Constellation brought the near-collap...

Constellation brought the near-collapse on itself

There are 13 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Sep 18, 2008, titled Constellation brought the near-collapse on itself. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

An aerial view of Constellation Energy's Calvert Cliffs nuclear power plant, on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay in Southern Maryland.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Mike

Windsor Mill, MD

#1 Sep 18, 2008
"The financial theme of 2008, for home buyers or Wall Street tycoons, is borrowing more money than you can handle if things go bad.

It's hard to blame overzealous regulators and business-hating politicians for that."

Amen to that Jay!

You can never regulate stupidity and/or greed and that my friend is exactly what this entire financial mess is all about.
I hate liberals

Towson, MD

#2 Sep 18, 2008
Mayo should be prosecuted and his wife sent back to the white trash farm where she belongs...ps i'm white
I hate liberals

Towson, MD

#3 Sep 18, 2008
prior post that was bleeped stated "wite trrashh"
Fred Lange

Schenectady, NY

#4 Sep 18, 2008
I am amazed how the ‘liberal’ press continues to cut the current crop of robber barons so much slack. As a former employee of CEG who suffered through the Poindexter years and the failed merger with PEPCo and watched as he left with his tail between his legs (and I’m sure a wallet full of stock options); the rise of Mayo fresh off his selling out one of Baltimore’s oldest investment companies to a German company (and reaping a pot of gold in the process), we all knew he was setting CEG up for a takeover. I still get a kick out of the recent Sun report on the top compensated executives in Baltimore and Mayo and three of his cronies are in the top 10. But, all you can talk about now is how Mayo blames the FPL failure on Maryland and the ensuing death spiral of CEG. Put these people in their place!
and they hate you

Baltimore, MD

#5 Sep 18, 2008
I hate liberals wrote:
Mayo should be prosecuted and his wife sent back to the **** farm where she belongs...ps i'm white
whatever
nick stein

Baltimore, MD

#6 Sep 18, 2008
You asked mayo a question and he answered it. Then you extrapolated from his answer to conclude that he was blaming them for Constellation's troubles. Think over your technique and reevaluate.
Hancock Is A Farce

Owings Mills, MD

#7 Sep 18, 2008
How, exactly, did Constellation make terrible bets in energy markets? Their last earnings report sure looked good to me. Jay, how about a little research? This seems like the golden opportunity to dig deep and find a "smoking gun." Something tells me you'll just move on to complaining about some other Baltimore company. What a joke.
Don Klein

Berlin, MD

#8 Sep 18, 2008
Interesting to note that the men responsible for the failure at CEG will get from $3 milion to $48 million in golden parachutes if the deal with MidAmerican goes through, yet the simple stockholders will be compensated at a mere $26.50 a share. The big shots get rewarded handsomely for screwing the shareholders. They should forfeit their exit payoffs and that money should be spread among the shareholders.
Fabby

Woodstock, MD

#9 Sep 19, 2008
Jay Hancock, you should resign from The Sun, you're a sham of a business writer with no clue about Maryland business or Maryland politics.

What about the PEPCO merger where BGE was BUYING, not merging or selling out to another company? To suggest that Maryland's Democrat monopoly political machine had no impact on this company's downfall is pure lunacy. O'Malley grandstanded and won the election based on fighting Constellation Energy and guess what?

O'Malley won, Constellation/BGE lost, the rate payers and tax payers ALSO LOST and will now CONTINUE TO LOSE!

So to further suggest that this is a good thing for Maryland is beyond disgusting. Like I said, you should resign your job. You have no clue Jay Hancock.

And I'm posting this on various websites as I expect it will be removed from BaltimoreSun.com by morning.

Thank you.
Fabby

Woodstock, MD

#10 Sep 19, 2008
Has anyone else noticed that BaltimoreSun.com is now removing comments critical of The Baltimore Sun by re-dating and old article for the next day and deleting all the comments?

If you can't take the HEAT, get OUT of THE SUN WRITERS!
Palace Football Hon

Cockeysville, MD

#11 Sep 19, 2008
How is Mayo Shattuck still living in Baltimore... he is singled handlely making this town a suburb of Washington DC over time... This guy should be run out of this city.
gore

Abingdon, MD

#12 Sep 19, 2008
Does this mean we won't be getting our $170 credit? But seriously, I would like to see who CEG contributed money to this year, especially our fine Gov'nr.
reader

Mount Airy, MD

#13 Sep 19, 2008
you got it fabby. and they also do not allow comments on many articles concerning sheila hopefully to be indicted dixon or marty yo'malley.
Fabby wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that BaltimoreSun.com is now removing comments critical of The Baltimore Sun by re-dating and old article for the next day and deleting all the comments?
If you can't take the HEAT, get OUT of THE SUN WRITERS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Constellation Energy Group Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News EDF, Constellation announce deal on US reactor (Oct '10) Nov '11 Johned 11
News Construction Begins On Md.'s Largest Solar Project (Sep '11) Sep '11 eric 1
News Constellation Energy Management Says it Has a P... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Trisha 1
News BGE workers to vote on unionizing (Nov '10) Dec '10 William 2
News BGE's customers to get $170 rebate -- Elections... (Apr '08) Oct '10 SJ Strategies LLC 47
News Constellation Energy Offering Residential Elect... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Skeptical 1
News Deregulation left BGE customers with higher cos... (Jan '08) Jul '10 Scott 26
More from around the web