Letters: Editorial missing key point

Letters: Editorial missing key point

There are 7 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Dec 17, 2010, titled Letters: Editorial missing key point. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

The excellent editorial Tuesday in The Herald about methyl iodide correctly identifies its toxicity.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

peterpun

Pacific Grove, CA

#1 Dec 17, 2010
I also am a Vietnam vet, I must agree and congratulate Will Whitacre on his foresight and bravery in the political arena. It's hard when we realize we've been sold a fraudulent bill of goods. The corruption and continued lies are just all too much. It can be very enlightening and empowering to finally see the truth.

Since: Sep 10

Arden, NC

#2 Dec 17, 2010
Mr. Smith; It was explained to me years ago, regarding crime on the peninsula, that incidents such as yours are intentionally placed in inconspicuous places in the paper so as not to disrupt the tourism industry. Their theory, while probably accurate, is that people will not vacation in areas where crime is present, so they bury the stories. A good example is Salinas. How many tourists vacation there?

Since: Mar 09

Monterey Peninsula, CA

#3 Dec 17, 2010
fuzzyv2 wrote:
Mr. Smith; It was explained to me years ago, regarding crime on the peninsula, that incidents such as yours are intentionally placed in inconspicuous places in the paper so as not to disrupt the tourism industry. Their theory, while probably accurate, is that people will not vacation in areas where crime is present, so they bury the stories. A good example is Salinas. How many tourists vacation there?
Even if there was no crime in Salinas, tourists still wouldn't go there. Aside from the Steinbeck museum there's nothing for tourists to do there. Salinas certainly has nothing to compare with Point Lobos, Carmel, the Carmel Mission, 17 Mile Drive, Pebble Beach golf courses, whale watching, the aquarium, Cannery Row, Fisherman's wharf, the path of history, etc.

Mr. Smith is right that the story shouldn't have been buried. It didn't even take place in a touristy neighborhood. Years ago a woman was shot at random on Wharf #2, and it was front page news. Years before that there was a murder at a Carmel motel that was front page news. Why is this not front page news?

-Mr. Toy
www.montereypeninsula.info
The way it is

United States

#4 Dec 17, 2010
The gang problems ARE moving into the Peninsula.
If anyone thought it couldn't/wouldn't happen, they had their heads in the sand at Carmel beach.
sam

Pacific Grove, CA

#5 Dec 17, 2010
its good 2 hear that another republican has realized what the GOP is now & is coming over from the dark side. its sickening the repukelicans aren't helping the 9/11 heros but u watch, their day will come. more & more Will Whitacres r waking up 2 the scum of the GOP party. welcome 2 the light will ;-D
chaos

United States

#6 Dec 17, 2010
greedy, cruel, ignorant , self-enriching Liars these republicans have abondoned our american people
Herald Exposer

Risingsun, OH

#7 Dec 29, 2010
fuzzyv2 wrote:
I agree. As a lifelong Peninsula resident, I've seen the pattern. Also, don't forget the race factor: put Latino crime on the front page and you may be labeled a bigot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

BP Prudhoe Bay Royalty Trust Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BP ruled 'grossly negligent' in Gulf oil spill (Sep '14) Sep '14 Tuco Blondie 4
News Halliburton Admits Skipping Key Cement Test (Oct '10) Aug '14 swedenforever 15
News BP Covered Up Blow-out Prior to Deepwater Hori... (Apr '12) Mar '14 swedenforever 18
News Indian official: Diplomat's arrest in NYC barbaric (Dec '13) Dec '13 Jeff Brightone 1
News Suspect arraigned in motorcycle-SUV brawl in NYC (Oct '13) Nov '13 Daequan McRapeo 24
News Urban revitalization as a process: part 1, H St... (Nov '13) Nov '13 nova 1
News DealBook: Breuer Reflects on Prosecutions That ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Nancy 1
More from around the web