Arm & Hammer plant to be built in Jackson Twp.

About 300 new jobs are coming to Jackson Township as part of the largest single building project in the history of the company that makes Arm & Hammer baking soda. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Poor Poolman

Gettysburg, PA

#1 Jun 5, 2008
Great News!!!!

Finally we see some news where jobs are actually COMING to the area.
YDRWatcher

AOL

#2 Jun 5, 2008
This is very good news, but it is ashame we need to take more good farmland and offer a 10 year tax advantage to get jobs here though. If our school tax system wasn't such a joke we could reuse brownfield sites, preserve the farmland, and avoid more urban sprawl!

When townships look at land by the highest taxable value something is seriously amiss. More than likely in ten years, when the tax advantage is gone, the building, having only been leased, will sit empty, waiting for another tennant to ask for another handout.
Black Boy

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Jun 5, 2008
YDRWatcher wrote:
This is very good news, but it is ashame we need to take more good farmland and offer a 10 year tax advantage to get jobs here though. If our school tax system wasn't such a joke we could reuse brownfield sites, preserve the farmland, and avoid more urban sprawl!
When townships look at land by the highest taxable value something is seriously amiss. More than likely in ten years, when the tax advantage is gone, the building, having only been leased, will sit empty, waiting for another tennant to ask for another handout.
I did not see anywhere in the article mention of how this business transaction is being financed, especially the public side of the financing. Can you please share more details about it?

Thanks
YDRWatcher

AOL

#4 Jun 5, 2008
BB -- From another YDR article on the development:

"Joseph Howlett said the project would increase the property's tax revenue to about $1.2 million after 10 years. Howlett is the business manager for Spring Grove Area School District.
Currently, the undeveloped land generates annual tax revenue of $12,674 for the district.
Since the property has a Local Economic Revitalization Tax Assistance Act designation, real-estate taxes are phased in over 10 years, Howlett said. Known as LERTA, the act promotes development and improvement of blighted properties while requiring the users to meet specific criteria.
Representatives of the company interested in moving into the park have asked for land improvements to be tax exempt for the first five years after development begins.
In addition, the company has requested that, starting in the sixth year, 20 percent of the assessed value of the land would be taxable, increasing 20 percent each year for the next five years. At that time, the total value of the land would be taxable."

Has anyone seen this property? Mapblast it: it's an older unused farm! Blighted? NO WAY!! Another one of fast Eddie's scams....and unfortunately, a waste of 220 acres of good farmland.

“The Horse Stops Here”

Since: May 08

Littlestown,Pa

#5 Jun 6, 2008
YDRWatcher wrote:
BB -- From another YDR article on the development:
"Joseph Howlett said the project would increase the property's tax revenue to about $1.2 million after 10 years. Howlett is the business manager for Spring Grove Area School District.
Currently, the undeveloped land generates annual tax revenue of $12,674 for the district.
Since the property has a Local Economic Revitalization Tax Assistance Act designation, real-estate taxes are phased in over 10 years, Howlett said. Known as LERTA, the act promotes development and improvement of blighted properties while requiring the users to meet specific criteria.
Representatives of the company interested in moving into the park have asked for land improvements to be tax exempt for the first five years after development begins.
In addition, the company has requested that, starting in the sixth year, 20 percent of the assessed value of the land would be taxable, increasing 20 percent each year for the next five years. At that time, the total value of the land would be taxable."
Has anyone seen this property? Mapblast it: it's an older unused farm! Blighted? NO WAY!! Another one of fast Eddie's scams....and unfortunately, a waste of 220 acres of good farmland.
Its unused so no one wants to farm it. At least it will bring jobs. Look for further plant openings in york county as companies look for good clean plentiful water, public sewer, and rail access. york county has it
YDRWatcher

AOL

#6 Jun 7, 2008
Johns Horse - It is 'unused' because a developer already owns it. Land has become too expensive in York County and farmers can't afford it! The only ones purchasing large tracts of land when they go up for sale are residential and industrial developers. I've been going to farm & land auctions for about 8 years in York County, and most farmers have to walk away empty handed.

Until we have regional planning we will continue to have sprawl. Hopefully higher fuel costs will spur people into reusing land closer to commercial centers that already have public utilities. At the rate we chew up land, all our food will eventually have to be imported!

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more local jobs, but we've got acres of brownfield that could be redeveloped. Instead, fast Eddie gives fraudulent tax breaks to companies ruining good farmland, while our school boards rub their greedy hands together looking at the increased revenue because of our antiquated taxation methods.
Yingling08

Lancaster, PA

#7 Aug 18, 2008
Yingling08@comcast.net

I am very intrested in a position at this plant so please contact me at the above e-mail address when hiring starts.. Thank You ,
Jennifer.
MA FROCK

Westminster, MD

#8 Sep 16, 2008
I'm looking forward to alot of new jobs in this area!
MA FROCK

Westminster, MD

#9 Sep 16, 2008
Please let me know when you start hiring, I'm very interested in working here.I'v heard such wonderful things about your company. My E-Mail is maefrock3954@hotmail.com
THANK YOU Maryann
Maryann Frock

Westminster, MD

#10 Sep 16, 2008
Please contact me when you start hiring. I've been so excited since I heard you were coming to York. I would love to work at your plant. THANK YOU Maryann maefrock3954@hotmail.com
Americans Period

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Sep 16, 2008
YDRWatcher wrote:
Good news and then you pi$$ and moan. Typical American. The farm products grown in York County don't make a pimple on a pigeons a$$ in the overall scheme of things. Visit High Point and cry in your beer.
Ashley

Bridgeport, CT

#12 Sep 16, 2008
this isnot good news there may be more jobs but us citizensin jackson have to pay morein tax to pay forit. Also there is no room in Jackson that is big enough for a plant like this.
Coma Time

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Sep 16, 2008
Geez, dumb a$$. We're talking about Jackson Township, York County, York, PA. Not Jackson, NJ.
Get your head out of your a$$.
Ashley

Bridgeport, CT

#14 Sep 17, 2008
i no that im at my sisters house in NJ. I live in Jackson township, PA.
beno

Red Lion, PA

#15 Nov 10, 2008
couldn't agree more!
YDRWatcher wrote:
beno

Red Lion, PA

#16 Nov 10, 2008
Does anyone know if there will be any Product development in these new buildings? Or will all jobs be production based?

If the former is applicable I'll like to be contacted. Guitarben2000@yahoo.com
Bonnie Cook

United States

#17 Nov 20, 2008
Where and how do you appy for jobs?
Email info to bgccook@hughesnet.com
Linda

Middletown, PA

#18 Nov 21, 2008
Yingling08 wrote:
Yingling08@comcast.net
I am very intrested in a position at this plant so please contact me at the above e-mail address when hiring starts.. Thank You ,
Jennifer.
Pass the information along to me to please, when you hear something on the hiring. I was laid off in April and still trying to find a job that pays what i was use to making. Which is above 12$/hour. Thanks fitmom43@yahoo.com
robert snedeker

Carlisle, PA

#19 Jan 6, 2009
would like to work at your facility and wondering if you had any forklift openings. my email is robertsnedeker1313@hotmail.com
Lenny

Lancaster, PA

#20 Jan 23, 2009
I would really like to work at the facility when it opens. I would be interested in fork lift operator to load and off-load trailers or to operate lift within the plant operation. Also, interested in yard jockey. I have been driving tractor trailers for the past 36 years and lost current job as of 1/21/09. NEED A GOOD JOB, ANY SHIFT ANYTHING.Please pass information when hiring might begin. My.email is lablover5863@comcast.net. THANK YOU

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Church and Dwight Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
More jobs eyed for Arm & Hammer (May '10) Feb '13 beLOWthebelt 23
Church & Dwight to open cat litter production f... (May '11) May '11 Travis Twitt 1
Gov. Rendell announces $2M in grants for local ... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Damn 3
Weak economy good news for Arm & Hammer (Aug '10) Aug '10 Affronted Reader 2
Kitty litter production could be recession-proo... (May '10) May '10 Paterno SUCKS 3
Kitty litter production could be recession-proo... (May '10) May '10 no mercy 2
Church and Dwight plans to bring more business ... (Feb '10) Feb '10 come on 4
More from around the web