Red Wolf Broadcasting Buys Hartford-B...

Red Wolf Broadcasting Buys Hartford-Based Radio Station From Cl...

There are 31 comments on the Hartford Courant story from May 13, 2009, titled Red Wolf Broadcasting Buys Hartford-Based Radio Station From Cl.... In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

WURH is out and WMRQ is back, but the call number remains the same - 104.1. Red Wolf Broadcasting of Ledyard on Wednesday finalized its purchase of Hartford-based WURH-FM 104.1 from Clear Channel Communications and began broadcasting under a former set of call letters, WMRQ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Nicholas

Glastonbury, CT

#1 May 13, 2009
Local ownership -- sound great
safis

New Milford, CT

#2 May 13, 2009
local ownership is great if you know how to make what you own great... but this was one station that clearchannel actually had right for the past year and a half.

For the past year and a half clearchannel had this station be pretty much radio DJ free. Meaning no annoying contests, no cheesy morning show, no news that you could look up on a website, just music and maybe a person that would pop in once every 15 minutes to say and this song was by yada yada who is having a concert in the area soon.

Today i tuned in and it was like 15 minutes of some random radio dj yapping on and on about how the station is live again.... hooray for less music! and the thing they have to announce the station name after every song is the most annoying thing i've ever heard. I know what station i'm on... my car radio lists it right on the display its very unlike the clearchannel stations "voice" that talked like a real person and not some robotic/metalish sounding voice with all kinds of annoying effects on it.
listener

Hartford, CT

#3 May 14, 2009
I truly hope they do not change the format too much I really enjoyed what they were doing. I understand they are trying to indicate the change in ownership but leave a good thing alone.
Hunter S Thompson

Milford, CT

#4 May 14, 2009
They need to bring back those two DJs before that idiot, what's his face......., in the hair band,ill think of it.

Anyway, jake I think his name was, and a girl -beautiful girl btw - were on in the early days of wmrq. Best morning music/show in Connecticut in years.
Timmay

Newington, CT

#5 May 14, 2009
no DJs was great..
but that station has been SO boring since it came back...

anything has to be better than Clear Channel.
Pretty sad when the station that plays mostly early 90s stuff is the "new music" station
JimBob

West Hartford, CT

#6 May 14, 2009
Alternative Radio....keep it real and don't start messing with the format. We like our music, if I want talk, I can find 100 other stations to listen to. Bring in more "college radio" from the 80's....you'll have a terrific following!
Jake

Newington, CT

#7 May 14, 2009
I have been listening to it for a while now. If things change for the worse and they bring in the robo dj's I will be gone!
MH from CT

Plymouth, MN

#8 May 14, 2009
Who really cares about any of this? Does anyone actually listen to 'terrestrial' radio any more anyway?
Radiohead

United States

#9 May 14, 2009
Land based radio - painful as it is sometimes - is worth a listen. The problem is that CT radio mostly s-ucks.

Thank g-o-d for WYBC out of New Haven and college radio. The pre-programmed reggae-Sinatra-death metal-80's stuff on WFCS at Central has more "variety" than any commercial station has ever promised. The teenage djs on WESU are hysterical - they should do more of that. And WQTQ out of Weaver High has got funky down. Too bad WKND didn't stay true.

Long live radio.
Oh yeah: Weav-a mo' bet-tuh...
Radio 104 listener

Hartford, CT

#10 May 14, 2009
Hunter S Thompson wrote:
They need to bring back those two DJs before that idiot, what's his face......., in the hair band,ill think of it.
Anyway, jake I think his name was, and a girl -beautiful girl btw - were on in the early days of wmrq. Best morning music/show in Connecticut in years.
Despite this comment, I really miss Dee Snider and his crew - Beth, Nick the Intern, Darkside Dave, etc. I really wish they would all come back and reprise their morning show. I still see old Dee Euro stickers on cars around CT and long for the good ol' days of 2002.
Mark the Shark

Ramsey, NJ

#11 May 14, 2009
Hunter S Thompson wrote:
Dee Synder. He was totally awsome. I listened to his show every morning. Every now and then I see a DEE window sticker out on the road. I wonder what happened to him

BTW, the great thing about Stern (who is no longer funny) going to satelite is that local radio is trying to make a comeback. Sebastian can be a pain, but at least he is local

IMHO the greatest local radio show was Picozzi and the Horn. I know one of them does afternoons now but they were 10000% better when they were together
jra

Union, ME

#12 May 14, 2009
Clear Channel and the other big stations still own very few radio stations in the U.S.

So why are they selling a lot of their stations for?
Tim

Wethersfield, CT

#13 May 14, 2009
Dee Snider's show was horrible. Just thinking about how terrible that show was gives me the chills.
TrueRadioFreak

Plymouth, MN

#14 May 14, 2009
Mark the Shark wrote:
<quoted text>

IMHO the greatest local radio show was Picozzi and the Horn. I know one of them does afternoons now but they were 10000% better when they were together
So wrong.

None of these 'deejays' were any good and they ALL followed the SAME pattern.

Just keep em' off the air and play more music. I'll even listen to more commercials if they can keep these parrots off the air.
M Jodi Rell

Newington, CT

#15 May 14, 2009
Radiohead wrote:
Land based radio - painful as it is sometimes - is worth a listen. The problem is that CT radio mostly s-ucks.
Thank g-o-d for WYBC out of New Haven and college radio. The pre-programmed reggae-Sinatra-death metal-80's stuff on WFCS at Central has more "variety" than any commercial station has ever promised. The teenage djs on WESU are hysterical - they should do more of that. And WQTQ out of Weaver High has got funky down. Too bad WKND didn't stay true.
Long live radio.
Oh yeah: Weav-a mo' bet-tuh...
Agree, try WRTC - Trinity; WWUH - UHart; WHUS - UConn
Ever Since

Mansfield Center, CT

#16 May 14, 2009
Ever since it went south YEARS ago....no one I know listens to this station. Maybe - finally - it will return to GOOD music?
Rebecca

New Haven, CT

#17 May 14, 2009
I listened to the "new" station this morning and I liked the music better already. WURH played a lot of same songs over and again- if I heard Fastball's hit one more time... so this should have more variety. Just please keep DJ chatter to a minimum and NO morning show- only station in the morning where you can listen to just music.
Radiohead

United States

#18 May 14, 2009
Thanks, M. Jodi - I didn't know you were cool on the DL.

P.S. If I could get WPKN better in the Hartford area, I'd listen to that, too.
Fred Manteghian

Harwinton, CT

#19 May 14, 2009
I'm going to point you to my blog - I was so infuriated at what I've heard and read so far (tripling the staff?? that means non-stop talking heads, making it the same as every other stupid station in Connecticut: http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/fredmanteghian/...
thekid

Middlefield, CT

#20 May 14, 2009
i dont think dave matthews fans even want to hear the b side of a dave matthews album...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Clear Channel Communications Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News SHE 103.5 FM Is No Longer 'Only Rock and Roll,'... (Jun '12) May '15 Will Dockery 20
News Brother Wease returns to airwaves on WFXF, 95.1... (Feb '08) Aug '14 Semper Fi Forever 439
News Darryl Parks fired by Clear Channel (Nov '13) Nov '13 Kelley Loetscher 1
News Clear Channel eliminates Orlando-area traffic r... (Nov '07) Mar '13 Keith Williams 23
News Media Decoder Blog: WOR-AM, Prominent New York ... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Trenchpress 1
News Morning man Matthews out at B104, station says (Sep '06) Jun '12 DCD 215
Old Management Postings? (Mar '12) Mar '12 Biz student 1
More from around the web