Royalty checks ?
Have we been scammed

United States

#1 Apr 29, 2009
Has anyone else had problems getting your royalty checks??
I signed with chesapeake almost 2 years ago ~'They drilled allllll last summer,
There are apprx. 6 well sites in our zone,pipelines running everywhere.
Many oilfield men in our area and they all say they are producing !!!!
We called to find out about our royalty checks and the first answer we got was to go online to their website and ask our question!
WTF kind of business is that??
Wha if you don't have internet like alot of the older folks??
Finally got a call thru to the guy we signed on with he said he would find out what was going on and get right back to us.that was a month ago..
So now We hire an attorney..
Chris Henderson

Searcy, AR

#2 Jun 3, 2009
Good luck with that - all the attorneys in our area have 'conflict of interest' in filing agains Chesapeake - translate - they have them in their pockets already. Our area has dozens of people who are being told that their deeds are wrong and they don't own all the mineral rights...but no info on how to find out who does.
Even when confronted with years of evidence, Ches just shakes their head(s) and says, no, you're wrong. So, most of us are being paid about half of what our ownership says it should.
Travis 3

Pasadena, TX

#3 Jun 4, 2009
I had the same problem back in 1996. It took my attorney Michael R. Pickering (oil & gas attorney) with Hays, McConn, Rice, & Pickering in Houston months, but he finally got the right division. Also; Chesapeake had to pay late payment interest on all royality payments since I did not accept anything until it was correct. It costs in attorney's fees in the beginning, but I received 50% more than Chesapeake wanted to give.
Here it is 06/04/2009 and I still have received no check for 03/09 royalty payments that was due on 05/29/2009. Has anyone else experienced the same?

young

Tucson, AZ

#4 Jun 20, 2009
Have you heard from anyone as of yet? Your remark WTF had me laughing. Even though we share the same problems.
MADilyn

New Berlin, NY

#5 Jun 25, 2009
Has anyone had their lease extended by Chesapeake by force majeure clause? That's what they're doing in Chemung, N.Y. If you have this situation don't let them talk you into signing.
PA Marcellus Shale

Collierville, TN

#6 Nov 19, 2009
Can anyone advise me? We have a tiny .25 acre lot and a complex CHK lease proposal that appears to sign away all of our land/mineral rights forever. The royalty pmt is 20%. How much money could I expect to get in royalties for 1 yr? Should I even bother negotiating this lease? BTW -- the producing well was drilled a few miles away.
Travis 3

Pasadena, TX

#7 Dec 10, 2009
PA Marcellus Shale wrote:
Can anyone advise me? We have a tiny .25 acre lot and a complex CHK lease proposal that appears to sign away all of our land/mineral rights forever. The royalty pmt is 20%. How much money could I expect to get in royalties for 1 yr? Should I even bother negotiating this lease? BTW -- the producing well was drilled a few miles away.
The smaller the acreage the larger the percentage. You should get at least 25%. I would ask for 40% and negotiate from there. Yes, you should sign and get something. Otherwise; they will just steal it. You can be sure that they will steal by underreporting the production.
Joe from Tulsa

Tulsa, OK

#8 Dec 21, 2009
There are two (2) key parts to a lease: 1) Term of lease (how many years); 2) Royalty (how much you get paid); after that it is mostly boiler plate. If Chesapeake's lease form is too confusing, ask that they use a Standard Form Lease (like a "Producers 88"). As far as term 3 years is about standard with a 2 year option at a set price. As far as royalty somewhere between 3/16ths and 1/4 is fair (that is 18.75% to 25%). Keep in mind, you are getting free money. It is not like you worked for the natural gas or oil. Little pigs get fat, big pigs get slaughtered. If your demands are too one sided, they may not lease you, especially since natural gas prices are low and inventories are at an all time high. Once you make the deal, don't look back and say you should have held out for more. Also, I am not a fan of Chesapeake's, but they won't "steal" anything or under report production or anything like that. They will negotiate the best deal they can and it is up to you to do the same.
Travis 3

Pasadena, TX

#9 Jan 12, 2010
Well, Joe it's easy to see you are connected to the oil exploration business. Just becase you say it, it don't make it so. Chesapeake reports one production number to the Texas Railroad Commission and pays me a lesser amount. That's a fact. Now I'm paid by Enerverst Operating and they are doing the same thing. Every once in a while they get one right, but no very often. When I reported this to Chesapeake Revenue Inquiry, I received no answer. Nuf said!
connie

AOL

#10 May 19, 2011
we wont to know where the hell our checks are .we have spoken to gas personal aand the say the wells are producing
in cleburne yexas
Karen

Fort Worth, TX

#11 Aug 15, 2011
What has happened when these people come in and buy out leases at little cost and then do not send any royalties?? Royalty on the lease are suppose to be at 25% it's been three years and they are actively producing all over Burleson, TX
Bobby

Mansfield, TX

#13 Nov 5, 2011
I started receiving royalty checks 5 months ago, my next door neighbor has not received anything.
Flat-Twin

B M Goldwater A F Range, AZ

#14 Nov 29, 2011
Hope you all understand that Chesapeake will in the end screw you all! Not going to go into details as we are still in discussions (read they are trying to take my percentage or force me to sell it to them!) but they are not your friend. Keep your guard up!
wilma

United States

#15 Aug 25, 2012
Can anyone answer a question for me..my mom has royalties with Chesapeake ..they keep sending her a form offering to buy her part..we can't get anyone to answer and her last check was received in July..any suggestions from anyone?
Bobby

Mansfield, TX

#16 Aug 25, 2012
wilma wrote:
Can anyone answer a question for me..my mom has royalties with Chesapeake ..they keep sending her a form offering to buy her part..we can't get anyone to answer and her last check was received in July..any suggestions from anyone?
Those offers are outside of Chesapeake, the are speculators hoping to cash in on future mineral rights. Most folks refuse to sell unless that are hard up for instant cash.
Cecil

Stephenville, TX

#17 Jan 24, 2013
Im trying to c how much I will get paid lol
liz pratt

San Jose, CA

#18 Mar 19, 2013
Several of my neighbors are still waiting for our first check, since 2008.We are in Arlngton, any suggestions? Thanks.Liz Pratt.
Becky

Grand Prairie, TX

#19 Feb 10, 2014
We live in Grand Prairie, and there are wells all around us. We get the community ties newsletter, but have not got a check from chesapeak since the initial one so they could drill. They even used water from our lake in the Kirby Creek addition. Does anyone now what is going on?
Mark Long

Azle, TX

#20 Mar 3, 2014
Have we been scammed wrote:
Has anyone else had problems getting your royalty checks??
I signed with chesapeake almost 2 years ago ~'They drilled allllll last summer,
There are apprx. 6 well sites in our zone,pipelines running everywhere.
Many oilfield men in our area and they all say they are producing !!!!
We called to find out about our royalty checks and the first answer we got was to go online to their website and ask our question!
WTF kind of business is that??
Wha if you don't have internet like alot of the older folks??
Finally got a call thru to the guy we signed on with he said he would find out what was going on and get right back to us.that was a month ago..
So now We hire an attorney..
Call McDonald Law Firm in Fort Worth Texas, Dan McDonald is taking Chesapeake Energy on, not only in Texas,but also in OK. The man is a bull dog, 855-702-9061 is their #
nila

United States

#22 Oct 17, 2014
I live in BattleGround Washington ,me and my sister have royalty rights gas,oil and minerals,we have gotten small checks our wells are in Oklahoma City Alfalfa county.. They been producing , I just found out gas ain't to big but the oil hit big we should have been receiving big chunks of money we call and they told us there 2 years behind , I to called they never called back, so I got ahold of this man who used to work for them he told me call the court house in Oklahoma City that they have all the records I called they could find my name my. Sisters my moms or her dads I have owned them since 1991. My question is if anyone can answer it , We want to get a attorney but we were told we would have to go to Oklahoma to hire one ,, Dose anyone know if that's true ?
And what kind of attorney do we need to hire ?
And if anyone has any advise or know any numbers that could help us PLEASE let me know it. Would be so great full ...

THANK YOU. FOR TAKING TIME TO READ THIS
Nila

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesapeake Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hearing set for June in $119 million Chesapeake... Jul 9 nila 2
revenue checks Apr '15 Susan Stone Reese 1
Chesapeake. Williston Basin (Jan '14) Jul '14 Delores kahl 16
News Wal-Mart and Exxon have this in common: Big che... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Robert Burns 1
Chesapeake Energy Royalty Payments (Jun '09) Mar '14 Monte Glenn 79
News Eddie Vedder Slams Sacramento At Recent Concert (Nov '13) Nov '13 Frankie G 1
News Carrollton Free Press Standard News | Nomac Dri... (Jun '13) Jun '13 gone 4
More from around the web