Fraking, An Oil Company Practice used in the Montebello Hills, is Scrutinized on HBO This Monday

Jun 19, 2010 Full story: latimesblogs.latimes.com 11

Imagine a siege of hydrocarbons spewing from deep below ground, polluting water and air, sickening animals and threatening the health of unsuspecting Americans.

No, we’re not talking about BP’s gulf oil spill. We’re talking about hydraulic fracturing of natural gas deposits. And if that phrase makes your eyes glaze over, start blinking them open. Fracking, as the practice is also known, may be coming to a drinking well or a water system near you. It involves blasting water, sand and chemicals, many of them toxic, into underground rock to extract oil or gas.

This practice, increasingly common in natural gas drilling, has been done in Montebello Hills for some time.

"Gasland," a compelling documentary on HBO airing Monday, June 21 ( 9 p.m. ET/PT), traces hydraulic fracturing across 34 states from California to Louisiana to Pennsylvania. The exposé by filmmaker Josh Fox, alternately chilling and darkly humorous, won the 2010 Sundance Film Festival’s special jury prize for documentary.

Full Story
Mtb Ecology Lover

United States

#1 Jun 20, 2010
The previous city councils of Montebello did know about this practice and were not inclined to question the oil company although concern has been expressed when Halliburton trucks were seen on the property. Because of the impact of the Save Montebello Hills Task Force, many more voters of Montebello have been made aware of oil field dangers. The new city council campaigned on an environmentally friendly platform and it is hoped that they will take the lead in finding out how Montebello residents may be negatively affected by this unnatural process which damages the structure of Our Montebello Hills and help protect the citizens.
screwu

Sunnyside, NY

#2 Jun 20, 2010
Mtb Ecology Lover wrote:
The previous city councils of Montebello did know about this practice and were not inclined to question the oil company although concern has been expressed when Halliburton trucks were seen on the property. Because of the impact of the Save Montebello Hills Task Force, many more voters of Montebello have been made aware of oil field dangers. The new city council campaigned on an environmentally friendly platform and it is hoped that they will take the lead in finding out how Montebello residents may be negatively affected by this unnatural process which damages the structure of Our Montebello Hills and help protect the citizens.
what the heck are you talking about. useless posting this is

are you BP?
Jason Platt

La Habra, CA

#3 Jun 20, 2010
As a resident of Los Angeles County who lives just a few miles from Montebello (in unincorporated West Whittier) and one who receives the Save Montebello Hills e-mails, I can vouch for the validity of the information in the post by Mtb Ecology Lover. My late mother was from Manhattan and she generally looked down on people from Brookly and based on the post (and user name) from Brooklyn, I can see why, unfortunately.
Concerned MTB resident

Cerritos, CA

#4 Jun 20, 2010
@ screwu: Actually i think your asinine comment was a useless post. If the previous comment by Mtb Ecology Lover was actually from BP, then it would favor the oil company. The comments left by Mtb Ecology lover favor the residents (like myself).

I am a resident, adjacent to the south side of the mountain where the drilling takes place. I too have been concerned about the impact of the oil drilling, both to my family and the environment. And now with the proposed development of new homes on the hill, there is an "unavoidable level of pollution" (taken verbatim from the environmental impact report) that will blanket the residents near the construction site.

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Since: Sep 08

Montebello, CA

#5 Jun 21, 2010
Every sentence of Montebello Ecology Lover is 100% true and accurate.

Before the dosumentary "Split Estate", most members of the Sierra Club in Montebello were not concerned with, or even were aware of, the practice of Fraking. Since the Save the Montebello Task Force had a free movie night at the city council chambers, followed by a panel of experts discussing the facts of the documentary, the practice has come under scrutiny here. About 60 residents attended and were educated about the dangers of living in close proximity to operating oil and gas wells.

Apparently, due to the unique geology of the Montebello Hills, and the fact that the noxious gasses tend to rise, Fraking has escaped general notice in Montebello. Such has not been the experience of Baldwin Hills, another PXP oil field. The wells are, in many cases, below the houses, and the stench and dangerous gasses are readily noticed there. Some houses have actually appeared to have been split up and broken by fraking there.

Finally, four of the five current city council members had written campaign literature that said that developing the Hills was a bad idea for Montebello, with one stating: "The Hills are Sacred." All five strongly believe that the present proposal for development is absolutely unacceptable.

I have met many people from Brooklyn, and they have mostly been perceptive and intelligent people. Sorry for this embarassment to that great borough.
BETTER OFF FRED

Randolph, NJ

#6 Aug 16, 2010
Jason Platt wrote:
As a resident of Los Angeles County who lives just a few miles from Montebello (in unincorporated West Whittier) and one who receives the Save Montebello Hills e-mails, I can vouch for the validity of the information in the post by Mtb Ecology Lover. My late mother was from Manhattan and she generally looked down on people from Brookly and based on the post (and user name) from Brooklyn, I can see why, unfortunately.
"My late mother was from Manhattan and she generally looked down on people from Brookly and based on the post from Brooklyn, I can see why, unfortunately."

Your mother probably was prejudice towards a few things you choose not to mention...Manhattan is not any better than Brooklyn. Don't judge the area by one person, if so then we would have to judge Manhattan by your mother. Did you smell the stink up there? Stick to what is important please.
julie

Ocala, FL

#7 Sep 13, 2010
what would you do if your well water lite on fire and smelled like methane there goes the value of your home and land. now what? how do you move if now one wants to buy. your house is your best investment do be fooled by gas and oil companies its all about profits, money money money.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#8 Dec 15, 2010
Jason Platt wrote:
I didn't mean to disparage all or even some residents of Brooklyn with my remark--I was just so disgusted with the comment. Unfortunately I can't remove that part of the comment but I do respect people no matter where they come from and it was wrong of me to say what I said regarding the people of Brooklyn and I apologize for it.
trash talk

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Dec 16, 2010
We need a "community services district" which has been proposed as part of both the General Plan and Montebello Hills Specific Plan process
Mark

United States

#10 Dec 16, 2010
Hope Corbett learns something
Tom

Toronto, Canada

#11 May 1, 2011

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

BP Prudhoe Bay Royalty Trust Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BP ruled 'grossly negligent' in Gulf oil spill Sep '14 Tuco Blondie 4
Halliburton Admits Skipping Key Cement Test (Oct '10) Aug '14 swedenforever 15
BP Covered Up Blow-out Prior to Deepwater Hori... (Apr '12) Mar '14 swedenforever 18
Indian official: Diplomat's arrest in NYC barbaric (Dec '13) Dec '13 Jeff Brightone 1
Suspect arraigned in motorcycle-SUV brawl in NYC (Oct '13) Nov '13 Daequan McRapeo 24
Urban revitalization as a process: part 1, H St... (Nov '13) Nov '13 nova 1
DealBook: Breuer Reflects on Prosecutions That ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Nancy 1
More from around the web