, PA

#1 Mar 31, 2011
If I was going to open a brothel in Gettysburg, I'd tell the citizens about the wonderfully increased economic opportunities for young women, the ability for the men in the community to explore new and interesting ways of interacting with select other members of the community, and how such an enterprise could prove a real boon in preventive health care through stress reduction.

I wouldn't think it necessary to burden the citizens with extraneous details about disease, degradation, abuse, drug use, unplanned pregnancies and sordid stories of marital breakups, suicides and long-term self-esteem trauma---------they wouldn't need to hear any of that to make a well-informed and correct decision about my proposal.
That would only muddy their thinking.

That's what I heard tonight at the fire hall.
Very one-sided and all pro-gas ... the negative side effects associated with the mass industrialization of Penn's Woods were either minimized or left out completely.

We need to hear the countering arguments in their entirety before we can decide what's best for PA as informed citizens. And there are many of them...
Robert Colgan

Hanover, PA

#2 Mar 31, 2011
"...a real b-o-o-n"...? got blocked
Does the word have a denotation I don't know about?
Karen Ramsburg

Mercersburg, PA

#3 Mar 31, 2011
Tonight we learned how great hydro-fracking is going to be for PA. No doubt, the technology is very advanced but we need to learn more about the real dangers posed by the chemicals used and the process itself.

I've invited Robert Myers to speak on the environmental dangers of hydro-fracking in Mercersburg on May 11th. Professor Myers is Chair of the English Dept. and Director of Environmental Studies at Lock Haven University.
johniej

Newville, PA

#4 Apr 1, 2011
Karen, Your first paragraph sounds like the same thing they said about TMI backin the 1970's. You know the rest of that story. Man is not perfect and accidents will happen. Just look at the shape Japan is in now. How much did these Gas people talk about the negitive side effects!?! We must expect the unexpected. There is way to much greed in this world. JJ from Chb
Keeping score

New Bloomfield, PA

#5 Apr 1, 2011
How much money do you suppose the gas industry has given to Rep. Dan Moul either directly or indirectly?
Dave

Newville, PA

#7 Apr 1, 2011
There are green Frack formulas that have been developed. Why don't the drillers use it? At least we would reduce some of the toxicity.

I would think that it would be better to slow it down. Do we need to drill it all at once?

This rush just makes it easier to bend or just skip the rules & cut corners.

It makes it tougher to prevent an environmental disaster as by the time long term problems surface, we will have created a wide spread issue.

Our water could be at risk, millions of gallons per well. Clean water made toxic. Toxic water pumps underground under tremendous pressure.

Dan Moul should be embarrassed that he put on a gas industry cheering session.

I think his plan to use natural gas to fuel vehicles is good but it should require sacrificing our waterways & ground water.
Karen Ramsburg

Mercersburg, PA

#8 Apr 1, 2011
Johniej - I agree with you, we are all human and we all make mistakes. Accidents (spills) have occurred and will continue to occurr. That is a given, which is why legislation needs to be passed to hold the gas and oil industry responsible for their contamination to our environment that impacts our health and safety.
TET

United States

#9 Apr 1, 2011
As Mr. Grove stated, the gas companies are heavily regulated and overseen. Fear of the unknown continues to be the biggest obstacle in Marcellus Shale. Google Haynesville Shale - the people of Louisiana are sitting on an even larger natural gas shale play than Marcellus, and it will bring billions of dollars to their economy.
Everyone wants to reduce our dependence on foreign oil, but no one wants to face the fact that there will also be risk involved with moving to other sources of energy. You can't have it both ways. Do you own research instead of depending on everyone else to do it for you.
Humans Err

Greencastle, PA

#10 Apr 1, 2011
http://www.publicopiniononline.com/interstate...

Accidents happen. Please don't try to patronize us by telling us that everything is fine, we're going to recycle all of our waste water, etc. There are other places where we can just go look at what the Chesapeake Energy Corp. is doing and extrapolate what our areas will be experiencing soon enough.
Humans Err

Greencastle, PA

#11 Apr 1, 2011
http://www.publicopiniononline.com/statenews/...
Sorry, that was the link to how many years 81 is going to be bunged up.
Patricia Hammann

New Oxford, PA

#13 Apr 3, 2011
There are no energy sources without risk--except the renewable kind. Marcellus Shale may seem unlimited, but that can't be; surely there is some price to pay for it. And I'm afraid my grandchildren and their children will have to pay, We should try to anticipate their future and not be so greedy and careless. We should commit ourselves to renewables before we casually risk the certain dangers of nuclear, coal and shale technologies as though they were free of dangers hiding in the future.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesapeake Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Criminal complaint details brutal slaying of Ne... (Aug '16) Aug '16 fmer505-1951 15
News Environmental groups sue three Oklahoma energy ... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Billie Bob Einstein 2
Chesapeake Energy Buyout (Feb '16) Feb '16 GooseMoose42 1
Chesapeake Energy Royalty Payments (Jun '09) Aug '15 Lora hill 81
News Hearing set for June in $119 million Chesapeake... (Jul '15) Jul '15 nila 2
revenue checks (Apr '15) Apr '15 Susan Stone Reese 1
Royalty checks ? (Apr '09) Oct '14 nila 20
More from around the web