'Million dollar tortoises' shed light on state's environmental ...

They might be the most expensive tortoises to walk the San Bernardino County desert. Full Story
allrighty then

Hesperia, CA

#1 Jan 1, 2010
A million dollars per totoise? This is an eco-nut government shakedown. The most dangerous things to these tortoises are ravens and coyotes, and of course the tortoise "protecton" fences the eco-nuts forced the state to build( they never like to mention how many those kill; it's a huge number).How much do I get for shooting the ravens and coyotes that kill and eat those million dollar totoises on a regular basis, or by tearing down those ridiculous death-trap fences?That's got to be worth something, pay up.
I DONT GET IT

Apple Valley, CA

#2 Jan 1, 2010
THIS IS STUPID!
InsideGOV

Santa Clara, CA

#3 Jan 1, 2010
Reporter needs to look Deeper CB ELLIS -Senator and Land history
delru

Corona, CA

#4 Jan 1, 2010
My daughter has licenses to have the desert tortoises she has rescued. They live on 3/4 of an acre. Along with the property came a 4 bedroom 2 bath home, with 2 car garage and a workshop for about $140,000. Bet she would take a few more tortoises in on a rescue basis for....say...$12.5 million and save the company half the cost!
SAW

Montclair, CA

#5 Jan 1, 2010
I don't know. Forever is a pretty long time. Maybe they could agree to protect the land for 40 or 50 thousand years or so, and then re-evaluate the situation.
Casey Verdant

Needham, MA

#6 Jan 1, 2010
BrightSource Energy is doing the right thing in relocating these tortoises. Their 4,000 acre solar farm will fuel the state of Nevada and surrounding regions and the million dollar per turtle relocation plan is worth the expense.

If you’re interested in solar energy or any other alternative energies, check out http://www.greencollareconomy.com . It has hundreds of case studies on emerging green technology and solar power. It's also the largest b2b green directory on the web.
frank

Bakersfield, CA

#7 Jan 1, 2010
California has good weather. That's the only nice thing to be said about it anymore. How embarrassing.
jodp

Livermore, CA

#8 Jan 1, 2010
The main problem here is that big business, supposedly "green" or not, is at loggerheads with what works. Any project that risks even more habitat or endangers even more species than have already been stressed because of human activity is inherently flawed.

There is no need for many alternative energy sources to be centralized. The only reason this is done is to grow an industry.

If the government, local and national, wants to do what is right, they should promote ways for individuals to get off the grid, not just substitute another grid.
Idiocy

Austin, TX

#9 Jan 1, 2010
And we wonder why the state's in financial trouble. Environmentalism is self-defeating. "Let's build clean energy!- oh wait, that would mean destroying habitats! We can't do that!"

Genius.
Tortoise Soup

United States

#10 Jan 1, 2010
This is a joke. I say we have some tortoise soup, and deny the project on principal.

Anyone that would spend 25mil on relocating a few useless animals needs their head examined.
EnergyRevolution

Graz, Austria

#12 Jan 4, 2010
Tuvalu's kids, living on this small island in the pacific whose highest point is about 5 feet, will be drowned in the rising sea, and those cynical pseudo environmentalists say the tortoise goes first ... disgusting! Give a little cash for each desert tortoise collected on the construction field instead of complaining and they'll be collected by tourists, kids and later the construction workers ... as soon as the plant is ready they can move back in into their new shady home ;-) And I bet they won't find more than a few hundred, maybe a few thousand ... so you could even pay ... 100 USD each for the first 10, 95 USD each for 11 - 20, 90 USD each for 21 - 30,..., 10 USD each for 190 - 200, 5 USD each for 200 -..., until 20,000 USD are spent and the money shall be shared 50:50 between the construction firm and the complainers and I'll bet they will have a very hard time to spent that money ...
Pomona Mama

Chino Hills, CA

#13 Jan 4, 2010
Don't you know this is the only way the state and county can make money any more? It's all in the name of "environmental correctness", shake down any company, any industry all in the name of environmental issues. Look what happened with the spotted owl and what a hoax that was. It destroyed the lumber industry and now we must deal with rampant fires each season because we're not allowed to thin the forests properly. Look what happened a few years ago with protecting the kangaroo rat, look at the dust bowl in the San Joaquin valley where farmers cannot grow food for the people of California and the world all in the name of the Delta Smelt! Wake up people! The ARB,AQMD and EPA have been given too much control over our lives. If anything is mandated, it should go before legislation and voted on before enacted. This is completely ridiculous to pay that much money. We need to take control from those running the asylum.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

BrightSource Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BrightSource drops bid for solar tower that can... Oct '14 Solarman 3
Why Birds Are Igniting in Midair Over California Aug '14 Mega Monster 105
Shiny And New: World's Largest Solar Plant Open... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Solarman 1
BrightSource raises $15 million in a new equity... (Jul '13) Jul '13 KitemanSA 1
BrightSource Energy builds huge solar energy pr... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Solarman 1
ENERGY: Storage will make solar power reliable ... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Solarman 1
Huge solar power plants are blooming in Califor... (Oct '11) Oct '11 Solarman 2
More from around the web