Circuit City to begin liquidation

Circuit City to begin liquidation

There are 75 comments on the Arizona Republic story from Nov 4, 2008, titled Circuit City to begin liquidation. In it, Arizona Republic reports that:

Double-punched by credit problems and a shopping slowdown, Circuit City Stores Inc.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Arizona Republic.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
jzride

Clearwater, FL

#1 Nov 5, 2008
I went to Circuit City today(11/5/08) to see if there were any real deals/aren't any. TV's marked down 10%, computers 5%, Ipods 5%, stereo equipment 10%. Sounds decent but their prices are higher to start with compared to other places online or around town.
Looking at an LCD TV and offered 20% off their price and they wouldn't budge even with cash in hand. They said everyone is paying with cash so not a bargaining chip and that they can't negotiate prices. I guess I will wait for future markdowns b/c the TV's were not moving from what I could tell.
I ask a guy working there when they plan to have the next wave of markdowns and he didn't know if or when there would be one. He also said that based on merchandise leaving the store today they may not have to mark down any further. I disagree with his assesment b/c of my sample of 10 people leaving the store only 2 of them purchased anything. The others like me left empty handed and wished I had that time wasted back.
ally

Richmond, VA

#2 Nov 5, 2008
well i work at the circuit city in warner robins, okay, i agree with a little bit about what you are saying. it is not under our control how much our products go on sale. isn't it bad enough that we are losing our fricking jobs. so show some sympathy. and at my store right now we have sold a lot of our products. so there might not be another mark down.
Az Native

Phoenix, AZ

#3 Nov 7, 2008
[jingle] welcome to Circuit City where service is state-of-the-art [/jingle]
Az Native

Phoenix, AZ

#4 Nov 7, 2008
jzride wrote:
I went to Circuit City today(11/5/08) to see if there were any real deals/aren't any. TV's marked down 10%, computers 5%, Ipods 5%, stereo equipment 10%. Sounds decent but their prices are higher to start with compared to other places online or around town.
Looking at an LCD TV and offered 20% off their price and they wouldn't budge even with cash in hand. They said everyone is paying with cash so not a bargaining chip and that they can't negotiate prices. I guess I will wait for future markdowns b/c the TV's were not moving from what I could tell.
I ask a guy working there when they plan to have the next wave of markdowns and he didn't know if or when there would be one. He also said that based on merchandise leaving the store today they may not have to mark down any further. I disagree with his assesment b/c of my sample of 10 people leaving the store only 2 of them purchased anything. The others like me left empty handed and wished I had that time wasted back.
Yeah man, I went to circuit city last time and crap there was over priced. they're not being competitive and look what happened.
simon yoen

Maywood, CA

#5 Nov 8, 2008
pretty soon they will file bankruptcy
simon yoen

Maywood, CA

#6 Nov 8, 2008
they have a lot of damages going out to the customer
Bag of Bones

Ozark, MO

#7 Nov 15, 2008
They had the worst sales people I have ever encountered.

I went to purchase a new computer. Three ' 20somethings '(kids) standing near the register in electronics, talking to themselves. I spent at least 10 minures walking from display to display reading about the computers, occasionally looking over to them, thinking I may catch an eye?

Never happened. None of them came to ask ...to be of assistance.

I left, drove to Best Buy and spent my money.
DennisN

San Diego, CA

#8 Nov 15, 2008
Bag of Bones wrote:
They had the worst sales people I have ever encountered.
I went to purchase a new computer. Three ' 20somethings '(kids) standing near the register in electronics, talking to themselves. I spent at least 10 minures walking from display to display reading about the computers, occasionally looking over to them, thinking I may catch an eye?
Never happened. None of them came to ask ...to be of assistance.
I left, drove to Best Buy and spent my money.
I feel I'm close to right by saying these people will be out of existence come Feb. or Mar of next year.
I think I'm close to being correct by saying these people will be gone come Feb. or Mar. of next year.
Laura

San Diego, CA

#9 Nov 17, 2008
Circut City has always had high prices. I went there to buy a home theater system and the guy kept telling us a bunch of bull. Being a sales person myself I was on to his game. When I called him on it he got very rude. So needless to say I don't like the store anyway and then when I went to look at thier sales they were all a bunch of BULL just like the sales person.
Wow

Beaumont, TX

#10 Nov 19, 2008
So far I have read a comment from a person with convenient store mentality. Dude if you pay say 1200.00 for a tv, we should sell it to you for 20 percent off right? What an opportunistic vulture. Most people who complain, are never happy to begin with. The same complaints one of you said about no service. This is why people don't shop at Best Buy in our area. I bet you they asked if you needed help and you answered like most everyone else,No thanks, I am just looking. Then you expect mind readers to know when you changed your mind. Laura, you seem to be an expert you should know it all so you don't need to shop, just find the price and buy it. Most people when excited about something they believe in will be enthusiastic with their approach. It is called being positive. At Circuit City there is NO commision so what would be the advantage of feeding you full of BULL? I think the BULL is in your attitude. I hope you feel better, because your life sounds to be quite miserable.
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

Palermo, CA

#11 Nov 19, 2008
Wow wrote:
So far I have read a comment from a person with convenient store mentality. Dude if you pay say 1200.00 for a tv, we should sell it to you for 20 percent off right? What an opportunistic vulture. Most people who complain, are never happy to begin with. The same complaints one of you said about no service. This is why people don't shop at Best Buy in our area. I bet you they asked if you needed help and you answered like most everyone else,No thanks, I am just looking. Then you expect mind readers to know when you changed your mind. Laura, you seem to be an expert you should know it all so you don't need to shop, just find the price and buy it. Most people when excited about something they believe in will be enthusiastic with their approach. It is called being positive. At Circuit City there is NO commision so what would be the advantage of feeding you full of BULL? I think the BULL is in your attitude. I hope you feel better, because your life sounds to be quite miserable.
Thank you! I have heard about enough from the Best Buy People crapping all over Circuit City - I have been a loyal CC shopper for 20 years and have also shopped Best Buy when the needed (after CC quite selling appliances) My experiences with BB are no different that the complaints listed above regarding CC in fact the are even less knowledgable. You can't take one experience and make it you lifes opinion everyone has an off day and every company hires some Duds. I have worked in Corporate America for 25+ years and seen my fair share of them. Give it a rest in this troubling economic time think of the people who will be in bread line as we conitnue to sprial down - Guess you have negative thinks to say about all other retailers closing stores or whole companies - any additional comments about the big 3 auto makers going under - banks, AIG, etc this is tough times and no ones need such negativity - just prayers we all end up alright in the end!
Bag of Bones

West Plains, MO

#12 Nov 20, 2008
Yah, Kalifornia sure needs prayers. The entire State about to go bankrupt.

Good luck with that!
Dave

Allentown, PA

#13 Nov 20, 2008
jzride wrote:
I went to Circuit City today(11/5/08) to see if there were any real deals/aren't any. TV's marked down 10%, computers 5%, Ipods 5%, stereo equipment 10%. Sounds decent but their prices are higher to start with compared to other places online or around town.
Looking at an LCD TV and offered 20% off their price and they wouldn't budge even with cash in hand. They said everyone is paying with cash so not a bargaining chip and that they can't negotiate prices. I guess I will wait for future markdowns b/c the TV's were not moving from what I could tell.
I ask a guy working there when they plan to have the next wave of markdowns and he didn't know if or when there would be one. He also said that based on merchandise leaving the store today they may not have to mark down any further. I disagree with his assesment b/c of my sample of 10 people leaving the store only 2 of them purchased anything. The others like me left empty handed and wished I had that time wasted back.
Prices for Ipods are the same whether you go to CC Best Buy or Wal Mart u dumb ass
Dave

Allentown, PA

#14 Nov 20, 2008
Bag of Bones wrote:
They had the worst sales people I have ever encountered.
I went to purchase a new computer. Three ' 20somethings '(kids) standing near the register in electronics, talking to themselves. I spent at least 10 minures walking from display to display reading about the computers, occasionally looking over to them, thinking I may catch an eye?
Never happened. None of them came to ask ...to be of assistance.
I left, drove to Best Buy and spent my money.
Why would you not ask for help you idiot. Are you so good that they have to come to you? You are the guy that complains when sales people ask you if you need help.
Your Mom

Richmond, VA

#15 Nov 24, 2008
Well, here is the deal. Does circuit have some things they could fix around customers journeys, YES!! But here is the deal with the rest of you dumb a$$es on this talking crap about Circuit. If you dont like fine dont shop there!! Stop talking crazy about your stupid views!! Your mad because you have a crap job that pays you a crap pay and you think you can act tough on your PC!! Everyone working in the US has a chance there job could be lost!!!! Hope people come to you and laugh about your lost JOB!! Very funny!!!! The US is filled with dumb people like YOU!! Maybe you should go to the #1 retail Walmart!! Great service!!HAHAHAHA the 95 year old door greater is very smart!!
Badnews

Macungie, PA

#16 Nov 24, 2008
The 95 year old IS smart she has a job with the only retail company still making money
Your Mom wrote:
Well, here is the deal. Does circuit have some things they could fix around customers journeys, YES!! But here is the deal with the rest of you dumb a$$es on this talking crap about Circuit. If you dont like fine dont shop there!! Stop talking crazy about your stupid views!! Your mad because you have a crap job that pays you a crap pay and you think you can act tough on your PC!! Everyone working in the US has a chance there job could be lost!!!! Hope people come to you and laugh about your lost JOB!! Very funny!!!! The US is filled with dumb people like YOU!! Maybe you should go to the #1 retail Walmart!! Great service!!HAHAHAHA the 95 year old door greater is very smart!!
Matt

Murfreesboro, TN

#17 Nov 24, 2008
I want to remind everyone...namely jzride, that it is a "liquidation sale", and the prices are completely out of the hands of Circuit City. They hire "liquidators" to come in and based on the time frame they have to work with, sale off all the product with as much profit as possible.
Since Circuit City doesn't make any money on their TV's anyway (Circuit City, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc...are all in the business of accessories and only sale the product in hopes of making profit off the accessories with that product, i.e. overpriced cables, warranties, etc..) they are still taking a loss on the product and will, as it gets closer to December 31st, mark things down even further until they sale everything.
This happens all the time in liquidation sales and I'm surprised that anyone would go in during the first couple weeks of the sale and expect some huge discount...try going back in mid December and dig through the few items that are left for the best deal.
jzride wrote:
I went to Circuit City today(11/5/08) to see if there were any real deals/aren't any. TV's marked down 10%, computers 5%, Ipods 5%, stereo equipment 10%. Sounds decent but their prices are higher to start with compared to other places online or around town.
Looking at an LCD TV and offered 20% off their price and they wouldn't budge even with cash in hand. They said everyone is paying with cash so not a bargaining chip and that they can't negotiate prices. I guess I will wait for future markdowns b/c the TV's were not moving from what I could tell.
I ask a guy working there when they plan to have the next wave of markdowns and he didn't know if or when there would be one. He also said that based on merchandise leaving the store today they may not have to mark down any further. I disagree with his assesment b/c of my sample of 10 people leaving the store only 2 of them purchased anything. The others like me left empty handed and wished I had that time wasted back.
Kyle P

Scottsdale, AZ

#18 Nov 25, 2008
Ok listen up homo, I worked in every department of CC for the past year now and let me tell you something you ignorant prick. We wake up every single day and go to work just like most people and one day we all come in to our winter meeting to find out that we are all losing our jobs and never gonna see each other again after christmas. It's @$$holes like you that have to come in and bag on us for not having good prices and complain when it isn't our fault and we are having a hard enough time coming in and focusing on pricks like you when we know at the end of the day our job will be gone. Maybe next time you should take the time to say, wow I'm pretty sorry, instead of wow I'd like to speak to your manager because I'm a stingy prick that wants a discount.
Sincerely,
Your Home Theater Salesman, Kyle P
Francis

Santa Ana, CA

#19 Nov 26, 2008
Kyle P wrote:
Ok listen up homo, I worked in every department of CC for the past year now and let me tell you something you ignorant prick. We wake up every single day and go to work just like most people and one day we all come in to our winter meeting to find out that we are all losing our jobs and never gonna see each other again after christmas. It's @$$holes like you that have to come in and bag on us for not having good prices and complain when it isn't our fault and we are having a hard enough time coming in and focusing on pricks like you when we know at the end of the day our job will be gone. Maybe next time you should take the time to say, wow I'm pretty sorry, instead of wow I'd like to speak to your manager because I'm a stingy prick that wants a discount.
Sincerely,
Your Home Theater Salesman, Kyle P
I work at bestbuy... and I feel sorry for those people who'll lose their job.. You guys dont deserve it.. I mean i understand what u are feeling.. After all the hardwork that you did. It's always hard to say goodbye on something where u've form a bond with. Its hard to leave the people that you've been working for the past 2 or 5 or 10 yrs. I hope there's something that we could do. Just think of this as an opprotunity for a brand new start.. though i know it'll be hard especially with the economy going down.

Since: Nov 08

Ahmedabad, India

#20 Nov 26, 2008
i don't know much more about this city. i just know only circuit city is high cost city..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Circuit City Stores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Micro Center opening stores in Brooklyn, Queens (Mar '14) Mar '14 Jeff Graber 1
FireDog Car install (Mar '09) Oct '13 FD Installer CCity 8
News Changes for the S&P 500 Index (Mar '08) Sep '12 Faisal 2
News Best Buy staffing changes draw Circuit City com... (Apr '09) Dec '11 John 62
News Circuit City closing 1 Orlando location; 20 per... (Nov '08) Nov '11 YEP 65
Circuit City 2009 Tax w-2 Information (Feb '10) Sep '11 brian 26
News Bell Canada to buy Circuit City's The Source (Jul '11) Aug '11 Marketing Bell Al... 3
More from around the web