Judge tosses out Continental Airlines...

Judge tosses out Continental Airlines suit claiming 9 pilots got sham divorces

There are 15 comments on the KDVR story from Oct 19, 2009, titled Judge tosses out Continental Airlines suit claiming 9 pilots got sham divorces. In it, KDVR reports that:

A federal judge Monday tossed out a Continental Airlines Inc. lawsuit accusing nine pilots of getting sham divorces so their ex-spouses could collect the pilots' retirement benefits while they kept flying.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KDVR.

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#1 Oct 19, 2009
So when a non upper management person finds a loophole in the system, and uses it there is a lawsuit. When the upper management gets awarded bonuses from thier buddies on the board of directors that is not a problem?
Nomad

United States

#2 Oct 19, 2009
The SCABs triumph again.
Floyd

Denver, CO

#3 Oct 19, 2009
Prost wrote:
So when a non upper management person finds a loophole in the system, and uses it there is a lawsuit. When the upper management gets awarded bonuses from thier buddies on the board of directors that is not a problem?
Actually this is NOT a pilots vs. management scenario. The fact is that they are screwing their fellow pilots. Sooner or later if this scam continues the lump sum option will disappear. Currently CAL pilots can take 100% of their retirement in a lump sum. This is one of the few good deals from CAL.

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#4 Oct 19, 2009
Floyd wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually this is NOT a pilots vs. management scenario. The fact is that they are screwing their fellow pilots. Sooner or later if this scam continues the lump sum option will disappear. Currently CAL pilots can take 100% of their retirement in a lump sum. This is one of the few good deals from CAL.
Doesn't the tax man just rape you then? I guess grab what you can now is better than hoping you don't lose most of it like UA et.al.
flying

Melbourne, FL

#5 Oct 20, 2009
Nomad wrote:
The SCABs triumph again.
This guy is a idiot. He has been spoon feed all his life and never had to fight for his living. GROW UP.

Willing to bet he went right from college to a commuter to the majors in 3 years or less because of the timing not because he was the most qualified out of hundreds or even thousands of other appllicants when jobs were scarces.

Then again this so called man would let his kids go hungry just for his false pride.

There is so much more to be said, but I have waisted enough of my time on this piece of trash.
Floyd

Denver, CO

#6 Oct 20, 2009
Prost wrote:
<quoted text>Doesn't the tax man just rape you then? I guess grab what you can now is better than hoping you don't lose most of it like UA et.al.
No, the tax man does not rape you if you are smart enough to roll it over into an IRA and you do not make large withdrawals until you are 59 and 1/2 years old. As far as grab what you can is concerned, Yes but do it legally. Otherwise we could all just go rob a bank in preparation for our retirement. The Delta guys bailed out although I think they could only take 50% in lump sum. The difference is that they had to retire, which when you think about it is when you usually expect to get RETIREment. In UAL's case, yes, bankruptcy sucks but CAL is nowhere near bankruptcy. Nice for a change!
Insidethebeltway

United States

#7 Oct 20, 2009
Facts will show that Continental, under the worst management team in many years lost millions of pension dollars in the recent market collape. they are only trying to recoop some money so they don't look so bad in the near future when this will come to light. Stay tuned, there will be much more to come on this. These pilots are going to win on the double down.
Floyd

Denver, CO

#8 Oct 20, 2009
Insidethebeltway wrote:
Facts will show that Continental, under the worst management team in many years lost millions of pension dollars in the recent market collape. they are only trying to recoop some money so they don't look so bad in the near future when this will come to light. Stay tuned, there will be much more to come on this. These pilots are going to win on the double down.
And perhaps you can name the corporate management that MADE millions of dollars for their pensions in the big market collapse. Even Warren Buffet lost BILLIONS. How did YOU do?
Insidethebeltway

United States

#9 Oct 20, 2009
My friend Floyd,

The management of CAL has lost nothing for themselves. In fact the board of directors give the CEO's of airlines full pension benefits even though they have worked there half the required time. The pilots pension is independent of all other employees at CAL and it was squandered by a slimy Harvard bean counter mentality.

Fact: Airlines executive do not lose their pensions when they leave. In fact hey receive a hefty golden severance package which usually includes an office on the top floor.

Please try to educate yourself as to who is the real criminal here.
Floyd

Denver, CO

#10 Oct 20, 2009
Insidethebeltway wrote:
My friend Floyd,
The management of CAL has lost nothing for themselves. In fact the board of directors give the CEO's of airlines full pension benefits even though they have worked there half the required time. The pilots pension is independent of all other employees at CAL and it was squandered by a slimy Harvard bean counter mentality.
Fact: Airlines executive do not lose their pensions when they leave. In fact hey receive a hefty golden severance package which usually includes an office on the top floor.
Please try to educate yourself as to who is the real criminal here.
Dear Inside,

I can't argue with the contention that executive compensation in this country is way out of line but I don't think the Cal folks come anywhere near qualifying for the top 100 highest paid executives. But that really has no bearing on the pilot's case. If you believe in stealing because someone else does, you are no better.

As far as squandering the pilot's retirement, they didn't squander mine, although it was paid out before the big crash. I don't know if you read the papers but there was a stock market crash a year ago. That is why the value of the retirement fund has fallen. The company has continued to fund the plan and I hear that about 200 pilots will be retiring next month WITH THEIR FULL, UNSQUANDERED LUMP SUMS!

I can tell you suck up all of the "gotta hate your company" union propaganda and that because you are a pilot the world owes you a zillion dollars a year, but keep in mind who signs your paycheck because if your company goes out of business, ALPA isn't going to send you your salary.
Insidethebeltway

United States

#11 Oct 21, 2009
You sound like a brown nose sim instructor I used to know.
Floyd

Denver, CO

#12 Oct 21, 2009
Insidethebeltway wrote:
You sound like a brown nose sim instructor I used to know.
And you sound like the guy who I had to fail because he had a bad attitude and his flying was below minimum standards.
oh well

Roseville, CA

#13 Oct 21, 2009
I thought Continental had good relations with their unions, but the tone of the comments sounds otherwise?

Regarding these 9, there was nothing in the rules that prevented them, so although the action they took was maybe morally regrettable, it was not forbidden by the pension rules.

In this day and age, if I thought my pension was going to go away or get cut by a large percentage, I might be tempted to do the same. If, you know, I was a married pilot nearing retirement age.:)
Karnack

Humble, TX

#14 Aug 2, 2011
Inside is a genius -

"Facts will show that Continental, under the worst management team in many years lost millions of pension dollars in the recent market collape. they are only trying to recoop some money so they don't look so bad in the near future when this will come to light. Stay tuned, there will be much more to come on this. These pilots are going to win on the double down."
Skyking

Union, NJ

#15 Aug 2, 2011
What's really sad for the pilots is the fact that the company is using monies destined for retirement to fight this lawsuit. That CAL for you. Even the judges in the 5th circuit asked the CAL lawyers why they were wasting money on this lawsuit. Go to www.savecalpilots.com , your retirement page for more information than you will ever need.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Continental Airlines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Talkative Toddler Kicked Off Plane (Apr '08) Dec '15 Raymond 135
News Continental Airlines Unveils State-of-the-Art P... (Apr '06) Jun '15 Troll Fang 2
News JetBlue launches pilot recruiting program (Jan '08) Mar '15 gspce7 23
News Which U.S. airline was America's meanest in 2013? (Apr '14) Apr '14 CARVIP 1
News Can United Airlines fix itself? (Jan '13) Feb '14 CaptJoe 10
News Revisiting the Ghosts of Airlines Past (Feb '14) Feb '14 CaptJoe 1
News Who's the world's largest airline? In July, it ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 OneWorld SkyTeam ... 1
More from around the web