Local TV is no longer a cash cow -- M...

Local TV is no longer a cash cow -- Media, New York, CBS Corpor...

There are 20 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Apr 3, 2008, titled Local TV is no longer a cash cow -- Media, New York, CBS Corpor.... In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

For decades, local TV stations in cities like Baltimore were cash cows for the companies that owned them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

djm

Detroit, MI

#1 Apr 3, 2008
Actually, this could be a very good thing for the viewing audiences and markets across the country. No longer will the viewing audience be forced to watch local tv stations try to cram 10 minutes of real local news into a two hour broadcast. No longer will we have to sit and watch a "story" presented as news update, when it has been on the airwaves for two days prior to that day. Maybe now producers and anchors of newstations will realize what the viewers want and that is local news, without editorials about the stories, stations tripping over each other for better footage but rather just let the reporters report the stories. No bells, no whistles..just report the local news and let the national desks do their jobs. Stick to what you can do well and don't try to be something you are not.
Norris

Rosedale, MD

#2 Apr 3, 2008
Between puff pieces and magazine journalism, along with sound bit reports, what's to watch? Or listen? First, Fox 63 is fair and balanced. Second, talk radio is far more honest. And finally, if you already know the news from the internet or other outlets, what's the point of messing up a good dinner? I can watch only so many repititious reports in a day. Sports and weather are the only diversions. Local TV is about as relevant as the rest of the pap on the tube. Bring on another 100 cable channels. Maybe people will learn to read and think for themselves. What a concept!
flyingcow

United States

#3 Apr 3, 2008
TV is "a vast wasteland"
with 300+ channels
of krappe shows
to choose from--
add the fake news
and
why bother....?
Jeff

Sussex, WI

#4 Apr 3, 2008
Who were the 4 people let go by WJZ & what were their positions? How about filling the story with that part of pertinent information?
TruthTeller

Somerset, NJ

#5 Apr 3, 2008
Forty-five percent profit? Gee, why haven't the whiny Democrats gone after the "evil rich" owners of television stations? They are always on the backs of the oil companies for "excessive profits", but their profit margin is typically only NINE percent on oil.
Chris

Peabody, MA

#6 Apr 3, 2008
Up here in Boston, WBZ (CBS) cut 30 people on Monday and followed that up with three high-profile on-air people the next day. This is big, because it heralds the end of an era for local TV news...not just in Boston, but everywhere. To a large degree, local TV news caused their own demise:
1.) Too many commercials. The clear feeling is that local TV news serves as nothing more than glue holding car and furniture store commercials together. I don't want someone to scream 'See Your New England Kia Dealer TODAY!" at me one minute and then someone else screaming 'See Your New England Dodge Dealer TODAY!' the next.
2.) Too much of that inane 'yuck-yuck' anchor banter. Not much to add there; they all do it and they all look and sound stupid.
3.) Don't 'BREAKING NEWS!!' us to death. There's a little story about 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf' you all ought to read.
4.) Don't send a reporter out to a big story and then have him (or her) say that 'Officials aren't commenting,' or 'A spokesperson was unavailable for comment.'
5.) Why is it that weather-forecasting technology is better and more advanced than ever, while the forecasts themselves are getting worse??
6.) You may well think of yourself as 'THE News LEADER!!!,' but I already read your 'Top Story' on the Internet seven hours before and know more about it than you reported.
frank

Baltimore, MD

#7 Apr 3, 2008
nice,consise article
Lizzie

Baltimore, MD

#8 Apr 3, 2008
We stopped watching TV news years ago. Sometimes we tune in and try to catch sports, but that's about it. You can read the news online at your own convenience.
Ghost Oriole

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Apr 3, 2008
Local TV is such a formula that you can change the station at any given moment and the competing station will be at EXACTLY the same point in their broadcast.

Watching weather? Switch the channel to see the other channel's weather? Sports-----sports.

Is it any surprise that the Internet has eliminated the need to wait for 20 minutes to see if it's going to rain tomorrow?
Zombie

Columbia, MD

#10 Apr 3, 2008
TV is mostly crap. The "news" is trash oriented towards morons. Take a chance and try appealing to literate people.
Dave

Severna Park, MD

#11 Apr 3, 2008
The stations might become more profitable and up their viewership if the news didn't focus only on Murders, Rapes, Arson, Down Economy, Layoffs, Molestations, Kidnappings and Sexual Abuse of children for 80% of the broadcast.

Take note. The local news is UNWATCHABLE !!!!!!!
Sandi

United States

#12 Apr 3, 2008
Get rid of the PAID PROGRAMMING crap that's on all weekend long. With all the available channels on cable or satelite, why is there no choice or anything decent on? They repeat the same stories, same products, same crap day after day. Maybe I'm missing something but TV (ALL TV) has gone to the dogs
Chris

Peabody, MA

#13 Apr 3, 2008
First, I believe TV news IS profitable. The wish is for fatter profits than they are now getting. Don't think for a minute that these are money-losing entities, because they're not. As for what it will take to turn this around, only TV news consultants have a dog in that hunt. Their livelihood depends on there being 'ways to turn things around.' But you and I know that the horse has left the barn, and the Internet gives us all that we need, when we need it. No one has to make a 'date' to rush home for the 6pm newscast any more when the Internet can give you the 4-1-1 throughout the day.
Chris

Peabody, MA

#14 Apr 3, 2008
PAID PROGRAMMING is a euphemism for 'How can we make up for plummeting ad rates so that we can STILL pay our anchors six-figure salaries?' Paid Programming is pure profit: they get paid to run a no-cost-to-them 'commercial.' If your local newscast isn't delivering eyeballs then ad rates have to collapse (and they are). To keep their high-priced talent 'living large,' stations have to saddle-up with infomercials about vacuums and blenders all day Saturday and Sunday. It's what they do.
Pete

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#15 Apr 3, 2008
Don't pity TV. People go where there is relevant content. That could be the Internet or AM radio.

Local news squandered the viewer trust with stupid stunts, tricks and sweeps stories. Instead of doing something no one else could do, which is relevant local news, they went bottom of the barrel., using the news to promote TV shows, celebrity gossip etc. And they also focused on women viewers only. So the men went away from local news and haven;t looked back.

I ilke how they are still trying to "figure things out". While thyeare figuring out new media is being created leaving TV news in the dust.
Angela of Parkville

Washington, DC

#16 Apr 3, 2008
WOW !!! Was this an eye opener. Times are REALLY BAD when we can't afford to keep our community news broadcasting stations afloat. This just goes to show that the people/jobs that you would think were SAFE jobs are just as expendable as the average JOE so to speak....It's a sad commentary. Being raised on watching all three stations...and seeing familiar anchors every morning, afternoon, and evening I hope there will NOT be anymore layoffs/firings because I do look forward to seeing all the anchors. I DO believe in having DEPENDABLE ANCHORS.

KEEP THE FAITH!!
Chris

Pepperell, MA

#17 Apr 4, 2008
Sadly for them, the days of 'womb-to-the-tomb' employment for TV news anchors and reporters have ended. Now these people are like the rest of us. Welcome to The Real World.
Strider

Daytona Beach, FL

#18 Apr 4, 2008
Chris wrote:
Sadly for them, the days of 'womb-to-the-tomb' employment for TV news anchors and reporters have ended. Now these people are like the rest of us. Welcome to The Real World.
Job security has never been high in broadcasting. I recall talent being fired right and left back in the '70s -- and that was in a small market. Sometimes it seemed like local news was a revolving door.
cable stations

Mooresville, IN

#19 Apr 8, 2008
very interesting article..what do you see happening with local cable news stations that broadcast news 24/7? all the major networks are pulling back, but as most people know, cable news pays significantly lower than the affiliate stations. do you expect to see the same trend following with them also?
Homer

York, PA

#20 Apr 16, 2008
Norris, you are a knucklehead dude. Not defending TV news, which tends to be pretty weak. But you get your "news" from talk radio?

Talk radio is nothing but slanted opinion, with no objectivity and no devotion to the truth.

Not saying local TV news is great, but it tries a lot harder to be objective than talk radio and is a helluva lot more fact-based.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coastal Bancorp Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Judge won't dismiss $750M defamation suit by Jo... Feb 10 Anonymous 39
News Channel 2 whacks anchor Mary Ann Childers, 17 o... (Mar '08) Nov '16 Chs7741 314
News No Townshend for Super Bowl (Nov '09) Dec '12 PSty 21
News Profits, CEO paychecks up big time at U.S. comp... (May '12) May '12 DueDiligenceTactics 2
News ETLes Moonves And Julie Chen Welcome Baby (Sep '09) Sep '09 Steen 1
News Quotes: Walter Cronkite Remembered (Jul '09) Jul '09 HEY 5
News NY Lawmakers Call for Letterman to be Fired Ove... (Jun '09) Jun '09 unreal 2
More from around the web