Caterpillar Strike
Insider

Peoria, IL

#1 Aug 3, 2012
The Union has lost. Union members are begging for Cat to make another offer. They will approve anything right now. They just want the pot sweetened a little so they can save face. That is not going to happen because Caterpillar doesn't want you back. The attitude is better and the people here want to do a good job. I think it is refreshing when I walk by the break areas at 9am and 1pm and the only people sitting there is the Group O employees. The Cat People are still working...refreshing. Watch the folks enter the facility...what!! No newspapers! The gall of these people coming in here and doing what they are asked to do without a complaint. It sure has to be disheartening to strike in front of a facility with a completely full parking lot. Four months have gone by and all you have to show for yourself is an empty wallet. You say you're striking for the younger workers... Hmm, is that what you said when you agreed to the two tier wage scale back in the 90's? I guess the younger workers didn't matter back then. Again, I'll say it again Cat is glad you're gone, that is why there will be no better contract offer. Keep your "self-entitled" attitudes that averaged 80k plus a year with OT on Rt 6.
POPPY

Oviedo, FL

#2 Aug 3, 2012
Wow! I feel so sorry for you, like sheep headed to the slaughter house!
Insider

Peoria, IL

#3 Aug 5, 2012
I'm not the one to feel sorry for. It is the misguided union members that you should be feeling sorry for. Some of my friends are union members and they feel the same way. I know for a fact the union members are being misled by their leadership. My angst is only with the union members that are lazy and feel like Caterpillar owes them something. The strike is a dose of reality for the "self entitled" that thinks everybody makes 23 bucks an hour. They call themselves highly skilled machinists. Are they? They are all trained to be button pushers. Some of these so called highly skilled folks cannot even read a gage correctly. The few skilled guys help out the lesser skilled guys to keep them from being fired. There is about 2 or 3 highly skilled union guy in each department per shift. The rest are just people loading and unloading parts.

It is the union leaders sending their own people to the slaughter house. Not me.

Since: Aug 12

Lady Lake, FL

#5 Aug 9, 2012
If things are so great in there, why not proudly say who you are? Just curious, are you salary or a low life scab that has crossed and then hopes to later reap the benefits of what we are fighting for? Hope you choke on your pig roast tomorrow. I find it amusing the company must offer free meals, magnificent Mondays with ice cream / popcorn and now a pig roast to try and boost the moral that u imply is higher than ever.
Proud IAM member
Tim Darling
dose of reality

United States

#6 Aug 9, 2012
Pig roast...how fitting.

Since: Aug 12

Lady Lake, FL

#7 Aug 9, 2012
And btw "insider", I'm on strike. Do you know what that means? It means I am not "begging" Cat for shit. It means that i am demanding that me and my brothers and sisters get a fair contract. I do know salary employees that are begging for us to come back though. And as far as entitled? I worked my way up from $8.35 an hour. So yes, I think I've earned what I am getting paid.
vocolizer70

Morris, IL

#8 Aug 9, 2012
insider you are a liar no good floor flushing scab loveing pos ! your talking to the iam in the wrong tone . button pushers huh then why has my boss called me twice to come back ????? sounds like your a propaganda poster child for cat . And by the my name is tim anderson a proud union member of the IAM 851 !!!!!!!
Not falling for it

Crest Hill, IL

#9 Aug 9, 2012
After reading this I have come to the conclusionthat this is just a scab trying his/her best to rile people up. Not to mention the contradictions galore, but I will point out the most glaring: "I think it is refreshing when I walk by the break areas at 9am and 1pm and the only people sitting there is the Group O employees. The Cat People are still working...refreshing." If you are walking around to notice "Group O" on break that tells me 2 things, First: you are not doing your job at those times which means you are taking a break from your machine and 2: That the ones not in those break areas are most likely afraid of slowing down and being fired. There are no "complaints" because, again, people are fearful of losing a paycheck. It's no secret that there was a stockpile of parts to be used, so anything shipping out was done by us anyway. And lazy? We could only go as fast as the machine allowed and those machines were pushed to the max. BTW, it's not Cat that doesn't want us back, it's the scabs that don't. They know that they are in for a dose of reality when we walk through those doors. It is THEY that are scared once again. When we walk back in, with whatever contract we have, WE the Members of LL851 will be stronger and more united than ever before. See you soon Insider...
dose of reality

United States

#10 Aug 9, 2012
Can anyone say can o worms. My family sticks together insider.
Not falling for it

Crest Hill, IL

#11 Aug 9, 2012
And Insider, after the call I got last night about what is going on in there, you are not fooling anyone. If you are not worried about being carried out in an ambulance you are fearful of running scrap and being let go. That is if you are not one of the office workers running things. Shall we talk about the abundance of scrap piling up? Or would you like to discuss the majority of contingency workers begging for us to come back? The floor is yours
Insider 2

Glenview Nas, IL

#12 Aug 9, 2012
I'll take a little from column A and a little from columb B. It is definitely not as rosy as Cat makes it seem, but that is because they have new people on every machine, replacing the engineers so they can get back to their regular jobs. But it also is nowhere near as bad as the union makes it out to be. Sure, there are machines down, but weren't there always??? Wasn't there always scrap??? And if you are going to try to tell me that the machines were always pushed to the max, you might as well go start a new day job as a comedian somewhere. CAT got pissed when after a couple months the people running the machines were out producing guys with 15+ years. But anyway, I expect a multi-billion dollar international corporation to stretch the truth a little, but I didnt expect the union to lie to its "family" members. And they way you guys talk about ruining the lives of someone just trying to provide for their family, YOU GUYS ARE WORSE THAN CAT!!!!
vocolizer70

Morris, IL

#13 Aug 10, 2012
i heard from your truckers you got all of dock 2 filled with scrap and lined up in aisles and alot of the machines arnt running cuz you guys cant run them !!!! and hell no we are not worse than cat !!! we would never steal from the poor to give to the rich !!!!!!
vocolizer70

Morris, IL

#14 Aug 10, 2012
and misguided lets see 6 year pay freeze,triple our insurance ,no cola ,unlimited loan outs thats a royal screwing !!!!!!!!!!
Wife of IAM 851 Striker

United States

#15 Aug 10, 2012
This sounds like a management comment to me: I think it is refreshing when I walk by the break areas at 9am and 1pm and the only people sitting there is the Group O employees. This was started for the purpose of causing trouble and is childish and immature.....Hey Insider karma is a bitch....be careful! And no I am not threatening you just reminding you about karma.....no one is exempt.
Chris Deats

Waterloo, IA

#16 Aug 10, 2012
I don't have anyone on the inside to feed me propaganda one way or another. I never took breaks anywhere near group O scabs anyway. INSIDER sounds like another low level new supervisor that doesn't have a clue what it's like or what it takes to run one of those worn out machines with worn out tooling and sub par material.
Inside her too

Crest Hill, IL

#17 Aug 10, 2012
It was so refreshing to cross the street from one side of the picket line to the other today when Governor Quinn showed up and see Kendra and her flying monkey Mike Smith sitting in the company vehicle, watching with no control over the situation. I can imagine the conversation going like this: Hey Kendra? Yes my little monkey? Who is this guy showing up that thinks he has more power and is more important than us? I don't know little monkey, doesn't he know who we are? Should we worry, Kendra? Ys monkey, we should
stopfatCAT

United States

#18 Aug 10, 2012
53 signatures and counting...sign and put families back to work!
Shooting for 100 next, so please pass the word. NUMBERS will make CAT customers take a BOYCOTT seriously- send this link to friends:
tinyurl.com (add forward slash)cdov157
Follow on Twitter (at)stopfatcat and use hashtag #boycottCat
Insider: Hey, Sandusky- didn't know they already let you use a computer! Fc uk you scab.
Fairness Now

Plainfield, IL

#19 Aug 10, 2012
Insider, you are full of it. Obviously you are a supervisor if you are walking around checking break areas at 9 & 1. We have seen the ambulances coming out with lights on, so much for that safety record that used to be so important!!! Heard you even had somebody with a broken leg. We've also seen the cop cars coming & going, sometimes with passengers in the back. Nothing like quality workers! An inside source said some women are scared to walk through the shop, that it feels like a slum or prison yard in there. Pretty desperate when you're having to fly people in from out of state! Many of our members have had calls from supervisors BEGGING them to come back. That's the only begging I've heard of. Yes, we want to get back to work. But only if we get a FAIR contract! We are not ready to give up & take any piece of crap the company offers. We deserve and are worth a fair offer. We are not greedy, are not asking for a 42-60% increase like Doug O got. Cost of living would be good, raises for the newer people, align the pay & benefits of the newer people with the pre-2005 people! Get rid of the seniority/union busting provisions & we MIGHT be able to come to an agreement. But saying "we are willing to meet as soon as the union is willing to deal realistically with the issues" is not bargaining in good faith, when you're idea of realistic means we have to lay down & take 100% of the garbage you offer! Negotiating means you give a bit, we give a bit. We have given & given, but all you've done is take. We want our jobs back, many of us are just a few short years or less from retirement. We are willing to come back & bust our butts as we always have, as soon as we get a FAIR CONTRACT!
east peorian

United States

#21 Aug 11, 2012
Well I can tell you being from another plant that relies on the parts coming from Jokier that it has definitely effected us. I work in building As in east peoria and assemble the bull dozers from D 6's through D-11's. We are on a two week shut down due to no parts from your plant. We finally have gotten to the parts supplied to us by the mtg and union busters and have rejected 89%. I know the exact % because I am in the quality department. The plant manager called for a 2 week shut down to try to possibly get this situation taken care of by the unskilled labor now in the Jokiet facility. For anyone who thinks they are fine without the skilled union employee come to east peoria and look at the semi loads we're sending back. I see more layoffs coming due to the lack of quality parts in the east peoria area.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Caterpillar Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CAT C15 help!! (Jun '08) Thu Shayne 164
Cat engine 3126 (Oct '06) Sep 16 SuperlateH24 730
Cat 3204 di engine (Dec '08) Aug 31 Alowe 8
c15 acert runs rough (Sep '12) Aug 31 W900Dhillon 39
3406 b it will run but wont start (Apr '13) Aug 28 Trey 11
cat 3406e diesel specs (Feb '07) Aug 28 Chris 139
The new C15 acert engine (Jan '06) Aug 28 Part timer 865
More from around the web