BP Doubles Estimate for Oil Captured ...

BP Doubles Estimate for Oil Captured in Gulf Spill

There are 25 comments on the www.businessweek.com story from May 18, 2010, titled BP Doubles Estimate for Oil Captured in Gulf Spill . In it, www.businessweek.com reports that:

BP Plc said it doubled the amount of oil it's able to collect from the leak in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Louisiana to about 2,000 barrels a day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.businessweek.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Eleanor

Vernon Hills, IL

#2 May 18, 2010
Who cares how much they captured (and recovered in profits).

They should have PLUGGED the thing from the get go.

The environmental disaster could have been greatly limited had they PLUGGED the leak a long time ago.

Greedy little piggies lapping up barrels of oil while they allow the rest of it escape into the environment.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#3 May 18, 2010
So far BP's estimates are something the people in Vegas should take them up on. Whatever BP claims, bet against it. You're guaranteed to make money.

Then again, maybe that's why Vegas stays away.
Lance Winslow

United States

#4 May 18, 2010
It's not how much oil gets recovered; its how much oil doesn't get recovered that matters.
guess i lost again

United States

#5 May 18, 2010
maybe the russians could fix it
Ray

Fort Myers, FL

#8 May 19, 2010
BP should be closed , they had a public trust that they betrayed. they should pay with their company. What the did is unacceptable.
freebird

Mansfield, TX

#9 May 19, 2010
Eleanor wrote:
Who cares how much they captured (and recovered in profits).
They should have PLUGGED the thing from the get go.
The environmental disaster could have been greatly limited had they PLUGGED the leak a long time ago.
Greedy little piggies lapping up barrels of oil while they allow the rest of it escape into the environment.
THEY ARE DRILLING A RELIEF WELL AS WE SPEAK!!!!YOU CANT PLUG IT FROM TOP,DUMBASS!!!!!
Rob

Chattanooga, TN

#10 May 20, 2010
BP should be "taken over" at this point as the dollar amount of damages is going to be more than the company is worth. Any insurance they had should also be completely maxed out.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#11 May 20, 2010
Rob wrote:
BP should be "taken over" at this point as the dollar amount of damages is going to be more than the company is worth. Any insurance they had should also be completely maxed out.
Between them, TransOcean and Halliburton, I think they should continue until the environmental issues are resolved.

Then shut down all three.
you needs too know

United States

#12 May 20, 2010
Fmr. EPA Investigator Scott West: US Has Told BP "It Can Do Whatever It Wants and Wonít Be Held Accountable"
One month after the BP oil spill, we speak to Scott West, a former top investigator at the Environmental Protection Agency who led an investigation of BP following a major oil pipeline leak in Alaskaís North Slope that spilled 250,000 gallons of oil on the Alaskan tundra. Before West finished his investigation, the Bush Justice Department reached a settlement with BP, and the oil company agreed to pay $20 million. At the same time, BP managed to avoid prosecution for the Texas City refinery explosion that killed fifteen workers by paying a $50 million settlement
you needs too know

United States

#13 May 20, 2010
Concerned US Citizens

Boulder, CO

#14 May 20, 2010
Latest on oil volcano disaster.

Time to pay attention folks. This is REAL -

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMBKST889G_index_0....
let me reiterate

Ringwood, Australia

#16 May 20, 2010
An 'acoustic switch' would have prevented this catastrophe - it's a failsafe that shuts the flow of oil off at the source - they cost only about half a million dollars each, and are required in off-shore drilling platforms in most of the world...except for the United States. This was one of the new deregulations devised by Dick Cheney ...
freebird

Mansfield, TX

#17 May 21, 2010
let me reiterate wrote:
An 'acoustic switch' would have prevented this catastrophe - it's a failsafe that shuts the flow of oil off at the source - they cost only about half a million dollars each, and are required in off-shore drilling platforms in most of the world...except for the United States. This was one of the new deregulations devised by Dick Cheney ...
YOU MY FRIEND ARE FULL OF SHIT!!!!
Andrew

Australia

#19 May 22, 2010
freebird wrote:
<quoted text>YOU MY FRIEND ARE FULL OF SHIT!!!!
Actually no, he seems to be correct.
http://www.salem-news.com/articles/may142010/...
heimeia

UK

#21 May 22, 2010
BP are having a laugh arn't they!
they are oilslexic!
Concerned US Citizens

Boulder, CO

#23 May 31, 2010
Do you Think the Gulf Oil Spill was Created Deliberately to Shut Down Offshore Oil Drilling?

http://www.newswithviewsstore.com/polls.html
let me reiterate

Ringwood, Australia

#24 May 31, 2010
Apparently oil spill, perhaps not quite of this magnitude, are more common than we have been led to believe - we usually don't find out about them when they are out of sight in some region of the world that is poor.
LOL

Bradenton, FL

#25 May 31, 2010
let me reiterate wrote:
Apparently oil spill, perhaps not quite of this magnitude, are more common than we have been led to believe - we usually don't find out about them when they are out of sight in some region of the world that is poor.
You don't hear about them because the person in charge takes care of the problem........

Not so in the case of the Gulf oil spill......the person in charge didn't even know he was in charge until the leak had been going for 40 days.......
let me reiterate

Ringwood, Australia

#26 May 31, 2010
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't hear about them because the person in charge takes care of the problem........
Not so in the case of the Gulf oil spill......the person in charge didn't even know he was in charge until the leak had been going for 40 days.......
When mining companies are not held accountable, they cause horrendous environmental damage and they will hide their mistakes or laziness for as long as they can.

Here is one of many examples:

BHP dumped 80,000 tons of tailings (rock waste) containing copper, zinc, cadmium and lead directly into the Fly and Ok Tedi Rivers every day for two decades. This has ruined the lands of thousands of subsistence farmers, poisoned some 2,000 square kilometres of forest, polluted the Ok Tedi River and contaminated a section of the Fly River, PNGís second biggest river system, severely depleting fishing stocks.
let me reiterate

Ringwood, Australia

#27 May 31, 2010
Orissa faces a grave hazard that threatens to destroy its natural reserves and wildlife. Industrialisation has transformed the state, fragmented forests, intruded into corridors and interrupted traditional tribal life. Open cast mines gut the surface, denude landscapes; chemicals poison the water. The State Government and the Orissa Mining Corporation Limited seem to be working hand in hand to make Orissa the industrialistís dream (the cost of aluminium production in Orissa is one of the lowest in the world). The effort is to attract conglomerates like the Aditya Birla group, Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL), Tata Group, BHP-Billiton, Vedanta Resources, Rio Tinto mining and Alcan. The devastating combined environmental impact of most of these projects is totally ignored and without a change in policy, the ecological future of Orissa appears very bleak indeed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

BP Prudhoe Bay Royalty Trust Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BP ruled 'grossly negligent' in Gulf oil spill (Sep '14) Sep '14 Tuco Blondie 4
News Halliburton Admits Skipping Key Cement Test (Oct '10) Aug '14 swedenforever 15
News BP Covered Up Blow-out Prior to Deepwater Hori... (Apr '12) Mar '14 swedenforever 18
News Indian official: Diplomat's arrest in NYC barbaric (Dec '13) Dec '13 Jeff Brightone 1
News Suspect arraigned in motorcycle-SUV brawl in NYC (Oct '13) Nov '13 Daequan McRapeo 24
News Urban revitalization as a process: part 1, H St... (Nov '13) Nov '13 nova 1
News DealBook: Breuer Reflects on Prosecutions That ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Nancy 1