Marin Energy Authority begins negotiations with energy suppliers

The Marin Energy Authority has narrowed its search for a wholesaler to sell it the electricity it needs to compete with Pacific Gas and Electric Co. Full Story
Market Watch

Corte Madera, CA

#2 Sep 5, 2009
"However, residents who live in cities who do sign the contract will have the option of keeping PG&E as their energy supplier."

One big missing piece of information in this story....WHEN will we expect to see those opt-out cards in our PG&E bill that Marin Clean Energy assures us will happen? Last year we were suppose to see them this summer. Did we miss it? Will there be plenty of public notice AHEAD of time so that we won't miss it? For those of you who do not know what I am talking about....you will automatically be "enrolled" in the new Marin Clean Energy UNLESS you sign and send in this special "opting out" card and as of the last time I heard, it is suppose to be mailed to you in your PG&E bill but I can never get a straight answer as to WHEN this will happen.
kitty

Mill Valley, CA

#3 Sep 5, 2009
In October, the Marin County Board of Supervisors is scheduled to consider allocating another $170,000 to the authority. A year ago, the supervisors approved an allotment of $330,000. The county will get a significant portion of the money back if the authority goes forward to successfully sell its own electricity.

IF?
Why am I not surprised?
Another permanent ageny created by and for the politically correct class
And if it doesnt work any bets this agency will continue to be maintained with taxpayer subsidies?

Sophocles

United States

#4 Sep 5, 2009
Market Watch - you won't start getting cards until 6 months before your service from Marin Energy Authority is scheduled to start. The latest plan, as I recall, was that MEA would finalize their contract with the energy supplier in February, 2010, and a year later, residential service would start (commercial and government customers will start sooner). You will be notified four times, starting about the middle of 2010. So, if you miss one, you will have three more chances to stay with PG&E. Even if you become an MEA customer, you can still switch back to PG&E.
Market Watch

Corte Madera, CA

#5 Sep 5, 2009
Sophocles wrote:
Market Watch - you won't start getting cards until 6 months before your service from Marin Energy Authority is scheduled to start. The latest plan, as I recall, was that MEA would finalize their contract with the energy supplier in February, 2010, and a year later, residential service would start (commercial and government customers will start sooner). You will be notified four times, starting about the middle of 2010. So, if you miss one, you will have three more chances to stay with PG&E. Even if you become an MEA customer, you can still switch back to PG&E.
Hey there Sophocles: Thanks for the answer to my question. I appreciate it! Marking my calendar now!:)
Think Ahead

San Francisco, CA

#6 Sep 5, 2009
The fact that the MEA can apparently meet PG&E rates while offering power with much high renewable content validates the overall effort and means that Marin will be in the forefront of greening energy supplies and investing local distributed renewable power. Every one who worked toward this goal is to be commended. Now expect PG&E to fight hard with scare tactics to dissuade local councils from approving the contract. The fight for CHOICE and GREEN power options is not yet over.
SMART Energy

Napa, CA

#8 Sep 5, 2009
Think Ahead,
Is this renewable energy MEA wants to buy new or is it already out there? How will I know the energy I’m using is green (because if I buy into MEA, I don’t want electrons generated from fossil fuel)? Why, if PG&E is mandated by the PUC to meet renewable requirements, that they are not able to negotiate green contracts? Are these green suppliers holding on to their energy from the grid until somebody wants to buy it?
MEA is great idea for those who want it. It should not be built on taxpayer money without a vote, and it should not have to use the sleaze tactic of ‘opt out’; that in my mind, is not ‘choice’. This tactic is thinking for me, and I would prefer to think for myself.
Long Term Mull

San Rafael, CA

#9 Sep 5, 2009
I'm already generating much of my own electric power during the day and "banking" it with PG&E. Has anyone seen what would happen to people with solar roofs under the MEA system?
Ride-emCowboy

San Jose, CA

#10 Sep 6, 2009
Under MEA, those with solar roofs would be able to sell any extra energy their panels crete to MEA, meaning we could actually see schools and public buildings become revenue centers if they put panels on their roofs. Under PG & E, you don't get paid for any additional energy you supply PG & E from your solar panels above what you use.

Yes for choice...yes for MEA
Sophocles

United States

#11 Sep 7, 2009
SMART Energy - PG&E can't negotiate renewable contracts because they want hundreds of megawatts at a time. MEA only needs a total of 240 megawatts, which is easier to assemble in smaller amounts. And they are not going to be using any taxpayer funds - any costs they incur will be paid by their ratepayers, just as happens now with PG&E. Do you get to vote on how PG&E spends ratepayer dollars? I didn't think so. And in any case, you can opt for whichever choice you want - you're not compelled to use MEA.
Everett

San Rafael, CA

#12 Sep 7, 2009
Interesting article. Would this new company need to build infrastructure? Shoulds we market them?
Note the PG&E says they will be unable to to meet 2010 renewable deadline.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Constellation Energy Group Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
EDF, Constellation announce deal on US reactor (Oct '10) Nov '11 Johned 11
Construction Begins On Md.'s Largest Solar Project (Sep '11) Sep '11 eric 1
Constellation Energy Management Says it Has a P... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Trisha 1
BGE workers to vote on unionizing (Nov '10) Dec '10 William 2
BGE's customers to get $170 rebate -- Elections... (Apr '08) Oct '10 SJ Strategies LLC 47
Constellation Energy Offering Residential Elect... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Skeptical 1
Deregulation left BGE customers with higher cos... (Jan '08) Jul '10 Scott 26
•••

Constellation Energy Group People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••