Local tech writers hope to save Borla...

Local tech writers hope to save Borland ducklings: Property manager...

There are 22 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Jun 28, 2010, titled Local tech writers hope to save Borland ducklings: Property manager.... In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

At the mucky edges of a half-drained, small pond, a family of young mallard ducklings, too young to fly, meandered Monday unaware that a handful of concerned local tech writers are anxiously working to find them a new home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sharon is SOD

Riverside, CA

#1 Jun 28, 2010
SOD = Sick of Developers. Grubb and Ellis can't wait a month? I know the big commercial real estate developers and property managers are dealing with significant vacancies but damn, can't they give the people who are asking for the 30 days, the time to do something for the ducks? Idiots.
Dr Mark

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Jun 28, 2010
Grubb and Ellis has to get a clue! how terrible would it be to leave the pond full another month or two?

I nominate them for the Grinch of the week award.
Jail CEOS

Capitola, CA

#3 Jun 28, 2010
I hope the Senile identifies the names and addresses of the executives that are sentencing the animals to death, and the workers to boredom.

What the h e l l is wrong with them!
mlzarathustra

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Jun 28, 2010
What? How can you NOT save baby ducks???

They should rename themselves "money-grubb and selfish, slaughterers of innocent, dew-eyed baby ducklings!"

Couldn't they be taken down to San Lorenzo park or something?
James Anderson Merritt

El Sobrante, CA

#5 Jun 28, 2010
Even thinking as a money Grubb-ing Ferengi, G&E should see the incredible public relations opportunity the ducks represent. The free advertising they would get for stepping in to "do the right thing" by the ducks would be priceless.

Do G&E have the lobes for profit?
James Anderson Merritt

El Sobrante, CA

#6 Jun 28, 2010
Failing any action on G&E's part, maybe someone could open a fund account for donations to pay for the upkeep of the pool until the ducklings were grown and living elsewhere?

I would certainly kick down "five bucks for the ducks."

Since: Jan 10

Santa Cruz, CA

#7 Jun 28, 2010
Quote from:
Lt. Don Kelly of the California Department of Fish and Game.

"When people start feeding the ducks, they become domesticated. Even if they're a wild strain, they get used to being fed," Kelly said. "They are essentially sentencing these animals to death because they water down the natural instinct to succeed on their own."
local yocal

Santa Cruz, CA

#8 Jun 28, 2010
Just bring them over to Vista Del Lago. They have ducks there. I'm sure a few more wouldn't hurt anything
AFLAC

San Francisco, CA

#9 Jun 28, 2010
All together now, awwwwwww. Can't they just fly away and find another pond?
wet n wild

San Jose, CA

#10 Jun 28, 2010
local yocal wrote:
Just bring them over to Vista Del Lago. They have ducks there. I'm sure a few more wouldn't hurt anything
Are those black swans still around at Vista Del Lago? There was Oberon and I can't remember the other one's name, it's been a zillion years.
Chucky D

Santa Cruz, CA

#12 Jun 28, 2010
What about amphibians that might have tadpoles in these ponds?
Just Sayin

Pacifica, CA

#11 Jun 28, 2010
X Kyuzmi wrote:
Quote from:
Lt. Don Kelly of the California Department of Fish and Game.
"When people start feeding the ducks, they become domesticated. Even if they're a wild strain, they get used to being fed," Kelly said. "They are essentially sentencing these animals to death because they water down the natural instinct to succeed on their own."
Lt. Kelly needs to have that talk with the folks who feed the panhandlers on Pacific.
developers

United States

#13 Jun 28, 2010
awwwwwwwwwww.
Do the developers know that the peons employed at their developement will turn and bite their masters? Yes, they do. Thats why the developers look elsewhere to develope. They provide a means to make a living for ungrateful peons, and even provide an unnatural environment for domesticated animals to use. But what happens when the developer goes bankrupt providing? Bad man, baaaaadddd.

Yah, I said it. You're spoiled little peons whining to a pseudo-blog paper that itself is trying to provide. Sucks that anchor ducklings are at risk. Think of the ducklings! Better yet, fire the peons and fine them when they themselves fail to keep feeding the ducklings with their foodstamps.
Just observing the facts supplied by the uber in-depth reporting of the Sentinel.
developers

United States

#15 Jun 28, 2010
Sorry, lost reality there. Everyone expects someone else to pay for what makes them feel warm and fuzzy. Cant someone spend money to make me feel better? Think of the ducklings! awwwwwwwww.
SCSal

Boulder Creek, CA

#16 Jun 28, 2010
Grubb & Ellis-Monsters. What horrible people would drain that pond knowing they may kill innocent animals. What is the world coming to. Someone with a stream or pond on their property, please save these ducks.
rando

Soquel, CA

#18 Jun 28, 2010
willow pond plaza on my herman has, oddly enough, a pond. many ducks call it home.
Mom

Boulder Creek, CA

#20 Jun 29, 2010
I was just there yesterday with a bag of duck food with my 4 kids to feed the babies we saw last week. It was not drained then so we had NO idea what was going on when we went back to the 2nd pond. We finally found the mother at the last filled main pond with only one baby.She had 4 cute little ones last week- I think they already died.
We will be there again today for swim.
been there

San Ramon, CA

#21 Jun 29, 2010
Roaring Camp has a pond and so does mtn hermon. Why not relocate them there?
Philip Kann duck hunter

Santa Cruz, CA

#22 Jun 29, 2010
The blood of these ducks along with the ruined lives of thousands is on your hands.
WhatTH

United States

#24 Jun 29, 2010
I honestly cannot understand what another month would matter - this seems really trivial in the grand scheme and I don't mean trivial for the ducks - I mean trivial for Grubbs & Ellis. Look at all of the bad PR you are generating - maybe it is a ploy so you can step in tomorrow and say "owww we didn't realize and of course we will keep it another month" or maybe you are cold, heartless and lack decency...we shall see.

PS: Ducks could be captured by Native Animal Rescue and relocated to Spring Lakes mobile home park in SV the old folk there do pay to maintain their pond and I am sure they wouldn't mind helping.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Borland Software Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Virtual Instruments Leaves SV; Nearly 100 emplo... (Dec '10) Dec '10 taxed 13
News Virtual Instruments Leaves SV; Nearly 100 emplo... (Dec '10) Dec '10 sebastapol 20
News Local tech writers hope to save Borland ducklin... (Jun '10) Jul '10 Live Oak Lover 25
News Borland fans raise $26K for Haiti (Mar '10) Mar '10 JJJ 1
News Borland memorabilia auctioned for Haiti recovery (Feb '10) Feb '10 LiveOakRocks 2
News Embarcadero to lease space at Granite Creek Bus... (Dec '09) Dec '09 beaker mcracken 8
News Few Scotts Valley employers hiring (Aug '09) Sep '09 Gdude 5
More from around the web