Cat 3126 oil fill ( i know i'm stupid...

Cat 3126 oil fill ( i know i'm stupid, please help)

Posted in the Caterpillar Forum

ChrisInKC

Independence, MO

#1 Sep 22, 2008
This will be the first time I have changed my oil myself. I feel pretty stupid as I cant decide where to add the new oil. I am confused between the oil fill, power steering and which is which. I know the power steering is hooked to the braking system, it is the oil pump all connected also? Which fill cap do I put my oil in!?
3126 in a 99 GMC box truck chassis
Thanks
Chris

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#2 Sep 22, 2008
ok there are two possible locations for the engine oil filler cap. either on top of your engine (on the valve cover) or on the front structure of the engine (timing gear cover). the power steering is not connected in any way to the braking system, attleast it shouldnt, and uses hydraulic oil. so the braking and power steering circuits are separate, and have nothing to do with engine oil. remember to change your engine oil filter also. cheers.
ChrisInKC

Independence, MO

#3 Sep 22, 2008
DynPro wrote:
ok there are two possible locations for the engine oil filler cap. either on top of your engine (on the valve cover) or on the front structure of the engine (timing gear cover). the power steering is not connected in any way to the braking system, attleast it shouldnt, and uses hydraulic oil. so the braking and power steering circuits are separate, and have nothing to do with engine oil. remember to change your engine oil filter also. cheers.
Thanks for your reply! What I have determined is that the power steering pump is mounted next to, but not connected to the oil fill, although it looks like the fill tube goes straight into the pump. The other fill cap I was seeing was the power steering, which I discovered after chipping off a nasty buildup to reveal writing on it. The power steering and brake systems are connected, but not by the fluid exactly. The braking system uses power from the power steering pump (in emergency high braking situations only) by some transfer inside the brake control. The fluids dont mix, only power is transferred. It is so hard to find any info about these chassis and this engine, I am still looking for someone to help me with my parking brake issue (on the back of the allison).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Caterpillar Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
cat engine 3406 crank no start problem (Jan '09) 7 hr Longlow 85
The new C15 acert engine (Jan '06) Sun sunny84 850
CAT 350 excavator overheating (Jun '08) Sun geday hinsa 22
I have no power no boost c15 bridge (Jan '14) Jun 23 KEVIN 15
Cat engine 3126 (Oct '06) Jun 22 lineman 710
High exhaust gas temps cat 3406, what could be ... (Sep '10) Jun 18 Serg 4
low oil pressure c13 (Nov '09) Jun 16 Lloyd 24
More from around the web