The 23 Best Countries for Work-Life Balance

Jan 5, 2012 Read more: www.theatlantic.com 8

Northern Europe leads the world in laying out a social safety net for children and poorer parents, but the U.S. snags a top-five finish in the key "Working Mothers" category

With the lowest child-poverty rate among developed nations, Denmark was named the best country for work-life balance in a 2011 report from the OECD.

All three Scandinavian countries -- Denmark, Sweden, and Norway -- finished in the top seven in the ranking. So famous for their generous social safety net, which sharply divides liberals and conservatives between envy and consternation, northern Europe dominated the list, taking almost all the top ten spots.

Read more
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

#1 Jan 5, 2012
All LOONS should embark on the good ship LOLLYPOP to the Land of OZ!.....there to be bleed to death with HIGH PERSONNEL TAXES....A FART FACTORY these country...EUNUCHS all!.....Its the COLD there ya see..DULLS THE BRAIN!...Then again its not a melting Pot,No illegal Immigration,No African Americans.Muslims,Indians,Jews ,Italians,Poles,Just themselves...All Robotic Nerds!just Fair Skinned,Blond,Blue Eyed ,talking the same language....A VANILLA SOCIETY...When You cut the Nuts off a VIKING ya get this!!.They can Stuff it...

THE LIGHT HOUSE OF THE WORLD IS AMERICA1..Always was,and always will be....AMERICANS are not running abroad,but rather those abroad are coming here...HOW BAD CAN THAT BE!..Except for LOONS..

They Are NO WHERE!After DESTROYING AMERICA..Now they look to those nitwits???//SHIP LEAVES TOMORROW for loons...who would be rejected no doubt...ALL NITWITS!
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

#2 Jan 5, 2012
I just read this,,..FUNNY!..The more things Seem to Change,the More it Stays The Same!..EVERYWHERE!!

STOCKHOLM (AP)— A new wave of execution-style shootings in Sweden's third largest city has left police puzzled, raising concerns that Malmo has become a magnet for gang-related killings.

On Thursday dozens of police took to the streets in the southern Swedish city of 250,000 to try calm the public and to collect tips about the attacks, which come only a year after a suspected serial shooter was arrested there.

"We've never experienced anything like this before. It's exceptional that there have been so many murders in such a short period of time," police spokesman Lars-Hakan Lindholm said. "People are worried of course and want to talk about it."

http://news.yahoo.com/wave-shootings-baffle-s...
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

#3 Jan 5, 2012
Sorry cracks me up..want that life..??? Move to California,or Rode Island...to pay for the LOONY befits?.CRADLE TO GRAVE!..THEIR TAXES WILL AND ARE GOING SKY HIGH....Today more people are getting the hell out of California,,,THAT LOONY DISASTER..like these countries mentioned ...Really FUNNY!

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#4 Jan 5, 2012
CHECK SIX wrote:
All LOONS should embark on the good ship LOLLYPOP to the Land of OZ!.....there to be bleed to death with HIGH PERSONNEL TAXES....A FART FACTORY these country...EUNUCHS allALL NITWITS!
Europeans are not coming here. The only people coming here are poverty-stricken. Their own countries don't want them and they'ree a drain on us. Europeans are perfectly happy where they are. They have few worries, unlike many Americans who worry every day they won't have a job or a home or be treated for their cancer or get to retire. People work their asses off at jobs they hate for little or nothing for years and years only to have some Wall Street scam steal their retirement investment. People watch themselves grow poorer while a very small segment of the US grows ever richer. People who come out of college deep in debt only to end up working at Whole Foods.

America's not teeming with Europeans right now. It's teeming with Mexicans, Guatamalans, Hondurans, Venezuelans, Somalians, Ethiopians.

"Poverty rose for the second straight year in a row, according to Census Bureau figures released last Friday (September 26). The share of the U.S. population with income below the poverty level rose to 12.1% from 11.7% in 2001. That means nearly 1.7 million more people slid into poverty in 2002, resulting in a total of 34.6 million.

Immigration is clearly exacerbating America’s poverty problem. Its effect is felt in two ways. First, many immigrants are themselves poor. Second, immigrants compete with and displace native-born Americans, driving them into poverty.

How large a direct role does immigration play? The new Census Bureau figures show:

· Immigrant poverty is significant: Of the 34.6 million U.S. residents in poverty, about 16%(5.6 million) are immigrants.
· Plus another 7.5%(2.6 million) are actually the American-born minor children of immigrant mothers, counted as “U.S. natives” by the Census.
· Plus the descendants of post-1965 Immigration Act influx now living in poverty – i.e. most of the 4.2 million American-born Hispanic poor and virtually all the 250,000 American-born Asian poor. That’s almost 13%.
· It’s increasing: more than one in five (21%) of the persons added to the poverty rolls in 2002 were immigrants.>>>

Other countries aren't sending us their rocket scientists and brain surgeons. Europeans realize what side their bread's buttered on, and they wouldn't trade what they have to come here. Interestingly, very few wealthy Europeans choose to live in America, despite the fact they would save significantly on their taxes.

Were I able to, I'd leave this country. It's not the America I grew up in and was proud of. But it's a lot easier to get into the US than get out of it. Most other countries have much more difficult immigration policies because they WANT to keep out the riff-raff.
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

#5 Jan 5, 2012
What PAY CEO says has good meaning and interpretations of America today.Europeans did come here,in the great migrations.Escaping Famine,war,Poverty.They brought them selves,and their values.family,hard work,and with new citizenship.

Often less than one generation,they went from cheap labor,shoe makers,news stand people,to see their children becoms professionals.doctors,Lawyers, Educators,and yes politicians

I see new waves now,our Indian,Chinese,Japanese,and other Orientals.They too come.leagley.They too have great family values,great work ethics,great enterpronores

Like previous great immigrations,leagley they have already contributed mightly to America...They like all are the salt of the earth.

Now we have illegal immigration.Hords of poor people,oppressed people.longing for a better life.

Actually denied entry,they resort to breaking the law,and come.
Whos fault is that?? Its ours of course..the Cheap labor,a nod and a wink,mostly weak borders.

Their numbers tempting for Votes..and their may be the answer!

That question came up..what to do with those "WET BACKS" who are here for 25trs or so??

Tough question..They assimilated,have kids,grand kids,work,pat taxes,serve in the military,and VOTE..Yes VOTE..and that's what the conversation is about

I know its most resentful to the old illeagles..makes them uneasy for the possible solutions

But my friend,Its still America,getting older,a bit tarnished,often mismanaged,but still our beloved America.

Still the Statue Of Liberty greets any who come,Still the dreams are here..Still we have Freedom,Democracy ..Still the world looks at us as the great example of leadership,humanity,freedom,an d dreams for the things that are good,and not for the things that are bad...I know you think thats so...Thanx My Friend..and GOD BLESS AMERICA!
GBA

Royal Oak, MI

#6 Jan 5, 2012
There is more to life than work and $$$.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#7 Jan 6, 2012
Check Six - I love it when you converse instead of rant.

You're right. Europeans settled America and came in droves to escape poverty in Europe during the 19th century. They eventually built the businesses and factories that made the country great. Those businesses and factories are no longer here. We have no jobs for the millions who come seeking something better. We barely have decent jobs for those of us already here. Everything you say about illegal immigration is true.

I'm disappointed in my country. I'm an American many, many generations over but what I've watched over the last 30 or so years has brought me to the point of disgust. War. Always war. Neverending. Money and lives gone without a second thought. I've come to realize the US is either war-mongering or so addicted to war that it cannot survive without it. Hate. My country is hateful from the top to bottom. We hate everything and everyone and live in a constant state of paranoia. We suffer from a severe case of arrested development. We reject growth and change at every turn. Greed. I've never seen such a destructive and obnoxious amount of greed. Divisiveness. There is nothing united about the United States. We've become so individually self-centered that we put our own personal wants and beliefs above and beyond that of the common good of our nation. Shall I go on?

I didn't just jump the border yesterday. I've seen the US changing for the worse for decades, yet we continue down the same path of disintegration with a self-righteous belief that we know best and we know all.

Well, maybe not. Maybe it would do us good to take a hard look at ourselves and seriously examine our past and make some positive changes to our nation BEFORE we come face to face with the brick wall we are hurtling towards at break-neck speed. That means everyone. Democrats, Republicans and everyone in between. Do we really like where we are? Does one party really lead better than another? No and NO.

Part of the reason Scandinavia is considered such a great place (Finland has the happiest people on earth) is because #1 - they are ALL scandinavian. They don't worry about their culture, languages or country being diluted or destroyed by others. They aren't having to support hundreds of millions of non-Scandinavians which is why they can afford a great social system that protects them and gives them peace of mind. They don't have to claw and fight and clamor their way through the system to get educated or get a job or or see a doctor or retire. They don't have to struggle and worry and face years of educational debt or widespread home foreclosures or massive job layoffs or be told their illness isn't covered under their insurance plan.

While Scandanavians live in peace with the world and themselves, the US can't NOT go without a fight. While Scandanavia would rather spend its money educating its children and taking care of its people, the US would rather spend money bombing and rebuilding foreign countries.
And I'm sure someone here will say to me "well, if you think Scandanavia is so great, go live there..." And that statement right there sums up America. We think we are so damn perfect that we will NEVER, EVER make our country better for ourselves. We will never see room for improvement or make the necessary changes it would take to have a nation we can all be comfortable and proud of. Instead, our stupidity and stubbornness will eventually lead to our own demise.
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

#8 Jan 6, 2012
Well said,yes its great when the exchange of ideas can be done civilly..On TOPIX...but its TOPIX,our personnel lil venting tool..Its like hitting ones head with a hammer,for when you stop it feels good!

I think we may agree that the Story of America ,is one of the finest thing ever to happen to man kind!

America as you know was forged in fire,unlike the French Revolution, Americans valued life.Our constitution may be the greats document ever written.

The fact a TOPIX exists at all is a testament to our many freedoms.

We are after all human beings with inherent faults,this as Americans is also..But Who, Where, Or What would you rather be!

When Politics get rough,I go back and re read the Jefferson,Addams approach then.By comparison today's rhetoric in politics is relativity tame.

Democrats,Republicans ,we are all Americans1..And as always in our National interest,security,Wars, we are one...So many miscalculate this.

In The Fields of Honor thru out the world,the grave markers do not indicate weather the kid was A DEMOCRAT or a REPUBLICAN..Just an American is here!!

Let ya in on a little secret Pres. Hoover was my President when born.seen 13 Presidents,experienced them all,lived already for 1/3 of our nations life.In all that time,I never,ever gave up on the American dream.And never will.CHEERS TO YA!

Enough BLOVAITING!!
Now back into the Arena of TOPIX..Let The Games Begin!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

BusinessWeek Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Adulthood, Delayed: What Has the Recession Done... (Feb '12) Dec '13 Johnny2071 6
News China Wants to Cut Down on Coal -- And That's B... (Oct '13) Oct '13 SpaceBlues 1
News Video: Frank Luntz on IRS scandal: administrati... (May '13) Jun '13 See the light 40
News BusinessWeek: Karl Rove Jokes About Todd Akin's... (Aug '12) Sep '12 the rest of us 46
News The Economic History of the Last 2,000 Years in... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Patriot 1
News David Sirota Smears Obama Campaign Manager Jim ... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Mitt s Dog Crate ... 1
News How America Spends Money: 100 Years in the Life... (Apr '12) Apr '12 PayThat CEO 4
More from around the web